There's very little learning curve with any of the mainstream graphical OSes if the user will simply walk through the documentation. The problem arises when, AFTER learning a new OS, it turns out to be less efficient for everyday tasks, addition taps and swipes and keystrokes that make you less effective on a continuing basis.

That's my problem with iOS and Android. I've gotten good at both of them, but they still slow me down because they add needless steps to simple transitions between email accounts, calendars and application switching in general.

Posted via CB10
    I have experience on BB10, Android, and iOS and don't really know what you're referring to about extra steps for doing things. Can you be more specific? For example - between BB10 and Android it's the same amount of steps to switch between/close apps. On BB10 you swipe up. On Android you tap the multitasking button. To close, you tap the x on BB10, and you swipe the app away on Android. What "transitions" are you referring to on the other items you listed?
    darkehawke and SMocek like this.
    10-14-15 10:26 AM
    After going from a storm 2 to a 9900 then a Z10 I'm done with bugs, performance issues and unfinished OSes. The privy looks like a great phone (crappy name) . I'm not interested in spending the next 2/3 years dealing with the bugs and issues of a new Hybrid OS. I've been using a galaxy tab for a couple of months and have enjoyed it, no issues. So I'm going full android soon.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 10:29 AM
    Given that this is a fora for discussions, the topics are the same and redundant.
    What else is going on in BlackBerryland worth talking about? We have threads about specific problems people are having, but for general discussion there are currently exactly two topics left: the Priv (who wants it, who doesn't, and why), and the fate of BB10. We have no other news to drive discussion.
    10-14-15 12:17 PM
    Ugh, I don't wanna have to learn a new OS. I'm so fluent with BB10 and know where everything is!! Just looking at the samsung phones bugs me lol
    If as is being reported, that Priv will come with HUB and BBM, you'll have the BlackBerry Feel as the only real thing left are the screens with Apps on them and that is pretty standard everywhere, square icons in rows and able to create folders. Whatever BlackBerry App you use most likely will be in the Android store, most, not all. So IMO it should not be that dramatic of a transition. Now, what I've said in another thread, Chen must guarantee that he'll support the Priv for at least one cycle. Because people are already saying the same thing they did two years ago that BlackBerry won't be around and don't want to risk it!
    10-14-15 12:21 PM
    You can keep telling yourself that but it still does not justify carrying around a man purse.
    I carry around a messenger bag, and there is no phone made today that will allow me not to keep my laptop handy for actual work.

Posted via CB10
    the1 likes this.
    10-14-15 02:25 PM
    We don't have a choice but to go to android... People need to get through their heads ...
    I'm pretty sure my Z10 running BB10 will continue to work. Yep, just checked and it is still running. I can check again later if you want.
    10-14-15 03:12 PM
    I have experience on BB10, Android, and iOS and don't really know what you're referring to about extra steps for doing things. Can you be more specific? For example - between BB10 and Android it's the same amount of steps to switch between/close apps. On BB10 you swipe up. On Android you tap the multitasking button. To close, you tap the x on BB10, and you swipe the app away on Android. What "transitions" are you referring to on the other items you listed?
    I maintain multiple email accounts (500+ emails per day) and calendars with multiple work and volunteer organizations. Swiping up and to the right (peek into hub) from inside ANY application at any time is very, very helpful. Also, being able to swipe right from inside the hub to select any view from among the following:

Personal email*
    Personal Marketing Alias Email‎
    Business Email
    Client email 1
    Client email 2
    Client email 3
    Online Alias email 1
    Online Alias email 2
    Volunteer Organization email
    Voicemail
    SMS
    BBM
    Twitter
    Facebook msgs and notifications
    LinkedIn msgs and notifications
    Emergency Alerts‎
    Notifications (headlines, updates, etc.
    Phone Calls‎

