Agree. I never call pkb a niche though. Either vkb or pkb just serves the same usability (typing). But the use case of phone shifts. Those use cases (maybe not paradigm) force a phone to has more requirements/functions other than just as communication tools(software, services).
    People that stick to keyboards after years of a market being overwhelmed with slabs is certainly a niche.

That's pretty much the definition.
    05-23-20 07:33 PM
    Just going to put this here

If Samsung don’t make a profit on their phones, what hope is there for a 1 man band?
    05-23-20 08:42 PM
    As tempting as new shiny things are, regarding the state of our planet, can't we all agree that yet another smartphone (even if it has a PKB) is not something we are in desperate need of? The market of phones is saturated. Millions that still would work lye around unused. To save resources we have to come to our senses and slow down production cycles and focus on services that extend life of existing hardware the sooner the better. You can use a computer easily for 10 years now. The same must be true for Mobile devices in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    05-29-20 05:31 PM
    As tempting as new shiny things are, regarding the state of our planet, can't we all agree that yet another smartphone (even if it has a PKB) is not something we are in desperate need of? The market of phones is saturated. Millions that still would work lye around unused. To save resources we have to come to our senses and slow down production cycles and focus on services that extend life of existing hardware the sooner the better. You can use a computer easily for 10 years now. The same must be true for Mobile devices in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't help if your device is no longer receiving security patches. Things are getting better on that front now though - 5 years from Apple, and 3 years from Google, Samsung, OnePlus, and Android One.

As far as life cycle is concerned, don't forget that even if people carry the same device for 5 years, over 300 million people will be looking for a new phone each and every year.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-29-20 05:44 PM
    That doesn't help if your device is no longer receiving security patches. Things are getting better on that front now though - 5 years from Apple, and 3 years from Google, Samsung, OnePlus, and Android One.

As far as life cycle is concerned, don't forget that even if people carry the same device for 5 years, over 300 million people will be looking for a new phone each and every year.
    To your first point: Yes, that's right. But that's something that can be cured with a more ecological prioritized mindset or by a new law. For example: A law that forces every manufacturer to make the battery removable again. That way people would hold onto their devices longer.
    And if they need a new one, maybe with a new mindset they would have a look at refurbished ones first (Guaranteed today's situation with software updates is dealt with).

Posted via CB10
    05-29-20 06:15 PM
    To your first point: Yes, that's right. But that's something that can be cured with a more ecological prioritized mindset or by a new law. For example: A law that forces every manufacturer to make the battery removable again. That way people would hold onto their devices longer.
    And if they need a new one, maybe with a new mindset they would have a look at refurbished ones first (Guaranteed today's situation with software updates is dealt with).

Posted via CB10
    Batteries are easily replaced even without being officially "removable".

I think 3 years is plenty long relative to the pace of innovation. It's not like buying a frisbee.

Try using a 4 or 5 year old iPhone. Gross.
    05-29-20 10:41 PM

To add onto that, in the case of computers, for most peoplestay at their homes or if taken out of the home are in protective cases that help reduce damage. There are also manufacturers for Windows computers that have access panels to upgrade components like storage drives and RAM without much disassembly. Lastly, a less intensive OS like a linux distro can be installed to make old hardware last longer.

Most phones don't have these factors that can help increase their lifespan and are in many ways the opposite. They get increased wear and tear from being on our person at all times, can be a pain to replace parts in many cases, and is also a pain to try and install a new OS on them.
    05-30-20 10:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    The things that make a used smartphone less attractive are the physical imperfections which are exacerbated by any moving parts. The button that doesn’t work anymore, the battery door that is creaking, the port that is loose or inconsistent.

Before the iPhone, I used to have a drawer full of old smartphones that nobody wanted because they were creaky and had scratched up plastic screens. Now I always have someone to hand it down to as long as the OS isn’t too out of date as long as I have used a case and didn’t crack the screen. If nothing else, there is a trade-in value even for a 2 year old device. These non-upgradeable device have a longer lifespan because they have fewer moving parts. Even the elimination of the lone iPhone home button helped because that tended to show its age.
    05-30-20 11:00 AM
    05-30-20 12:00 PM
    Done!
    05-30-20 12:49 PM
    Same here. Still getting used to it. Will have to installed the BlackBerry suite at some point. No question BlackBerry was better at doing simple tasks.
    Android isn't bad at all once you get Everything set up the way that you're use to. I must say that the Note 9 with the BBVK installed is as good as Any BlackBerry I've ever owned.
    06-16-20 10:37 PM
    Android isn't bad at all once you get Everything set up the way that you're use to. I must say that the Note 9 with the BBVK installed is as good as Any BlackBerry I've ever owned.
    On a slab/all touch device I 100% agree. My S9 is like the best version of an upgraded Z30 to me. On the other hand if you want or prefer using a PKB then there is no substitute. My BE KeyOne fits that niche for me and I greatly appreciate it for its PKB, awesome efficient shortcuts, beautiful build, very good camera (in all conditions but the lowest of light) and unbelievably awesome battery life.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-17-20 12:21 PM
    what s slightly more worrying is the current state of the economy. If we launch something on kickstarter might no be as straight forward. But this will take months anyway so touching wood! Meanwhile thank you very much to all of you. Hopefully we wont let you down, and we ll manage to go thru all these hurdles.
    Been over a month... any progress? Any hints?

Can you share your survey findings?
    jacobacevedog and Ragbert like this.
    06-18-20 09:47 AM
    Been over a month... any progress? Any hints?

Can you share your survey findings?
    How about? Fanboy! Get over the fact that BlackBerry will never release another phone. There is no money in it for them and they have moved on. Automotive is more lucrative.

Move on
    06-19-20 04:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    The great thing is, that we live in a world that is full of resources and we don't need to worry about saving them. Keep the shiny new things coming!
    John Albert likes this.
    06-19-20 04:47 PM
    How about? Fanboy! Get over the fact that BlackBerry will never release another phone. There is no money in it for them and they have moved on. Automotive is more lucrative.

Move on
    You're telling Dunt?
    I don't think anyone from BlackBerry started this thread either...
    06-19-20 05:00 PM
    On a slab/all touch device I 100% agree. My S9 is like the best version of an upgraded Z30 to me. On the other hand if you want or prefer using a PKB then there is no substitute. My BE KeyOne fits that niche for me and I greatly appreciate it for its PKB, awesome efficient shortcuts, beautiful build, very good camera (in all conditions but the lowest of light) and unbelievably awesome battery life.
    Agreed
    100%
    06-20-20 11:43 AM
    I do know someone waiting for someone to make a BlackBerry phone, until they get a new one.

Could be a long wait.
    06-20-20 12:37 PM
    I do know someone waiting for someone to make a BlackBerry phone, until they get a new one.

Could be a long wait.
    Sharing “a friend” story ??
    06-20-20 12:42 PM
    Sharing “a friend” story ??
    lmao

Nope. 100% not my story.
    06-20-20 01:20 PM

Could be a long wait.
    No much is he going to spend on a worthless patent?
    towngirl likes this.
    06-20-20 04:02 PM
146 ... 456