I've got a little bit of a story for anyone who cares to read.

About a month ago when I was working up north I met a guy who had a BlackBerry Storm (I'm pretty sure it was the Storm 1). We talked a little bit, but mostly about work. Then we made dinner plans, I told him to give me a call later and he said, "I'll try, but my phone is redlining [battery is dying]" he continued, "I charge this damn thing overnight, and by noon it's already starting to redline, it's probably not going to last through the day."

I told him that his battery probably just needs to be replaced, sounds like it's pretty old. I said, "Can I take a look at it?" To my surprise he just willingly handed over his BlackBerry to this complete stranger like it was candy. I took it and removed the battery door and took the battery out to find gunk, dirt, and other particles all over the place in the battery compartment. After watching me take the battery out he said, "now it'll never start up again!"

I cleaned out the inside, cleaned off the contacts on the device and the battery itself and put it back together. I didn't have time to watch it load up but I handed it to him.

Later that evening, at dinner I noticed that his BlackBerry was at 1/2 power, I asked him if he charged it. He said, "no, the damnedest thing happened. When I looked at it again after work it mystically had half charge! The damn thing is a phantom BlackBerry."

Of course he felt so happy to have a fixed BlackBerry that I didn't break his mood by telling him that I fixed it.

Good times we've had with these things!

Shane
    Last edited by strider2112; 03-10-11 at 11:42 AM.
    03-10-11 11:38 AM
    This reminds me of my manager at work. Running a 9630 on Verizon, and he is almost due for an upgrade. He comes into work, has a white screen with a 523 reload error I think. He took it to the Verizon store, and they said it was toast and could not be fixed, and they tried to sell him an HTC Android phone.

About an hour later, I had it back up and running. Upgraded his OS, and he was back on the phone. Nothing like being paid to fix your managers phone.
    03-10-11 12:23 PM
    Yeah that exact thing happened to my old Tour before it got stolen. That's exactly what I did. I actually used BBSAK to restore to defaults and I had the BlackBerry OS5 software in my pc at the time and it upgraded it for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 12:27 PM
    Good little read..... Its amazing how your average user of any tech takes no time to learn about their stuff. Its called GOOGLE which will lead you to CRACKBERRY!!!!!!

03-10-11 01:23 PM
    Well honestly majority of people aren't very tech savvy, so they just want a phone to work and could care less about the innards of a phone....**** some don't even realize about doing battery pulls...

Glad you got it working for him with better battery life, but the S1's battery life is well known for bad battery life in general.

Amazing he had all that gunk in there. He in construction?

I clean mine in a blue-moon and never had nothing like that in my battery compartment, granted I am in an office most the time.

03-10-11 03:21 PM
    Cute story. This part made me smile the most:
    To my surprise he just willingly handed over his BlackBerry to this complete stranger like it was candy.
    03-10-11 03:46 PM
    He does something very similar to what I do. We work in Instrumentation: more specifically Stack Gas Testing in Alberta. It is fairly dirty work (not like a mechanic mind you but still a little dirty) because we do gas, power, and cement.

Also Mr. One, the User's Manual clearly states to keep the battery compartment clean, and blackberry.com suggests routine cleaning of the terminals.

He brings it with him to every job site I imagine, probably since the Storm first came out; in that sense, it's no mystery to me as to how it got so dirty.

Shane

03-10-11 03:50 PM
    Some people just don't understand proper device maintaining practices.

Good on you for helping the guy out
    03-12-11 02:37 PM
    I've got a little bit of a story for anyone who cares to read.

About a month ago when I was working up north I met a guy who had a BlackBerry Storm (I'm pretty sure it was the Storm 1). We talked a little bit, but mostly about work. Then we made dinner plans, I told him to give me a call later

Shane
    i have to say, for a moment there, i thought i was getting a preview of a script taken from Brokeback mountain 2.
    anyway, i'm glad things turned out well for the BlackBerry.
    03-12-11 04:03 PM
    I know what you mean. I have done things like that so many times to peoples smarphones. A lot of basic consumers don't get to know the basics about there phone. It's kind of astounding.
    03-12-11 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD