I know I once used the GPS on my storm with weaterbug but now I can't figure out how to do it again.

Anyone know?
    01-05-09 08:19 AM
    Go into the preferences and turn on "My Location."
    01-05-09 08:22 AM
    I have that checked so maybe its doing it and I just don't know. I remember the first time I used it I was prompted to have gps find my location.
    01-05-09 08:34 AM
    Weatherbug could never find my location, I always had to do it manually by hitting the BB key and location then just putting in your zip code.
    01-05-09 08:37 AM
    I had the same problem with Weatherbug and Google maps. Both are set to allow, and my location is turned on. Ooh well, it's only a Beta so I'm sure they will resolve the issue.
    01-05-09 09:18 AM
    go into advanced options and GPS and make sure the GPS is enabled.
    01-05-09 09:19 AM
    Doesn't Verizon block GPS for 3rd party apps?
    01-05-09 09:51 AM
    Correct. The apps cannot access GPS.
    01-05-09 09:54 AM
    Very incorrect. GPS works with weatherbug on both of my storms. It updates and changes zipcodes based on my location. And it works for most Storm users.
    01-05-09 10:00 AM
    Negatori. Two Storms so far and neither worked the GPS in Weatherbug or any other app like Google maps.
    01-05-09 10:08 AM
    This is incorrect. I've had it working just fine with several different apps, including WeatherBug.

However, IF you used VZNavigator or perhaps BB Maps (I haven't been able to confirm the testing I did with BB Maps - results were inconsistent) you have to be sure those apps (VZN or BBM) are CLOSED and not using the GPS. If it's not working either: one of those apps isn't really closed, or permissions / locate options aren't set right.

For some reason, those apps get control of the GPS and don't seem to want to relinquish it to other programs.

Interestingly, if you fire up WeatherBug (the newest version) THEN use BBMaps or Garmin's Navigator, (I uninstalled VZNav last night), they work fine and WeatherBug does also.

With the NEW WeatherBug, you start the program and tell it to "locate me" and within a minute or so (assuming good GPS reception) it grabs the nearest local weather (and you can click on the map button in WB and it'll be centered on your GPS), and then retains it until you move to another location. You can set it to update on intervals of 15, 30, 60 minutes and it'll keep your weather location current (VERY KEWL APP!!!)...
    01-05-09 10:14 AM
    Negatori. Two Storms so far and neither worked the GPS in Weatherbug or any other app like Google maps.
    GPS on the Storm is unlocked, if not, how are people on here using telenav, nav4all, and garmin? I;ve tried all of these, and it works flawlessly.
    01-05-09 10:18 AM
    Weatherbug gps works fine for me. I just took a long trip and was always able to update my location correctly.
    01-05-09 10:45 AM
    As far as I can tell, GPS is open to all 3rd party apps. The only application that can't access it is Google Maps. This, however, is due to the current software not being 100% compatible with the storm. A future Google update is supposed to resolve this issue. I use Weatherbug, Nav4All, and garmin without any GPS issues.
    01-05-09 10:51 AM
    I even got google maps to work with mine. Just have to be absolutely sure all the other apps that use the GPS are closed...
    01-05-09 12:41 PM
    there is no way you got google maps to work as far as to the 'T' correct location. It gives you an assumption of around 1500 Kil
    01-05-09 01:08 PM
    I know I once used the GPS on my storm with weaterbug but now I can't figure out how to do it again.

Anyone know?
    I found on another post somewhere that if you have Location Aiding in the GPS configuration turned on, then you may have problems with third party GPS applications. I had the same problem with Weatherbug and changed this setting to off and all is now well.
    01-15-09 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD