That argument sounded better back five years ago... But the world has moved on, and the PKB format is all but extinct at this point. I just don't see the market suddenly saying "you know, I think things were better with PKB smartphones..... ".

Software is what most today see as the path to making employees more productive.
    I about spit my coffee out reading "software is what most see as the path to making employees more productive." In regards to smartphones, the evolution of them and the software on '6 + in screens it is for consumption. The apps and software that most consumers have to have has had an inverse effect on them as employees and their productivity. The top selling devices focus is squarely on advertising distribution and content consumption. (Large screens and long lasting batteries) Anyone here have kids or know the friend or person who annoyingly doesn't know when to put their phone down or away? i.e. they are very likely not working, studying nor is the device contributing to their productivity.
    MadMarti likes this.
    05-19-20 10:44 AM
    I always enjoy reading criticism of people being too addicted to their phones here on Crackberry. Where did the Crackberry name come from again?
    brookie229, Bla1ze, conite and 4 others like this.
    05-19-20 10:51 AM
    I about spit my coffee out reading "software is what most see as the path to making employees more productive." In regards to smartphones, the evolution of them and the software on '6 + in screens it is for consumption. The apps and software that most consumers have to have has had an inverse effect on them as employees and their productivity. The top selling devices focus is squarely on advertising distribution and content consumption. (Large screens and long lasting batteries) Anyone here have kids or know the friend or person who annoyingly doesn't know when to put their phone down or away? i.e. they are very likely not working, studying nor is the device contributing to their productivity.
    Yes, media consumption is easier today. But so is banking, remote access, cloud services, mapping, collaborating, secure messaging, travelling (rewards programs, reservations, booking, translation, etc), and paying.

I can almost run my entire office remotely today - something unheard of even 5 years ago.
    05-19-20 11:51 AM
    Many of today's productivity tools also work better on large screens as well. Zoom, Slack, Teams. I do a lot of photos these days that need to be marked up and included in reports.... and a good sized screen is very helpful.

I just don't see the market suddenly realizing that PKB are necessary after 10 years...
    05-19-20 11:59 AM
    I always enjoy reading criticism of people being too addicted to their phones here on Crackberry. Where did the Crackberry name come from again?
    People are too addicted to phones and everyone, including Apple, Google and Microsoft have developed software to try and help mitigate it.

I remember sitting in corporate conferences when the BlackBerry phenomenon hit. Everyone, like sheep, would put their devices out on the conference tables and the blinking LED's would be firing off. It was so inappropriate but most in management did it. I never understood it then as much as I don't understand groups of kids at malls all sitting together on their phones Tik Tok'n or Snapchating or whatever. When me and my pals hit the malls in the early 80's we were looking for hot girls to talk with and then land a date. 🤘😎
    RoseBud68 and Sigewif like this.
    05-19-20 12:46 PM
    Yes, media consumption is easier today. But so is banking, remote access, cloud services, mapping, collaborating, secure messaging, travelling (rewards programs, reservations, booking, translation, etc), and paying.

I can almost run my entire office remotely today - something unheard of even 5 years ago.
    I guess it depends on the nature of one's business. I could manage every communication and work assignment from my BlackBerry Classic in '15 (Z10 in '13) then as well. I did and do always have my laptop when traveling if I need to get into my Claims software. I could not imagine nor would it be productive for me to try and do so from my S9 or BE even today.

I still believe heavy lifting and real work on software is done on a laptop or newer 2n1. Would you travel for work today and still not take a laptop or 2n1??
    05-19-20 12:53 PM
    Many of today's productivity tools also work better on large screens as well. Zoom, Slack, Teams. I do a lot of photos these days that need to be marked up and included in reports.... and a good sized screen is very helpful.

I just don't see the market suddenly realizing that PKB are necessary after 10 years...
    You do your mark up on photos for reports on your XR? Or do you take the photos on said device, save to cloud and mark up on an iPad, PC or Mac?

The market is and never will be dominated by a PKB for mobile BUT there is and should be enough space for one or two sizes for those that prefer them. Even the likes of Apple admitted that the Surface Pro 2n1 model or a laptop with a PKB was and is necessary for real work and or any type of educational market. Chromebooks absolutely annihilated the iPad in the educational space here in the US as they are cheaper, easier to admin and most importantly more functional.

Voice dictation software is better than ever BUT PKB's remain a necessity or everyone would just have tablets right?
    05-19-20 01:03 PM
    Do it live as I'm taking the pictures.... Markup Tool is great for this.
    chain13 likes this.
    05-19-20 01:29 PM
    That argument sounded better back five years ago... But the world has moved on, and the PKB format is all but extinct at this point. I just don't see the market suddenly saying "you know, I think things were better with PKB smartphones..... ".