That's eighteen different communications functions I can access without having to use a "home" or "multitasking" button or open an app. Two quick one-handed swipes gets me everything I need. There is a lot more that I can do from calendar, remember, etc, but the bottom line is I don't have to open any single-purpose apps to get all of my essential work done. I do this hundreds of times a day, so it's a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 03:27 PM
    I maintain multiple email accounts (500+ emails per day) and calendars with multiple work and volunteer organizations. Swiping up and to the right (peek into hub) from inside ANY application at any time is very, very helpful. Also, being able to swipe right from inside the hub to select any view from among the following:

Personal email*
    Personal Marketing Alias Email‎
    Business Email
    Client email 1
    Client email 2
    Client email 3
    Online Alias email 1
    Online Alias email 2
    Volunteer Organization email
    Voicemail
    SMS
    BBM
    Twitter
    Facebook msgs and notifications
    LinkedIn msgs and notifications
    Emergency Alerts‎
    Notifications (headlines, updates, etc.
    Phone Calls‎

That's eighteen different communications functions I can access without having to use a "home" or "multitasking" button or open an app. Two quick one-handed swipes gets me everything I need. There is a lot more that I can do from calendar, remember, etc, but the bottom line is I don't have to open any single-purpose apps to get all of my essential work done. I do this hundreds of times a day, so it's a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    I can certainly appreciate your reasons. For me, I never really liked peek all that much because you only saw part of the notification if you were peeking from another app. I was used to Android's notification tray where I could swipe down and see more of the notification. I recently got an iPhone and I'm really digging that I can mark emails as read or trash them right from the notification tray and stay in the app that I was in:

I enjoyed the hub on BB10, but I also realized that all of my accounts were basically a list view rather than an icon view on a homescreen. Going into accounts from the hub vs launching the app kind of lost its appeal when I wanted to go into an app that wasn't in the hub (like weather or the browser) since I'd have to get out of the hub and put it in the default view so I could peek when another alert came in. Maybe I'm just used to launching and dismissing apps? Regardless, I found that (for me) the hub didn't save me much time when on other devices I had a homescreen with apps or widgets where I could still access information quickly. For you it's two quick one handed swipes, to me it's a tap of a home button. Potato potah-to.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-14-15 04:14 PM
    I can certainly appreciate your reasons. For me, I never really liked peek all that much because you only saw part of the notification if you were peeking from another app. I was used to Android's notification tray where I could swipe down and see more of the notification. I recently got an iPhone and I'm really digging that I can mark emails as read or trash them right from the notification tray and stay in the app that I was in:

http://i.imgur.com/C5HdKbj.png

I enjoyed the hub on BB10, but I also realized that all of my accounts were basically a list view rather than an icon view on a homescreen. Going into accounts from the hub vs launching the app kind of lost its appeal when I wanted to go into an app that wasn't in the hub (like weather or the browser) since I'd have to get out of the hub and put it in the default view so I could peek when another alert came in. Maybe I'm just used to launching and dismissing apps? Regardless, I found that (for me) the hub didn't save me much time when on other devices I had a homescreen with apps or widgets where I could still access information quickly. For you it's two quick one handed swipes, to me it's a tap of a home button. Potato potah-to.
    If you like launching and dismissing apps, then it might not bother you. I like the fact that I don't have to launch apps very often at all for essential communications. I hardly ever see my "Home" screen. I see active windows where I'm working and the Hub where I select the next item on which to work.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 04:28 PM
    If you like launching and dismissing apps, then it might not bother you. I like the fact that I don't have to launch apps very often at all for essential communications. I hardly ever see my "Home" screen. I see active windows where I'm working and the Hub where I select the next item on which to work.

Posted via CB10
    And I can see those exact same things on my homescreen or within the app in which I'm working in.
    10-14-15 04:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/C5HdKbj.png

I am actually glad to hear it isn't that big a deal transitioning from BB10.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-14-15 05:26 PM
    I am actually glad to hear it isn't that big a deal transitioning from BB10.

