BB10 Os or Windows phone for me.

  
    undone likes this.
    10-13-15 09:00 PM
    Android is not that bad. BB10 is just an android without all the unnecessary 3rd party apps running all the time.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. no.
    10-13-15 09:20 PM
    Sorry but he is wrong .

Posted via CB10
    I'd be willing to wager that he isn't.

IF there's no real demand for a touch capacitive pkb on Android, then he's probably right. And/or BlackBerry prices the device too high or otherwise doesn't deliver on the software end...

But, if it's reasonably priced for a flagship device and well placed in carrier stores (all USA carriers!), then 5M is definitely possible.
    There are a lot of factors that need to come together in order for the Priv to do well. Unfortunately there might also be a lot of negatives tugging in the opposite direction. Not properly advertising the device, bringing it late to market, not having a sufficient amount of inventory on hand when the device does finally hit the shelves. All we have is the past history to judge the future with.

One thing that keeps gnawing at me the is John Chen's comment that 'Priv' stands for, in addition to privacy, privilege. He can't actually be thinking this new device is going to be some form of status symbol as was the case with RIM back in it's heyday can He?

History has a funny way of showing us what may come.
    Allanon89, anon(9353145) and TGR1 like this.
    10-13-15 09:31 PM
    The Priv isn't targeted at Enterprise it's for John Public
    Not according to BB. While it's certainly a much more friendly consumer phone, it is definitely targeted to enterprise, hence all of the work going to secure it and the BB Experience Suite - much of which is of little use to non-enterprise. It also exists as a real-world demonstration of BES's ability to secure and manage Android devices.
    10-13-15 09:46 PM
    People need to get through their heads that blackberry doesn't have the cashflow to keep risking the company with bb10. Using android is a matter of ppl being in a comfort zone. People hate change...period. We wouldn't have had this problem if bb10 was created in 2007, not in 2010.

If the Priv is successful, it can probably bring some attention back to blackberry itself and get people to try out BB10. Right now they have to rebuild their image. Who knows? Maybe they can offer both BB10 and Android phones. One step at a time everyone. It took apple 4 years to get back on its feet to success after Steve Jobs came back. It didn't happen overnight....

Posted via CB10
    In the Code / Mobile interview John was pressed to give a straight answer,to if he was willing to support two operating systems. And wouldn't it be more costly to support both.

His response was yes, it would be more costly and his thoughts were to bring Android security to the level of BlackBerry 10, eliminating the need to support both.

And as far risk further investment in BlackBerry10. I believe that Thorsten would have received a crazy bonus if the company sold during his stint as CEO. Which raises the question, how committed were they to the platform being successful from the start and the old RIM vision. Which can also answers why BlackBerry10 is not an option for the Priv, even though so many BlackBerry Faithful have requested it. It seems like getting out of the device business was a concept long before John took over the wheel, and he's just playing out his part. Adopting Android would allow them to focus on security software, without the cost associated with hardware manufacturing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 10-13-15 at 09:59 PM.
    10-13-15 09:47 PM
    You know what? Your comment makes the most sense; all these forums and discussions.... really?, heck, I'm going to enjoy my phone and when it dies, I'll get a freaking feature phone LOL!

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand why they are bothered by the events unfolding at BlackBerry. It's like their lives are dependent on the phone that the company is making. Given that this is a fora for discussions, the topics are the same and redundant.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:24 PM
    While that might be Chen's idea but if the phone is priced at around $630 it might be too high priced for the enterprise. What I don't understand is why didn't BlackBerry after buying the secusmart company just offer the secure chip tech in like a z30 or classic as an option for either on a monthly subscription proce or higher secure BlackBerry 1 phone for govt and business.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:28 PM
    While that might be Chen's idea but if the phone is priced at around $630 it might be too high priced for the enterprise. What I don't understand is why didn't BlackBerry after buying the secusmart company just offer the secure chip tech in like a z30 or classic as an option for either on a monthly subscription proce or higher secure BlackBerry 1 phone for govt and business.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that cheaper than the iPhone 6S and new Galaxy phones though?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:35 PM
    I just got my first BB 10 device, a Q5, after many users here insisted on telling me how wonderful OS10 on BB is. I'm still on OS7 and a 9900, bridged to my Playbook. I'm a fan of the 9900 and it still works. I happen to like BIS for BUSINESS. For my personal phone, I have an Android LG Volt on Virgin mobile running OS 4.4.2. $35 a month totally unlimited calling and 3 gig of 4g speeds, then throttled down and unlimited at at 2g speed. If the true direction of BBerry is Android, I've already got one, at a SUPER deal, and I'm happy with it. I'll keep my 9900 until the BIS network ends, then move totally to Android.