Software is what most today see as the path to making employees more productive.
    Well, 5 years ago the world wasn't facing reconstruction from economic and production calamity. Maybe communications proficiency might possibly enjoy elevated appreciation by a FEW challenged to lead reconstruction ? Whether that few is enough obviously depends... Is it realistic to expect entry barriers to remain so monopolistically exclusionary (qualcomm? Lol) for the next 5 yrs?

5 years ago, even BlackBerry had already forgotten much of what they ever knew about personal "thought to thumb" real time typed collaboration. So much so that nearly every newer model with BlackBerry's name on it sits charging on my desk while this 9 year old 9900 gets the job I NEED to get done, done.

Sorry, until brain emanation interpreting technologies adequately evolve, I'm skeptical that any amount of "software" can successfully type thoughts to a waiting collaborator faster, with fewer errors, than this obsolete Bold. Only my tongue enjoys better cranial language center intimacy than my left thumb on this Bold. Lol. A virtue surprisingly under appreciated here at CRACKberry? If even aware? Always assumed Kevin at least grasped the thought to thumb thing when coining his famous term. Right or wrong? Lol.

No more "modern" handset has yet, to date, challenge this "obsolete" handset for that feature. Imo. And I, and coworkers, HAVE tried! With super human efforts!! We do not WANT to be stuck using 9 year old handsets just to maintain productivity! Honest evaluation of numbers quantified from many directions have proven inescapable. Some of our clients count cost of downtime by the second! Lol. There's just no way to fit 18 wheels under a consumer class Corolla and challenge freight transport productivity of a pro class Kenworth. Lol.

My industry IS production. Coordinating hundreds & thousands of variables in effort to avoid the dreaded "inch worm" throughout a production process involving hundreds of machines, multiple plants in multiple corners of the planet is a big part of what my firm does. From concept to consumer. We KNOW when & why things are working and enjoy a reputation for predicting where we'll see inch worm generating bottlenecks. We've re-set our own records in recent months for quantity and quality while re-tooling production lines in unprecedented ways. "Software" can play a huge role in that BUT Ya don't just flip a switch and enjoy an optimal plant startup! MUCH realtime back & forth with field personnel on NOISY plant floors is essential to optimize production while minimizing "inch worm" bottlenecks. Which is why I haven't been permitted proper "retirement"... Yet. Lol.

At this point in history, I can state somewhat authoritatively that devoting 90 seconds to return a responsibly thoughtful message using my Giant instruments of distraction (D60) simply doesn't challenge the 60 seconds of nearly zero distraction thought to thumb performance this 9900 affords. AND, my responses are demonstrably better quality using the less distracting platform!

Multiplied over a "25hr" day, "8days/wk" over a two month period, the relative value of the right tool for a given task has again become a no-brainer. Literally! Lol.

The few of us around the globe who've invested effort into merging Bold & brain ARE willing (and pretty able) to PAY for the feature! No one expects pro grade Kenworths to sell at consumer grade Corolla prices. . Niche volumes must beget niche margins. Just reality. Intersecting those curves is where creativity plays. Creativity frequently represents the least predictable variable of ANY future. OP's chance at success depends on optimally merging many variables in creative ways. Ways long lost in "modern" times, imo. Best wishes to OP!
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    05-19-20 01:47 PM
    My "day job" is as an Audio/Video Integrator, which, as you might imagine, has grown to include "smart devices" and whole-home automation, as well as networking & WiFi and security cameras. Modern smartphones have given me the ability to do MANY tasks remotely, saving me dozens of driving hours a month, as before, an on-site visit was required to make any changes. I can adjust macros, change WiFi passwords, review camera footage, change default volumes in an audio zone, add new streaming music providers, and reboot equipment from my phone while I'm on another job. This makes me look like a hero to my customers, who get a near-instant fix, and I don't have to drive to that customer's house to make a 3-minute change. I can charge customers less, and they're happier to pay the bill.

I wouldn't want to have to program an entire whole-home system on my phone - but I could. Often, I'm using my phone and my laptop at the same time when I'm doing that.

I also take lots of pictures - reference pictures if I'm upgrading equipment or having to disconnect and move equipment, etc., for doing estimates, for getting approvals from customers who are at work and have me working on their project, and for marketing purposes, where high-quality pictures are important. Recently, I purchased an endoscope (a camera on the end of a flexible cable) so I can look inside walls before cutting or drilling, and this $25 tool works with my phone, allowing for stills or videos that I can show or send to customers as needed.

