I really don't get it. How are all these people getting water damage to their phones? Somebody actually had the phone in their pocket on a water ride? That's as smart as working on your laptop at the public pool full of kids and expecting it to stay dry.

People drop them in water - how and where? Seriously, I just don't understand how this happens so often. These phones are miniature computers. Why would you be any less cautious with this than your laptop or your computer at work?

Running a phone thru the wash, left in your pocket - maybe.

Years ago when I started working in computers we were taught to NEVER have open or uncovered containers of liquid near any of the electronics or we'd be paying for whatever we spilled on.

I seriously don't understand why people have so much damage to their phones. My phone is always on my desk or on my coffee table at home, or in my purse when I'm out of the house. Maybe I'm just a person who takes care of my stuff, no matter how much or little it costs.

Just a thought. Not meant to be hateful, I seriously don't understand why people are so careless.
    01-13-10 10:51 AM
    Sometimes they slip out of the case that is on your belt. Sometimes you fall/trip/get pushed and it goes flying out of your hand. Some people don't use purses. Some people have drinks on their desk and coffee table and accidents happens. There many reasons, etc.

Why bring it up? It will not solve anything and probably will start ticking people off because not everybody is like you claim to be. We'll probably see you back soon saying something happened to yours as well with regards to some sort of water damage.
    01-13-10 11:11 AM
    ^^^ well said ^^^

And accidents happen buddy. Life isn't perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 11:19 AM
    In my case, I was lucky. I was attaching water lines for my washer. As I seated the line on the faucet, the sillcock snapped off of the wall, and I was doused in a stream of icy-cold water. My Curve was in my pocket when I realized I was soaked, I dashed out of the bathroom, slipped my BlackBerry from my pocket, and breathed a sigh of relief as I wiped 2 drops off the back of my silicone skin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 11:36 AM
    Seriously, the great thing about bb's is that they go where computer's don't - which means more chances of getting stuff spilled on.
    Last edited by thosialg08; 01-13-10 at 12:50 PM.
    01-13-10 11:37 AM
    The fact is, water damage is not that common.

The members of CrackBerry do not represent a cross section of the nearly 40 million BlackBerry users. Most will never experience a problem becasue they take reasonable care of their phones.

01-13-10 11:39 AM
    i had my device charging on my bed side table, where it always is....... in walks a five year old, who decided that she was thirsty, and if she woke up in the middle of the night thirsty, well maybe dad would be thrirsty too....... so she fills up my giant ( verrrrrry big cup) glass that i left out on the dinning table, and brought it to me........ in the middle of the night, i wake up to her scream no!!!!! a crash, a thump, and the sound of watter dripping from the table.

I grabbed my daughter, and checked to make sure that she was ok ( she was, but a little scarred, and crying) i grabbed a towell, and dried everything off, including my blackberry........ i disconnected it from all power, threw it all into a bag of rice, tossed the bag on the heating vent, and went back to bed cuddled up with my thoughtfull daughter. left the phone there for a couple of days, pulled it out, and started it up.....works great.

moral of the story, my phone was not being abused, or mistreated. i wasnt thoughtless, or cavalier about it. an ACCIDENT happened, plain and simple. I took the proper steps for protecting the device, and it works just fine to this day ( and ive owned the same bb for 5 years now........ this incedent happened over a year ago.
    get off yer high horser, and understand that life happens.
    01-13-10 11:52 AM
    A few weeks ago I was enjoying a cocktail @ home. I had it on a coaster on my desk. My bb was on the desk as well, a few inches away from the drink. I went to my bedroom to grab a book & when I got back to my desk I found that my cat had knocked over my drink, & the mess had reached my bb. I yanked off the gel skin & inspected the phone. I saw that it had gotten a couple drops on it so I took off the battery cover & pulled the battery. Luckily, nothing had gotten inside the phone that I could tell. I wiped everything down w/ a cloth & a little alcohol, & everything was fine.

Years ago I was @ a bar w/ some friends. Someone asked to see a friend's razr. As he was handing it across the table, he fumbled it & it fell in a mug of beer. It couldn't have been dropped more squarer in that mug.
    01-13-10 12:45 PM
    The fact is, water damage is not that common.

The members of CrackBerry do not represent a cross section of the nearly 40 million BlackBerry users. Most will never experience a problem becasue they take reasonable care of their phones.

I agree with this... a ton of people come to crackberry with problems... your more likely to see problems here then people not having problems
    01-13-10 12:49 PM
    Okay. I didn't imagine such a simple question could cause a fuss.

blueeyestm - ... i doubt i'll be here any time soon whining about damage because i'll continue to take care of my phones as always and i've never had any type of damage to my electronics in all these years due to such "accidents."

Sometimes accidents I can understand, but not sheer carelessness as in various examples I've seen throughout the forum.

Monitors, please lock or delete the thread if you think it best. We've all got different opinions and I want no trouble with anyone over such a small issue.
    01-13-10 04:47 PM
    Seems quite simple to me.

Blackberry = mobile device

Life = something that often involves water, whether it be in beverages, weather (as in rain or snow), the basic building blocks of a lot of things, etc.

If Blackberry is meant to be a mobile device, used on the go, for as long and often as most users use it for, and life is the environment in which it is used in, it only makes sense that the two will collide at some point, miniscule in some instances, disastrous in some others.

---

lol, all manners of being facetious aside, I'm very careful about my mobile devices, often putting them in skins/cases when they are not being used.

But that being said, with coffee, drinks and etc. being around us constantly, and my Blackberry pretty well always being at my side, there have been instances where I COULD have had my BB soaked, but luckily, it didn't happen. I can definitely see how people come to situations where they're posting on forums "omg BB soaked, help, rice = good, right?"
    Last edited by Aspyred; 01-13-10 at 05:09 PM.
    01-13-10 05:04 PM
    Monitors, please lock or delete the thread if you think it best. We've all got different opinions and I want no trouble with anyone over such a small issue.
    I will close this thread at your request, and, I have edited your post to remove the content that violates our personal attack policy. Please do not engage in such behavour.
    01-13-10 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD