Well, I finagled a bit and was able to download Wayfinder 7 for the BlackBerry 8800 and am *trying* to use it on my 8830, at least in demo mode.

It actually works, at least so far as I can register the thing, which leads me to this post.

Does anyone using Wayfinder 7 have any idea how to get a 5-day free trial access code from the manufacturer?

I've sent two SMS messages and haven't gotten one response back with any 5-day access code as promised on the website. I've gotten the program to install on my 8830 from Verizon. I know I'm experimenting here, as it's listed for the 8800 and not the 8830. I'm just wanting to play with the maps. I can add bluetooth gps if I want to (as we in 8830-Verizon Land know, the 8830's gps is currently disabled) but I need to get Wayfinder 7 registered first.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
    Firefishe
    06-22-07 02:02 AM
    I was testing Navizon today--the peer-to-peer, cell tower location system--and I had to uninstall Wayfinder 7.

The problem is that now I can't install anything with Application Loader. I've tried everything I can think of: reboots, resetting the 8830, all of it has yielded nothing, although I am able to do over the air downloads.

Is anyone else having similar problems? I keep getting the error message:

"No additional applications designed for your device were found." I know that the .alx files I'm selecting are, indeed, the proper files for the attendant .cod file in the folder. I know it's for the proper device. Still, Application Loader won't let me load the files.

Is this related to an XML error or other text file that's buried in the file hierarchy?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Either here, or at vfisheATvzwDOTblackberryDOTnet .

Thanks in advance for this one. I'm stumped.

Warm regards,
    Firefishe
    06-25-07 05:38 AM
    **UPDATE**

I finally was able to test Wayfinder 7, and have this to report.

Unlike BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps--or even MG Maps--which load quickly and are easy to scroll through, WF7 proved to be so sluggish, I ended up rebooting my 8830 about four (4) times, just to clear out the overloaded buffer and get my handheld back.

I promptly deleted Wayfinder 7, it's just too much of a bloathog for the 8830's processor.

Also, you have to zoom in practically all the way to see anything useful. There *is* a lot of detail, but because of WF7's slow server response time when not near an EV-DO tower, and the 8830's slowish processor (Verizon really *bonked* on this one), I can only suggest that this product might work better on the 8800 with it's 300+MHz processor, not the 8830's sub-250MHz chip.

Wayfinder 7 has richly detailed maps, but they need a lesson in data compression and TCP/IP optimization.

Best regards,
    Firefishe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-07 11:56 PM
    Curious, how did you get the trial version to work? I'm stuck at the exact same spot as you.

Thanks!
    07-10-07 10:11 PM
    Curious, how did you get the trial version to work? I'm stuck at the exact same spot as you.

Thanks!
    I had to send Wayfinder support two e-mails and they finaly sent me the code to activate it for 5 days.
    08-30-07 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD