They don't need 850,000 additional apps, they need the core apps that people actually want to use. It's not hard to understand!. If the core apps existed there would be one less stepping stone to adopting BB, the more people that adopt it the more developers will look at the platform and the more money RIM could make off of AppWorld. You're right, they'll never be apple but by your reasoning they shouldn't even try to compete!!!! They should stick to what "differentiates" them, ie: lack of eco-system! Because that's ALL that matters to the 99.999999% of users that SKIP OVER BLACKBERRY... BLIND...

Elementary question to all the Crackberry posters demanding that BlackBerry adopt Apple's business model: why are there almost 1 million apps for iOS?

I'll answer it for you -- sales and the composition of the iPhone user base.

Second question: how can BlackBerry attract those 850,000 additional apps to BB10? They have to sell as many devices as Apple, and to the same audience. Which ain't gonna happen. Or, they'll have to pay out as much as those developers make from iOS in order to entice them to develop.

Which is about $20 billion so far, or around 14 times what BB has in the bank.

And I'm sorry you don't like the facts, but dems da facts.

Getting all those hot Apple apps is going to require BB to ape Apple. And BB ain't Apple. It never will be.

Heck, Android sells 4x as many devices as Apple worldwide, and even THEY cannot convince all of Apple's developers to start making stuff for their platform.

For those of you asking why I'm bringing up the iPhone, it's rather simple -- ALL of you are talking about an Apple-like experience.

And you also seem to think there's some magic wand that BB can wave to convince all those iOS developers to just come on over and start developing.

BB is going to sell devices to people who value what BB delivers and differentiates with. They'll certainly work to get all the apps they can, but they'll NEVER catch up to Apple, so insisting they should compete on apps is essentially insisting that BB focus on failing rather than on their own advantages.

I've been here before. Microsoft, for YEARS, was trying the catch-up strategy you're demanding, and Windows Phone languished. Even as the latest hot apps appeared, like Spotify and Instagram clients, criticism simply moved on to the next "hot app" like Snapchat. It's a losing strategy and Microsoft didn't start to gain users until it abandoned catch-up and started focusing on unique benefits, like ecosystem integration with Windows/MS services and Nokia's imaging technologies.

BB has to do the same thing -- with fewer resources than Microsoft.
    06-14-13 08:09 AM
    Elementary question to all the Crackberry posters demanding that BlackBerry adopt Apple's business model: why are there almost 1 million apps for iOS?

I'll answer it for you -- sales and the composition of the iPhone user base.

Second question: how can BlackBerry attract those 850,000 additional apps to BB10? They have to sell as many devices as Apple, and to the same audience. Which ain't gonna happen. Or, they'll have to pay out as much as those developers make from iOS in order to entice them to develop.

Which is about $20 billion so far, or around 14 times what BB has in the bank.

And I'm sorry you don't like the facts, but dems da facts.

Getting all those hot Apple apps is going to require BB to ape Apple. And BB ain't Apple. It never will be.

Heck, Android sells 4x as many devices as Apple worldwide, and even THEY cannot convince all of Apple's developers to start making stuff for their platform.

For those of you asking why I'm bringing up the iPhone, it's rather simple -- ALL of you are talking about an Apple-like experience.

And you also seem to think there's some magic wand that BB can wave to convince all those iOS developers to just come on over and start developing.

BB is going to sell devices to people who value what BB delivers and differentiates with. They'll certainly work to get all the apps they can, but they'll NEVER catch up to Apple, so insisting they should compete on apps is essentially insisting that BB focus on failing rather than on their own advantages.

I've been here before. Microsoft, for YEARS, was trying the catch-up strategy you're demanding, and Windows Phone languished. Even as the latest hot apps appeared, like Spotify and Instagram clients, criticism simply moved on to the next "hot app" like Snapchat. It's a losing strategy and Microsoft didn't start to gain users until it abandoned catch-up and started focusing on unique benefits, like ecosystem integration with Windows/MS services and Nokia's imaging technologies.

BB has to do the same thing -- with fewer resources than Microsoft.
    LOL There is no hope for you man hahaha What are you even talking about now? Nobody bought up apps or apple SMH Since you have problems responding to what people are actually talking about I will try to walk you thru it so we can actually have a discussion that makes sense.