What little time I spend on social media is to promote my company, but my phone not only allows me to stay in contact with customers in various ways, to generate estimates and invoices on the spot, but also to collect payments. My phone makes me a significant amount of money, and allows me to carry a single relatively small device that replaces so many other pieces of gear.

The combination of high-quality sensors and 3rd Party apps and hardware makes my phone a force-multiplier for my business. Texts and emails are a small part of what I use my phone for - the apps to remotely access customer equipment and to do accounting and payments are super important for a small business like mine. Obviously everyone has a different use case, but just because kids are on social media all day doesn't mean that other people aren't using their phones for serious, productive uses, because lots of people do - even if they ALSO consume some media or spend some free time on social media.
    05-19-20 03:27 PM
    done - BOLDly go where no one has for a looong time...
    Coachbulldog and idssteve like this.
    05-19-20 04:20 PM
    Good luck with this endeavor! I would love to have a Note sized BlackBerry. Until then a Note with the BlackBerry suite of apps will have to suffice.
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    05-20-20 05:55 PM
    Well, 5 years ago the world wasn't facing reconstruction from economic and production calamity. Maybe communications proficiency might possibly enjoy elevated appreciation by a FEW challenged to lead reconstruction ? Whether that few is enough obviously depends... Is it realistic to expect entry barriers to remain so monopolistically exclusionary (qualcomm? Lol) for the next 5 yrs?

5 years ago, even BlackBerry had already forgotten much of what they ever knew about personal "thought to thumb" real time typed collaboration. So much so that nearly every newer model with BlackBerry's name on it sits charging on my desk while this 9 year old 9900 gets the job I NEED to get done, done.

Sorry, until brain emanation interpreting technologies adequately evolve, I'm skeptical that any amount of "software" can successfully type thoughts to a waiting collaborator faster, with fewer errors, than this obsolete Bold. Only my tongue enjoys better cranial language center intimacy than my left thumb on this Bold. Lol. A virtue surprisingly under appreciated here at CRACKberry? If even aware? Always assumed Kevin at least grasped the thought to thumb thing when coining his famous term. Right or wrong? Lol.

No more "modern" handset has yet, to date, challenge this "obsolete" handset for that feature. Imo. And I, and coworkers, HAVE tried! With super human efforts!! We do not WANT to be stuck using 9 year old handsets just to maintain productivity! Honest evaluation of numbers quantified from many directions have proven inescapable. Some of our clients count cost of downtime by the second! Lol. There's just no way to fit 18 wheels under a consumer class Corolla and challenge freight transport productivity of a pro class Kenworth. Lol.

My industry IS production. Coordinating hundreds & thousands of variables in effort to avoid the dreaded "inch worm" throughout a production process involving hundreds of machines, multiple plants in multiple corners of the planet is a big part of what my firm does. From concept to consumer. We KNOW when & why things are working and enjoy a reputation for predicting where we'll see inch worm generating bottlenecks. We've re-set our own records in recent months for quantity and quality while re-tooling production lines in unprecedented ways. "Software" can play a huge role in that BUT Ya don't just flip a switch and enjoy an optimal plant startup! MUCH realtime back & forth with field personnel on NOISY plant floors is essential to optimize production while minimizing "inch worm" bottlenecks. Which is why I haven't been permitted proper "retirement"... Yet. Lol.

At this point in history, I can state somewhat authoritatively that devoting 90 seconds to return a responsibly thoughtful message using my Giant instruments of distraction (D60) simply doesn't challenge the 60 seconds of nearly zero distraction thought to thumb performance this 9900 affords. AND, my responses are demonstrably better quality using the less distracting platform!

Multiplied over a "25hr" day, "8days/wk" over a two month period, the relative value of the right tool for a given task has again become a no-brainer. Literally! Lol.

