Here's the classic "my toddler threw my blackberry into the bathtub". Initially I broke all the rules: powered it on, removed the battery, replaced the battery, powered it on again, etc. The real problem was that my keypad worked terrible, intermittent at best. Clicking certain buttons locked the whole dang thing up. So I followed advice I found on a thread which said take it apart and spray it with WD40. So now 3 days later, my blackberry seems ok. I went ahead and ordered a new one, which I can barely afford. My current blackberry *seems* ok, it's worked flawlessly for 2 whole days. But I fear that as soon as I return the new bb, the old one will choke. I only need it to last about 9 more months before I'm eligible for an upgrade. What is typical? Do you think the old one will probably work fine from here on out, the WD40 prevents corrosion, no? Or is it such a gamble that it's better to keep the new one? I would love to hear your opinions.
    02-10-09 02:24 PM
    is anyone else experiencing the battery issue?!?!?!?
    02-10-09 02:25 PM
    My battery is fine.
    02-10-09 02:31 PM
    Ride it out until it kicks the bucket for sure and get a new one ! If its working then its fixed and there really isnt a reason to fix something that isn't broken!!

02-10-09 02:44 PM
    Like you said, it's a gamble. You can't predict if it will still continue to work okay like this for nine more months. If you can barely afford the new one though, I would send it back in a heartbeat. If after a while the old one continues to give you problems then you will need to get a new one.
    02-10-09 02:45 PM
    Blow Dry
    Top of dryer
    Bag of Rice
    Wipe
    Upgrade OS if higher OS
    Mine came all way back but not until I did a reset/wipe data....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 03:53 PM
    Using WD-40 probably gives you a better chance of survival, since it displaces water effectively and was a godsend to the electronics industry. Keep us posted on how it does over time Ok? Thanks.

02-10-09 05:08 PM
    Wow keep us posted on how it works.

02-10-09 06:59 PM
    So, when I upgraded from my 8700c to a curve, i had an empty coffee mug on my desk with little bits in it - screws, pens, etc. I also had a coffee mug with sweetened tea in it. Of course I dropped the 8700c in THAT mug as soon as I pulled the SIM out for the curve...

I pulled the battery out right away and left it out for a couple days (easy since I didn't need the phone...)

When I powered it back on later, the keyboard was useless. I pulled the battery again and did a series of rinses over the next several weeks. Dunk the keyboard in clean water, pull it out and let it dry, exercise the keyboard (with the battery out!), and repeat.

Every time, I'd let it dry (for days...), and power it on and test the keyboard. It got better every time. Now the 8700c is in perfect working condition which just blows me away.

Good luck!

Andy
    02-18-09 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD