If a dual-core Blackberry seems faster than a quad-core Android to the end user, then specs do have a range of grey area.
    BlackBerry expects us to use more and more Android apps for our consumer application needs. This means we will need Android-levels of hardware if they want people to have a good experience with these Android apps.

Android apps require more computing muscle to execute since they are written in Java and executed in a runtime (even on Android phones). There is no such thing as a "native" Android app (even on a clean Nexus Android phone).

BlackBerry's own marketing of the Classic touts how it comes pre-installed with the Amazon store.

But, even if you never plan to ever use an Android app. The hardware is still very very outdated. I experience slowdowns already on my Z10 using certain webpages (like "Disqus" comment sections) on my Z10 that I don't have with my Z30. So, just for Web browsing, you will want to have newer hardware.

Now that HTML 5 has been standardized, you will likely see more and computing done in the web browser. This requires a fast CPU and graphics hardware to process quickly.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 01:01 PM
    Setting aside the price, are there no 2014 phones with similar specs?
    Probably some 99$ Chinese Android phones?
    Those specs are so outdated that no self-respecting manufacturer would even produce a phone with them at the end of 2014, to be honest.
    12-06-14 06:48 AM
    Those specs are so outdated that no self-respecting manufacturer would even produce a phone with them at the end of 2014, to be honest.
    Self-respecting manufacturer = in-house chip users plus race-to-the-latest manufacturers apparently. Seriously, the main reason that the chip us not used in any other phones is because Apple and Samsung use their own chips and every other phone is obsolete as soon as it hits stores as there's multiple phones with better specs and lower price on the way.

And of the others, note that virtually all of them are taking a loss in their handset business.
    12-06-14 11:42 AM
    Well, until we do get a new full touch, my new- old Z30 is working great.

From my sexy Z30 on OS 10.3.0.1154
    BigBadWulf and mnc76 like this.
    12-06-14 07:05 PM

And mine is on the way.
    Blacklatino and BB_Junky like this.
    12-06-14 07:25 PM

Same here

I don't know how I used a phone without the Z30's battery life before.

I do sometimes miss the one-handed ease my Z10 provides though.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    Blacklatino likes this.
    12-06-14 09:49 PM
    Well of course not, because as a Chinese Android OEM, or any Android OEM for that matter, specs are the only thing that's selling your phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 03:45 AM
    Well of course not, because as a Chinese Android OEM, or any Android OEM for that matter, specs are the only thing that's selling your phones.

Posted via CB10
    Have you looked at the new Windows phones?
    The new iPhones (heck, even the 5 without S has better specs than the Classic)?

Not one of them would dare to launch such a phone in December 2014/ January 2015, at a price point of 450$.
    Even Motorola learned that lesson with the Moto X, when they pulled a BlackBerry and wanted to sell midrange hardware for 600$ (the same thing BlackBerry tried with the Z30).
    This year they used top of the line specs for that phone.

As always, the reason is simple: We have a market that is segmented by specs.
    And usually, selling low-end specs for the price of high-end hardware, doesn't work.

The thought that only specs sell an Android phone is, at best, mildly amusing, and at worst, a wilful misrepresentation of the market.
    But it's not really a surprise that you still can't accept how the vast majority of the smartphone market works.
    NoAhB0Dy and BB_Junky like this.
    12-25-14 06:35 AM
    My trusty old z10 on LTE or Wi-Fi has a faster browsing experience, faster navigation in the OS, is quicker with maps and directions and offers a much faster typing experience than my wife's iPhone 6, though it has much lower specs.

I'm sure there are bloated Apps out there, or games that might slow it down, but apparently I'm not running any of them.

I never have to wait on the phone when I'm trying to accomplish a task.

A faster processor with a slow OS is not more productive. So someone please tell me, why on earth should I worry about technical specs? What would my phone do better?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-25-14 07:11 AM
    My trusty old z10 on LTE or Wi-Fi has a faster browsing experience, faster navigation in the OS, is quicker with maps and directions and offers a much faster typing experience than my wife's iPhone 6, though it has much lower specs.

I'm sure there are bloated Apps out there, or games that might slow it down, but apparently I'm not running any of them.

I never have to wait on the phone when I'm trying to accomplish a task.

A faster processor with a slow OS is not more productive. So someone please tell me, why on earth should I worry about technical specs? What would my phone do better?

Posted via CB10
    I have a diametrically opposed observation, when it comes down to performance.
    I received an HTC One M8 as a work phone, and my GF has an iPhone 6+....
    To say it simply, my Z10 doesn't even compare, except for the handling of written communication, as I think that the HUB is the gold standard here.