The few of us around the globe who've invested effort into merging Bold & brain ARE willing (and pretty able) to PAY for the feature! No one expects pro grade Kenworths to sell at consumer grade Corolla prices. . Niche volumes must beget niche margins. Just reality. Intersecting those curves is where creativity plays. Creativity frequently represents the least predictable variable of ANY future. OP's chance at success depends on optimally merging many variables in creative ways. Ways long lost in "modern" times, imo. Best wishes to OP!
    After read the whole paragraphs, am I the only one who don't get what the 9 years old phones do to support the industry??
    05-21-20 07:47 AM
    After read the whole paragraphs, am I the only one who don't get what the 9 years old phones do to support the industry??
    His specific job requires typing a lot of messages back and forth and the 9930 or even 9650 get the job done the best for them. It a VERY unique usage case, that doesn't seem to be repeated too much by other manufactures.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-21-20 10:56 AM
    His specific job requires typing a lot of messages back and forth and the 9930 or even 9650 get the job done the best for them. It a VERY unique usage case, that doesn't seem to be repeated too much by other manufactures.
    Lol.. He could have cleared things by just saying what position/job he has in the industry he works for.
    05-21-20 11:50 AM
    Lol.. He could have cleared things by just saying what position/job he has in the industry he works for.
    I think he's an engineer and if he's managing people which it seems like he is, he's probably glued to a screen all day reading and responding to emails.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    05-21-20 11:58 AM
    I think he's an engineer and if he's managing people which it seems like he is, he's probably glued to a screen all day reading and responding to emails.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I believe Steve was a CEO that sold his company to larger company and now he's a retired executive that still consults for that company.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and idssteve like this.
    05-21-20 01:15 PM
    Good luck with this endeavor! I would love to have a Note sized BlackBerry. Until then a Note with the BlackBerry suite of apps will have to suffice.
    Same here. Still getting used to it. Will have to installed the BlackBerry suite at some point. No question BlackBerry was better at doing simple tasks.
    05-21-20 04:51 PM
    The difficult part is indeed to pick the form factor.. many love the classic AND you'd be surprized to learn that the third most requested form factor is.... a PRIV style!! Nowadays the reviewers all want big screens, but... at the end of the day we want a phone that the bb community will love... not what everyone else expects from a standard flagship
    I just came across this and went to do the survey. It said the website is doing maintenance and not available.
    You can add me to the Priv group. Also the KEY2 keyboard is amazing. I priv type device with a KEY2 keyboard would be a dream phone for me. I also want a great camera. Security, yes, and something that has the ability to load the BlackBerry apps, especially the hub.
    If the survey shows up again I will take it.
    05-23-20 11:41 AM

One thing Covid-19 has taught me is that things we couldn't imagine happening in society could suddenly be changed. 3 months ago who would have imagined a facemask being used out in public? ...And then branded ones and decorated ones being worn as fashion statements?
    Last edited by Sigewif; 05-23-20 at 12:30 PM.
    Linto988 and chain13 like this.
    05-23-20 12:09 PM
    You do your mark up on photos for reports on your XR? Or do you take the photos on said device, save to cloud and mark up on an iPad, PC or Mac?

The market is and never will be dominated by a PKB for mobile BUT there is and should be enough space for one or two sizes for those that prefer them. Even the likes of Apple admitted that the Surface Pro 2n1 model or a laptop with a PKB was and is necessary for real work and or any type of educational market. Chromebooks absolutely annihilated the iPad in the educational space here in the US as they are cheaper, easier to admin and most importantly more functional.

Voice dictation software is better than ever BUT PKB's remain a necessity or everyone would just have tablets right?
    Dictation is not a replacement for a hub in my world. The lady in the doctor's office waiting room dictating a message is enough to tell you that. Then there are all those messages you get with typos in every sentence...
    Last edited by Sigewif; 05-23-20 at 12:28 PM.
    05-23-20 12:17 PM
    One thing Covid-19 has taught me is that things we couldn't imagine happening in society could suddenly be changed. 3 months ago who would have imagined a facemask being used out in public? ...And then branded ones and decorated ones being worn as fashion statements?
    Haha, you are on the money! The first few times I went out I felt it was super weird to wear a mask, I felt self conscious about it, like why would I want to hide my face? It seemed so sketchy, fast forward to now, it almost seems unimaginable to go out without a mask now. I grab my phone, wallet, car keys and now a mask to before leaving the house, it’s part of life.

Suddenly now I am looking at designer masks and wondering if I should drop some money on a few but I am still very weary of those designer masks, they seem to be less protective, until they adhere to some official standard I’ll continue to wear the surgical masks and N95 masks.
    05-23-20 05:08 PM
    True. The first time touchscreen phone released (including iphone), it was niche. Then the market shifting since iphone.
    05-23-20 06:47 PM
    True. The first time touchscreen phone released (including iphone), it was niche. Then the market shifting since iphone.
    I wouldn't call it a niche, as that takes years to develop.

But a paradigm shift, yes.

Don't forget that Apple approached from the consumer side - providing big screens, media content, and apps.

The consumer side eventually swallowed the business side because of BYOD.
    Laura Knotek and elfabio80 like this.
    05-23-20 06:56 PM
    I wouldn't call it a niche, as that takes years to develop.

But a paradigm shift, yes.
    Agree. I never call pkb a niche though. Either vkb or pkb just serves the same usability (typing). But the use case of phone shifts. Those use cases (maybe not paradigm) force a phone to has more requirements/functions other than just as communication tools(software, services).
    05-23-20 07:14 PM
146 ... 3456