I've tried iPhone. I have a 4s and an iPad 2. It's not for me. The OS is dated, and I think Android suits me much better. I switched back to iPhone for the Apple Music Free Three Month deal, and it is a good feature, as it's built into the architecture of the phone. Thus, you can use Siri to order up your music. But Spotify is a better deal for me, and it's on every device I own, including my BBerry 9900. I also use a Chromebook for business. So an Android Phone with my Chromebook is a wise choice in the long run. But as I say, I really like my 9900, so I'll hang on to that for another year or two.

I have not opened the box for the Q5 yet. I'm half tempted to send it back to Amazon and just keep my 9900 for Business and the LG Volt for personal use. But curiosity will probably get the best of me. I need to at least TRY OS10 and see how it compares to my 9900's OS7.

I wish BBerry good luck in the Android market. It's a very hard market to compete in. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    10-13-15 10:53 PM
    My sound Hound opens in 2 seconds and I can instant use it. It's the version from BlackBerry world.

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.2.2639)
    Yah I'm using the one from Amazon. Got sick of the BBW version not updating in years and couldn't get previews to play and stuff like that

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix News C003BA5E3 *-*
    10-14-15 12:18 AM
    I'm waiting to see what Windows 10 has to offer as far as phones go. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL look good. Until then BB10 will keep me more than satisfied.

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure likes this.
    10-14-15 12:37 AM
    OS learning curves aren't easy, especially when one does a lot on their phone. But think of it this way: A little under three short years ago we all had to undergo the learning curve to get used to BB10 after years on BBOS. We managed just fine then, and the Priv adopters will manage just fine now .
    There's very little learning curve with any of the mainstream graphical OSes if the user will simply walk through the documentation. The problem arises when, AFTER learning a new OS, it turns out to be less efficient for everyday tasks, addition taps and swipes and keystrokes that make you less effective on a continuing basis.

That's my problem with iOS and Android. I've gotten good at both of them, but they still slow me down because they add needless steps to simple transitions between email accounts, calendars and application switching in general.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-14-15 01:36 AM
    Not according to BB. While it's certainly a much more friendly consumer phone, it is definitely targeted to enterprise, hence all of the work going to secure it and the BB Experience Suite - much of which is of little use to non-enterprise. It also exists as a real-world demonstration of BES's ability to secure and manage Android devices.
    The Priv isn't targeted at Enterprise I repeat.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 01:53 AM
    The Priv isn't targeted at Enterprise I repeat.
    So you seem to know more about the Priv than BB itself does.
    10-14-15 02:42 AM
    I've used my webOS for two years after it was announced dead. I would rock BB10 until it falls apart as well. By that time something new should come up.

iOS has too much of an idiotic workflow for my needs
    Android operates under Google enough not to touch it ever and it needs a complete rewrite from ground up to not be considered Windows XP in mobile spectrum
    Speaking of Windows their 10 mobile doesn't look too bad, its just bad that Microsoft has decided to do business as Google right now with their services and software. Windows 10 Mobile doesn't even have a full feature set of BB10 yet so its still far off.
    Allanon89 and jsmith00075 like this.
    10-14-15 05:00 AM
    I don't understand why they are bothered by the events unfolding at BlackBerry. It's like their lives are dependent on the phone that the company is making. Given that this is a fora for discussions, the topics are the same and redundant.
    It could be concerning if you make a lot of money running a business with your phone as a tool. I'd be concerned if I used air compressors and the company making them was going for a radical shift - especially if competitors products were already made that way or if an alternative option required iTunes to hook up a hose lol.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-14-15 06:46 AM
    Although tempted by the PRIV hardware, I'd rather go to iOS (which i think is HORRID for Email)than go android. I'd rather get service from a content supplier than from a data miner. I know nothing about windows phone, maybe I'll research it....see what they have to offer.
    You are going to iOS because you don't want your data collected?