"They can burn through all their cash playing catch-up, or they can play to their unique strengths. The former is a fool's strategy, the latter is restoring them to profitability." What are these unique strengths BlackBerry has over the competition.?

"For those of you asking why I'm bringing up the iPhone, it's rather simple -- ALL of you are talking about an Apple-like experience." What things did anybody in this thread ask for that is a "apple like experience"??? What marketing and innovation? Your the only person that keeps bringing up apple.
    06-14-13 08:16 AM
    You can see Thorsten Heins's German pedigree with his luxury desires.

Naming the Z10 is something similar to BMW branding. There is no hiding this. Sponsoring an F1 is silly at best, and a waste of marketing dollars. How about showing off his technology in a Bentley? These are things the average Blackberry consumer cannot relate to and is another waste of financial resources.

Formula One in North America has a very small following compared to Europe. Sponsoring Nascar would seem like it would draw more attention to the brand. My guess is Nascar isn't perceived as luxurious, like Hein's wants people to think of his brand.

If they want to market in the sporting world, especially in North America, they need to change their approach. In the US, they need to advertise or buy the naming rights to a sports facility, that is either Football or Baseball. Nobody watches Hockey in the U.S., so stop wasting money there. Bowling gets better ratings over NHL.

In Toronto, they there is a ton of Blackberry sponsorship at the Rogers Centre where the Blue Jays play. personally for me, it's just white noise now, because it's everywhere there, and it's boring, and very forgettable. Much like their current marketing.

I think they are stuck in thier position right now. If they advertise on TV, they have to advertise their consumer presence. Noboby sitting at home waiting for their show to start gives a **** about Balance. But the problem is, BB10 doesn't do anything better or worse from a consumers perspective than Apple or Android can do. All three platforms have their own gimmicks, so Blackberry has to dig deep down, and think this through. Otherwise, people will keep moving, to other platforms...
    I agree 100%. From the beginning with the superbowl commercial marketing has been downhill since. Even the alicia keys keep moving ads were a disaster. She actually had a apple product in one of her keep moving commercials lol Just horrible. Blackberry wants to get rid of its old image....without actually showing people what they are now. Which to be honest I own a z10 and i'm not even sure.
    GoJaysGo likes this.
    06-14-13 08:24 AM
    I'd like to meet this guy who created the first fart app. Since apparently this is the reason why everyone buys an iPhone he must be rolling in the dough.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-14-13 08:32 AM
    I'd like to meet this guy who created the first fart app. Since apparently this is the reason why everyone buys an iPhone he must be rolling in the dough.
    There are currently 44 Fart Apps for the Z10, and it's only been around since when?

Let's face the facts. Farts = fun...

Well blackberry...it's time for some real innovation and marketing..or it's game over!!!-screen-shot-2013-06-14-9.35.28-am.jpg
    06-14-13 08:38 AM
    Fart apps are merely the goto excuse from apologists to justify their device decision.

There are currently 44 Fart Apps for the Z10, and it's only been around since when?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 9.35.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	172022
    06-14-13 08:45 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 9.35.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	172022
    Wow. People are actually reviewing Fart apps...

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 08:49 AM
    BlackBerry needs to go on the offensive and show what their devices can do compared to the competition.

I think Microsoft's marketing (finally) has the right approach:

06-14-13 09:44 AM
    What were people at Blackberry doin for so many years to lag soo far behind?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    **** all
    06-14-13 11:21 AM
    At this state of the company I'm good. Plus what would you do with your "heins and blackberry does nothing wrong " t shirts.
    never said BlackBerry doesn't do anything wrogn or that they are the best thing ever. they have their issues but things don't happen over night and thats soemthign people don't realise.

a new OS is a new OS its goign to have bugs and its goign to need time to work out the kinks its really only been 5 months since BB10 was released and it wasn't released all in one shot on more then a few networks. will take some time before all the bugs are reported and worked out. to market a product now to the extent that Samsung and Apple do is just not the way things should go, throwing all these users all at once at a product that still has some hiccups will only cause more hate and abuse and slander from those saying BB10 is **** and can't compete, which is totally not true.

relax and let the team at BlackBerry do what they have to do, its still early in the life span of BB10 and Rome wasn't built over night
    06-14-13 12:25 PM
    Another thread derailed beyond recovery, even after the last warning. Warnings going out for the more egregious posts...

Closed before someone earns a ban
    06-14-13 12:31 PM
236 ... 8910