Posted via CB10
    It really isn't bad in my opinion. It's just getting used to a different way of doing things, just like we had to get used to BB10 when we first picked it up.
    10-14-15 05:49 PM
    BlackBerry will not survive as an Android OEM. Nobody wants a BlackBerry handset nor do enterprise see any value in continuing with BB solutions given their lack of clear direction.

Chen has fscked up BB all thanks to the majority shareholders who are totally self-serving mongrels.
    10-14-15 07:46 PM
    BlackBerry will not survive as an Android OEM. Nobody wants a BlackBerry handset nor do enterprise see any value in continuing with BB solutions given their lack of clear direction.

chen has fscked up BB all thanks to the majority shareholders who are totally self-serving mongrels.
    Chen has hung on and improved BlackBerry overall after the originals froze followed by second leadership who seemed to be afraid to upset the two originals.
    10-14-15 07:53 PM
    If I end up getting a Priv, I might sell one of my Z30s!! If I can part with it :-)

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    10-14-15 08:04 PM

Chen has fscked up BB all thanks to the majority shareholders who are totally self-serving mongrels.
    He followed through with what had been developed. Yeah, marketing wasn't there, but they tried.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:41 PM
    BlackBerry fans want a BlackBerry... Plain and simple.

If I'm forced to go android, then why would I want to give my money to a company that is merely selling out to get Google abilities.

We are BlackBerry fans and users for a reason... we like how they work, what they can do and offer.

Rip the band aids off, and stitch up the wound properly.

There are tons of niche companies out there that do quite well, BlackBerry could be one of them.

To me it feels like they are just scrambling to hit on something that will sell units, instead of truly being innovative and creating that must have/need item.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    Really, I think like you...I agree with yuo
    10-14-15 09:41 PM
    I think it would be nice if this priv came in bb10 and Android. I would get Android of course but the option would be nice for those who want it with bb10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Chen has said in so many different ways but directly that BB10 will go the way of the Dodo bird. I agree with O/P...PREPARE YOURSELF TO MOVE ON WITH ANOTHER O.S..
    10-14-15 09:52 PM
    And I can see those exact same things on my homescreen or within the app in which I'm working in.
    I've used Android phones, and I've never seen anything that is faster than the Blackberry Hub for communications. With a single swipe from any screen or app, I see all notifications, phone calls, voice mails, social networks, emails, etc with sender and subject line. When I'm ready ro replace my phone, I'll look at Android again.

Generally, it feels like Android and iOS think you should use 3rd party apps for everything, and most of those apps don't play well, or at all, with each other. My #1 requirement for a mobile phone is that it allows me to read and respond to hundreds of communications each day. I want a single location that I can work from without selecting different apps from my home screen.

My work flow is dead simple:
    1. Open hub.
    2. Read, respond, file, and/or delete message.
    3. Proceed to the next message.

It doesn't matter to me whether the message comes via email, BBM, SMS, Calendar notification, Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn. The work flow is exactly the same.

Last I tried, about a year ago, I couldn't do that in Android, but. If it turns out that I can, I'll be happy to consider Android. Gosh know that Apple is a total nightmare when it comes to efficient work flow!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 10:22 PM
    My two cents worth to OP...there are always alternatives and in my case those alternatives do not include anything "android" powered.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    10-14-15 11:32 PM
    I've used Android phones, and I've never seen anything that is faster than the Blackberry Hub for communications. With a single swipe from any screen or app, I see all notifications, phone calls, voice mails, social networks, emails, etc with sender and subject line. When I'm ready ro replace my phone, I'll look at Android again.

Generally, it feels like Android and iOS think you should use 3rd party apps for everything, and most of those apps don't play well, or at all, with each other. My #1 requirement for a mobile phone is that it allows me to read and respond to hundreds of communications each day. I want a single location that I can work from without selecting different apps from my home screen.

1. Open hub.

It doesn't matter to me whether the message comes via email, BBM, SMS, Calendar notification, Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn. The work flow is exactly the same.