I will however answer the question in your last paragraph:
    To be honest, you don't have to care about specs because they are specs.
    You should care because of the performance you get and the $ you pay.
    BlackBerry could just as well have used better specs for the same price and you suddenly get a spec/performance ratio, that at least starts to resemble the competition.
    Simply said, if BlackBerry would start to accept the market paradigm of specs segmenting said market, you could either get the same performance for cheaper, or a better performance at the same price.

The Passport is actually a pretty good example of BlackBerry nearly getting it.
    That phone has pretty good specs and an acceptable price.
    It's dimensions apart, from the overpriced Classic or the Z30.
    And the difference in performance between the Classic (or a Z10 for that matter), is far greater than the price difference between the Classic and the Passport.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 12-25-14 at 08:10 AM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-25-14 07:29 AM
    If you think your Z10 is fast, and doubt what specs do, try switching to a Z30. Not much better specs, but even that .2mHz makes a noticeable difference in speed.

EOL will come into play soon too. You will see the Classic reach it at the same time the Z10 does, and that doesn't make a lick of sense for consumers.
    MarsupilamiX and Blacklatino like this.
    12-25-14 07:42 AM
    If you think your Z10 is fast, and doubt what specs do, try switching to a Z30. Not much better specs, but even that .2mHz makes a noticeable difference in speed.

EOL will come into play soon too. You will see the Classic reach it at the same time the Z10 does, and that doesn't make a lick of sense for consumers.
    EOL is actually a very good point I often forget. Furure proofing, through specs that should still be viable quite some time after a product release, is a standard practice for me, when I buy new electronic work devices/gadgets.

Btw, you forgot to mention the faaaaaar better GPU in the Z30, compared to the Z10 :P
    I honestly have no idea how coding works, but I'd imagine that hardware acceleration through a better GPU, gives better performance for certain forms of processing and especially a buttery smooth experience for GUI elements.

And the Passport obviously is in another league all together.
    Performance wise, the Passport of a co-worker really impressed me.
    BigBadWulf and Blacklatino like this.
    12-25-14 08:09 AM
    Enterprise usually means the best. The only thing that I can think of is BB is trying to set a new paradigm about what enterprise quality means. The he only thing you they have is the OS. The rest is second level.

As a long time user (the only BB user I know) and stock holder, this bothers me. I am a business owner and directly who Chen calls his Passport is aimed at, and I cannot get one to look. Does not make good business since to me.

Personally, I would like to see Samsung license BB10 and produce the phones and BB just be a software company like Chen wants.
    BigBadWulf and Blacklatino like this.
    12-25-14 08:24 AM
    Dang straight! The graphics processor also helps a boatload.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    12-25-14 08:29 AM
    Enterprise usually means the best.
    No it doesn't !
    It means reliable, economical ( not cheap), quality and purposeful.
    The classic fits the bill. It's not meant to replace an iPhone, it's meant to convert the final holdout still on OS 7 (not including those in some countries that are looking for cheap old BlackBerry phones).
    Companies would rather not have employees fill up their phone with Crap apps, they want their employees to use it for business.
    My wife just got a Classic for work ( replacing her 9900) and is quite happy with it but it isn't replacing her Samsung Galaxy S5 and she never expected that it would.
    But maybe after getting used to bb10, when the time comes to replace her personal phone, BlackBerry might also have a flagship touch device out and would at least consider looking at it.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 10:19 AM
    Whoa, I didn�t mean to suggest that the Z10 is the phone for someone in the market now. I just don't know what faster would mean for me. I am never waiting for the phone to do anything.

Believe me, I upgrade my computer to top line specs whenever it starts chugging, almost yearly, so it's not about the money. I just don't know what people are doing with their phones that taxes performance.

I'm on it constantly, 10 hrs a day at least, with multiple browser windows, maps, and documents open.

Battery life on the Z10 is a known issue. I recharge constantly and I have an extra battery, and I know newer phones have faster processors. I'm just making the point that a powerhouse business phone doesn't need top line specs.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and BigBadWulf like this.
    12-25-14 12:23 PM
    Top of the line no. Middle of the road at least would have been nice. That's why I suggested the Z30 processor. Surely they could get their hands on those for about the same cost, but they probably simply used the Q10 board entirely.
    12-25-14 12:58 PM
    But it's not really a surprise that you still can't accept how the vast majority of the smartphone market works.
    ...because the Classic is targeted at the vast majority of the smartphone market, right? :-P

Let it go, for me personally I don't think the Classic is a good deal at all. But that's me. I'm not a business pro that's still fine with a 9900 after 3 years, right? Having a Z10 for 20 months now, the Classic wouldn't be a real upgrade for the next two years for me, right? But if I was a pro user that's still hanging on a 9900? Great upgrade from my current phone then. $450? Ok! Oh wait for 450 bucks I get an HTC One M7 I don't want but which has somewhat better "specs" they say...hmmm...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 12-29-14 at 09:33 AM. Reason: removed personal insult
    12-29-14 09:18 AM
318 ... 111213