This should be blackberry's mantra moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards and lift like this.
    06-23-15 10:10 AM
    This should be blackberry's mantra moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    If it's actually true. He didn't sound too sure when he was saying it

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 10:17 AM
    No... Their mantra should be "We can't sell."
    AL8x B and mh1983 like this.
    06-23-15 10:18 AM
    He didn't say others can't collect data and sell it....

He was trying real hard to skip around the whole permission aspect of using Android Apps on a BlackBerry.
    06-23-15 10:20 AM
    ...and in the end, he basically said app vendors do what they want... you decide to accept or reject the app based on the permissions it asks for, and you can disable them after installation... but BlackBerry and BlackBerry Apps don't track data nor send data to BlackBerry.
    06-23-15 11:29 AM
    ...and in the end, he basically said app vendors do what they want... you decide to accept or reject the app based on the permissions it asks for, and you can disable them after installation... but BlackBerry and BlackBerry Apps don't track data nor send data to BlackBerry.
    BB's own license agreement says otherwise. And how do those targeted ads in BBM work?
    06-23-15 10:02 PM
    BS, BB's terms and conditions tell a different story.
    06-23-15 10:07 PM
    BB's own license agreement says otherwise. And how do those targeted ads in BBM work?
    Not working too well as I have never received one.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 11:48 PM
    That question was asked in the context of location data.
    06-24-15 12:24 PM
    Doesn't blackberry assistant send off audio recording to improve voice recognition? Doesn't seem like what chen seems to be saying
    06-24-15 05:31 PM
    A lot of context being misunderstood here, enough already.

Via Passport 
    06-24-15 05:36 PM
    Advertising. When we display ads and other promotional or sponsored content within the Service, our goal is to provide content that is of interest to You. To do so, we may provide advertisers and third party ad serving providers (including ad networks and exchanges) with information, such as general demographic information, real-time location (e.g. GPS location, if you have opted to share Your GPS location with us) and IP addresses (e.g. for use in detecting click-fraud and identifying Your general location e.g. city or country). This information is used to help provide You with more relevant content and to know how ad campaigns have performed (for example, how many people clicked on or viewed an ad, or installed an app after viewing an ad).
    Source: BBM TERMS OF SERVICE
    06-24-15 08:29 PM
    One thing I have been consistently disappointed in BlackBerry over is they have never come out unambiguously in favor of user privacy. They talk a lot about security - particularly in the enterprise corporate sense - but not so much about end-user privacy.

They make some tangential implications and abstract claims about user privacy and so on, but TBH I think they are too firmly in bed with gov/mil and various three-letter agencies to publicly poke them in the eye by making a big deal about how their platform can be used to circumvent surveillance by some of those same customers of theirs. Which kinda makes sense if you were in their position.

That said, I still think their platform is better than most in that regard (including some hardware distinctions that make them harder to crack than other platforms in general), and I still wouldn't use a stock Android device as my personal smartphone since Google is absolutely obsessive about collecting and storing personal user data.
    06-24-15 11:36 PM
    One thing I have been consistently disappointed in BlackBerry over is they have never come out unambiguously in favor of user privacy. They talk a lot about security - particularly in the enterprise corporate sense - but not so much about end-user privacy.

They make some tangential implications and abstract claims about user privacy and so on, but TBH I think they are too firmly in bed with gov/mil and various three-letter agencies to publicly poke them in the eye by making a big deal about how their platform can be used to circumvent surveillance by some of those same customers of theirs. Which kinda makes sense if you were in their position.

That said, I still think their platform is better than most in that regard (including some hardware distinctions that make them harder to crack than other platforms in general), and I still wouldn't use a stock Android device as my personal smartphone since Google is absolutely obsessive about collecting and storing personal user data.
    This is why I got my wife to dump her Moto in favor of a Leap. And she thinks it's thaaaaaat much better...

Win! :-D

(the Moto was destined to be flashed with Ubuntu just like my Nexus, ... gotta do it at some stage)

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-25-15 01:50 AM
    This thread needs more tinfoil...
    06-25-15 03:53 AM
    This thread needs more tinfoil...
    and cowbell

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=QuTqWR-t
    06-25-15 08:48 AM