Last I tried, about a year ago, I couldn't do that in Android, but. If it turns out that I can, I'll be happy to consider Android. Gosh know that Apple is a total nightmare when it comes to efficient work flow!

Posted via CB10
    You've nailed it!

While this isn't necessarily as important to everyone, it certainly is to most BlackBerry users. It's what we've had ever since the legacy days. And it's how a messaging device (smartphone) SHOULD handle things. Having a separate email app is a joke!

Without a doubt, the Hub IS going to be on the Priv. I can't see why it wouldn't work very well and have deep integration. It might even work better on Android than it does currently on BB10 (at the very least, you will probably be able to 'load posts' from Facebook again!) The only unknown that we have about it is if there will be gestures to get us into and around it. It would be a huge plus if there are but, the more I think about it, it wouldn't be a complete deal breaker if we won't have them. I'm sure they've got something good cooked up.
    10-14-15 11:32 PM
    I'm not sure people feel like they have to switch to Android because BlackBerry does. Just keep your BB10 phone and accept the fact that you will stop receiving updates at some point. I know a ton of people who use BlackBerry phones running BBOS so I'm not really seeing what all the commotion is about.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    10-15-15 12:56 AM
    I'm not sure people feel like they have to switch to Android because BlackBerry does. Just keep your BB10 phone and accept the fact that you will stop receiving updates at some point. I know a ton of people who use BlackBerry phones running BBOS so I'm not really seeing what all the commotion is about.

I think a lot of people are complaining not because there won't be any software updates, but because BlackBerry didn't release any upgrades for the all touch users.

I just switched to Android (LG G3) (because my Z30 is having a lot of problems charging), traded a z10 I had that I bought for 50$ (heck of a deal), do I miss BB10? HELL YEAH, do I still think BB10 is a great OS? HELL YEAH, but what did BlackBerry give me as a choice? I don't want a physical keyboard, and I'm not going from a Z30 to a Leap...

Edit: just typed this using my Z30, and my fingers are tired, man this phone feels like a brick now. The G3 has a 5.5 inch screen and feels like a feather! Can't wait until BBRY releases all its magic on Android, so I can get them on my G3 and then get myself a Priv.

Really feel sad that BB10 didn't sell, and still feel like a traitor for switching to Android after only using blackberries as a smartphone since the 9700, but if the company itself doesn't believe in its product, why should I?

One things for sure, I'm getting a Priv.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 01:05 AM

1. Open hub.

Posted via CB10
    IIRC, in an earlier post, you made a point of inferring that smartphones don't preclude you from needing your laptop anyway.

Thus, it seems even the Hub isn't sufficient for your workflow. I specifically use smartdevices to avoid carrying a laptop.

Having used each system, I don't know that I'd say any gives me a major time advantage (so much so that it would make me pick one over the other), but I do believe the Hub would be great on Android.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-15-15 01:10 AM
    I think a lot of people are complaining not because there won't be any software updates, but because BlackBerry didn't release any upgrades for the all touch users.

I just switched to Android (LG G3) (because my Z30 is having a lot of problems charging), traded a z10 I had that I bought for 50$ (heck of a deal), do I miss BB10? HELL YEAH, do I still think BB10 is a great OS? HELL YEAH, but what did BlackBerry give me as a choice? I don't want a physical keyboard, and I'm not going from a Z30 to a Leap...

Edit: just typed this using my Z30, and my fingers are tired, man this phone feels like a brick now. The G3 has a 5.5 inch screen and feels like a feather! Can't wait until BBRY releases all its magic on Android, so I can get them on my G3 and then get myself a Priv.

Really feel sad that BB10 didn't sell, and still feel like a traitor for switching to Android after only using blackberries as a smartphone since the 9700, but if the company itself doesn't believe in its product, why should I?

One things for sure, I'm getting a Priv.

Posted via CB10
    That makes a lot of sense. I forget BlackBerry makes touchscreen phones sometimes.

10-15-15 01:17 AM
162 ... 23456 ...