It is sad that a device with powerful specs, running an existing operating system is considered revolutionary. We've had two revolutionary phones in the past 15 years: the first Blackberry phone with a physical keyboard, and the original iPhone.

Nothing other than those two phones has been revolutionary, as far as smartphones go. Let's not cheapen the meaning of "Revolutionary."
    You need a new copy of the book " smartphone history", if you think that the first BlackBerry Phone was revolutionary.

There's something we call the Nokia Communicator, and it defined what smartphones have to be, until the iPhone changed that.
    Every BlackBerry/Windows Mobile or Smbian UIQ device, has the Nokia Communicatior as its spiritual predecessor.

The only thing BlackBerry revolutionised was email delivery. The smartphone itself, has never been given that treatment through BlackBerry. We could argue that the Storm was revolutionary bad, but that's probably just a semantic argument.
    06-07-15 05:17 PM
    I maintain that the BlackBerry PKB device with email was revolutionary. You are free to disagree. There was a Crackberry meme and people knew what New York Prayer meant.

I have no problem with admitting the early Nokia phone into the revolutionary category. Just so long as we don't call every other phone with latest specs revolutionary.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 06-09-15 at 03:17 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-08-15 12:17 AM

I have no problem with admitting the early Nokia phone into the revolutionary category. Just so long as we don't call every other phone with latest specs revolutionary.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    With this I fully agree.
    Neither innovative nor revolutionary are words I would use for phones which simply get higher specs.

And would you do me a favour?
    Would you describe a smartphone like we know them today, but with a battery lasting 5/7 days (pick your favourite), as revolutionary?
    Or is that still not enough for you?
    Is that still too incremental, or disruptive enough?
    06-08-15 01:45 AM
    I could agree with everything you said but ruling out a Physical Qwerty Keyboard is what I won't digest. Its a strong hold for blackberry and tradition has to transcend generation. High end Qwerty? I'm sold.

Q5 FOE HAMMER
    06-08-15 03:16 AM
    And would you do me a favour?
    Would you describe a smartphone like we know them today, but with a battery lasting 5/7 days (pick your favourite), as revolutionary?
    Or is that still not enough for you?
    Is that still too incremental, or disruptive enough?
    We have to distinguish between technologically revolutionary and revolutionary from the business point of view.

So, in your example, I would probably call a smartphone with a 1 month battery life with the same form factor as today, quite a technologically revolutionary product. If no one buys it however (e.g., due to high price, or weird overall specs, or whatever reason), then it wouldn't be revolutionary from the business point of view. The business-side revolutionary-ness is only visible after the fact.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-08-15 03:37 AM
    There is a simple reason why in US-centric world Blackberry is "revolutionary". Europe had Nokia 9000 with PKB and email back in 1996 and lived with it happily ever after, since carriers were GSM. US was dominated by DAPMS until 2000s and missed the whole smartphone revolution until iPhone appeared on the scene.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    06-08-15 06:36 AM
    There is a simple reason why in US-centric world Blackberry is "revolutionary". Europe had Nokia 9000 with PKB and email back in 1996 and lived with it happily ever after, since carriers were GSM. US was dominated by DAPMS until 2000s and missed the whole smartphone revolution until iPhone appeared on the scene.
    Uh no. Handspring/Palm Treo line, BlackBerry. I had a Tree 600 and 650 running on CDMA network that was way faster than any European or US GSM network at the time. Touchscreen, 5 way navigation, full PKB, SD Card for music.... So their were entries before the iPhone on better networks than what Europe had at the time.

Posted via Z30
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-08-15 at 08:03 AM.
    06-08-15 07:51 AM
157 ... 567