Interesting.
    10-14-15 07:37 AM
    There is always a choice...

After BB10, moving to Jolla, Firefox OS, or Ubuntu phone are the obvious choices.

I am going to miss BBM video calling and the hub a lot though.
    10-14-15 07:37 AM
    So you seem to know more about the Priv than BB itself does.
    Perhaps! As an Enterprise user we DON'T want any Android device in our environment.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:00 AM
    To the OP:

We the end user have always have the power over the corporations that sell us goods. We simply vote with our wallets.

So I have a choice. BlackBerry has chosen it's path, now I can either follow them (by purchasing their Android Device) or not. Same holds for everyone here.

Personally I see no benefit of one Android manufacturer over another on the consumer side (its all tends to be the hardware differences). BlackBerry is clearly making a device to showcase its software in a proof of concept way. Then it will license all its security bits to all the Android manufacturers and stop making hardware (at the very least for consumers). Always keep in mind Chen is a software guy. Hardware sucks for margins.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-14-15 08:25 AM
    That itself is the reason most people don't like that crp.
    Yet most people are using it.
    JeepBB and SMocek like this.
    10-14-15 08:29 AM
    BlackBerry fans want a BlackBerry... Plain and simple.

If I'm forced to go android, then why would I want to give my money to a company that is merely selling out to get Google abilities.

We are BlackBerry fans and users for a reason... we like how they work, what they can do and offer.

Rip the band aids off, and stitch up the wound properly.

There are tons of niche companies out there that do quite well, BlackBerry could be one of them.

To me it feels like they are just scrambling to hit on something that will sell units, instead of truly being innovative and creating that must have/need item.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    And their is not enough BB fans to support the company anymore. The BB fanboy loss is not important. Gaining new users is. Simple.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-14-15 08:51 AM
    If BB10 dies, I'm going Jolla too!
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    10-14-15 09:17 AM
    Of course we have a choice, quite a few, actually.

1. Stand pat. BB10 phones will likely work just fine for the next couple of years, and possibly longer. That's 2-3 iterations of iOS, Android and Windows phones, while true mobile computing becomes smaller and more convenient via 2-in ones and pro tablets.

2. Go iOS

3. Go Android

4. Lose the mobile phone entirely for a VOIP solution on an ultra portable computer.

I am of the opinion that all "smart phones" are actually dumb computers, without the horsepower, full featured OS, or I/O flexibility to make them worth the prices being paid.

My plan will likely be to maintain a BB10 phone for the next couple of years, and spend the savings on a Surface Pro 4 with wireless data to carry in my bag. I'll get the benefit of a real computer with full size keyboard, mouse, etc., and I won't have to buy and maintain a stable of single-purpose apps.

It just seems to me that "smart phones" are a phase between early cell phones and true, omnipresent portable computing. For the capabilities they provide the premium devices are way overpriced.

Posted via CB10
    You can keep telling yourself that but it still does not justify carrying around a man purse.
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-14-15 09:40 AM
    I'd be willing to wager that he isn't.

There are a lot of factors that need to come together in order for the Priv to do well. Unfortunately there might also be a lot of negatives tugging in the opposite direction. Not properly advertising the device, bringing it late to market, not having a sufficient amount of inventory on hand when the device does finally hit the shelves. All we have is the past history to judge the future with.

One thing that keeps gnawing at me the is John Chen's comment that 'Priv' stands for, in addition to privacy, privilege. He can't actually be thinking this new device is going to be some form of status symbol as was the case with RIM back in it's heyday can He?

History has a funny way of showing us what may come.
    I think that's just for marketing purposes (and not great marketing imho). I think he's just determined not to join the race to the bottom in terms of price / specs. And if the Slider can't make the numbers at higher margins, then that's game over for handsets. Then it's the BlackBerry Experience and possibly selling add on pkb accessories at most.

Hopefully they can make it as I enjoy many aspects of BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 09:49 AM
162 12345 ...