Is there a way to tell on the phone itself how many MB I've used during web usage? I'm am considering a data plan that only allows 500 MB of web usage. I would only be using my 500 MB for MSN Messenger and Blackberry Messenger. How easily would be to blow through 500 MB with just these alone?
    11-15-08 10:33 AM
    I would not take the chance and go for unlimited but that's just me. If your unlimited you can browse also which is nice.
    11-15-08 11:09 AM
    Don't take the chance. I spoke to Verizon about the same thing and the woman told me it's something like $1.20 for every MB you go over... definitely not worth it.
    11-15-08 11:17 AM
    I guess it depends what you do with it. I used my blackberry browsing and stuff constantly last month and only used like 70mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 11:57 AM
    I am still 10 days away from new billing cycle and I am on my data constantly. So far I have used almost 200,000 KB.

11-15-08 12:12 PM
    Go unlimited. Its saved me money in the long run.

11-15-08 12:18 PM
    What's the price difference between your 500mb plan and unlimited?

But yea unlimited is the better way to go, you don't have to worry about getting overcharged. But unless you're a heavy web browser you won't really go over 500mb.

And you say you only use it for MSN and BB Messenger, then I don't think you'll be going over 500mb unless maybe you're on it nonstop and sending files back and forth, but it's still highly unlikely to go that high just from messengers.
    11-15-08 01:16 PM
    What's the price difference between your 500mb plan and unlimited?

But yea unlimited is the better way to go, you don't have to worry about getting overcharged. But unless you're a heavy web browser you won't really go over 500mb.

And you say you only use it for MSN and BB Messenger, then I don't think you'll be going over 500mb unless maybe you're on it nonstop and sending files back and forth, but it's still highly unlikely to go that high just from messengers.
    The price difference would be $30 instead of $20. It's more of the overall cell phone bill that is holding me back. Spending $70 a month on my phone is outragous to me. I just won't do it. I may end up settling for a lower plan just using email and BB messengers.

I can't see myself using $500 MB on MSN messenger. I just wish there was a way to track amount of data used on the phone itself. I guess I could browse to my providers website but that would use data. lol
    11-15-08 02:51 PM
    When a plan says Unlimited personal email - with BlackBerry Internet Service only. This is what I would use for monitoring a Gmail account correct?
    11-15-08 02:59 PM
    My carrier offers a $15 / 1.5 Mb data plan. Over limit charges start at $10 Mb.

3 Mb, under this plan would cost $30. 50 Mb would cost nearly $500.

That is way too rich for me. Fortunately, the introduction of the iPhone with it's huge appetite for data prompted my carrier to offer a $30 / 6 Gb plan.

After my first month of "normal" use, I realized just how efficient BlackBerry data use is. I used less then 1 Mb.

A 500 Mb data plan will be more the enough for your use. The only way you could possibly use that much data would be nearly continuous streaming video or Internet tethering.

I just wish there was a way to track amount of data used on the phone itself. ...
    There is a built in data counter. Press the "C" while in Browser. Granted, it just applies to Browser, but that will give you a rough idea of your actual data use.

When a plan says Unlimited personal email - with BlackBerry Internet Service only. This is what I would use for monitoring a Gmail account correct?
    BIS only mean no Browser or third party applications data.

BIS allows you 10 email accounts, including Gmail.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-15-08 at 03:37 PM.
    11-15-08 03:28 PM
    myBoxTone - Empowering mobile users to manage their own experience

Will monitor the following:
    * Signal strength
    * Battery remaining
    * Memory free
    * Data sent/received
    * Calls made/duration

But I agree with the rest, unlimited is the way to go if you want no surprises.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-15-08 at 07:41 PM.
    11-15-08 07:38 PM
    myBoxTone - Empowering mobile users to manage their own experience

Will monitor the following:
    * Signal strength
    * Battery remaining
    * Memory free
    * Data sent/received
    * Calls made/duration

But I agree with the rest, unlimited is the way to go if you want no surprises.
    When reading this thread I was thinking that I would suggest this. Of course the last thread would have the answer. :-(

More importantly, I also agree about going unlimited.

11-15-08 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD