Pretty much this. Probably the most reasonable post in this thread.
    I'd agree about any other app other than bbm. Bbm needs to be everywhere if it is to compete

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:15 AM
    I think it was this one, when Kevin and Cali were interviewing Alex Kinsella.

BlackBerry joins us for #CESlive to discuss BBM 2.0 and more! | CrackBerry.com

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Thanks for the link. That was a good interview to watch.

Though it's interesting to note that Alex didn't specifically say there weren't enough WP users or devices per se. More accurately he said that there haven't been enough requests from WP users to build BBM for WP. I guess, depending on how various people would interpret it, it could be construed as basically the same. I find it a bit odd though, that not many WP users have requested it. I would have guessed that there was already a heavy demand. :shrug:
    01-12-14 09:03 AM
    Thanks for the link. That was a good interview to watch.

Though it's interesting to note that Alex didn't specifically say there weren't enough WP users or devices per se. More accurately he said that there haven't been enough requests from WP users to build BBM for WP. I guess, depending on how various people would interpret it, it could be construed as basically the same. I find it a bit odd though, that not many WP users have requested it. I would have guessed that there was already a heavy demand. :shrug:
    Yes, I would have guessed at there being some level of WinPhone demand for BBM as well.

I've privately noted in my, hopelessly statistically invalid, survey of ex-BB forum posters that a seemingly disproportionate number are now using WinPhones. You'd think that those folks might want to see xBBM, if only for the nostalgia, implying that there would be some demand.

Alternatively, Kinsella might be lying about the lack of demand.

After all, if the real reason BBM isn't on WinPhone is that BB are displaying exactly the same business logic that everyone else uses... the ROI of developing for platforms other than Android/iPhone just isn't worth their while; a decision not to support xBBM on WinPhone might be viewed as ironic hypocrisy.
    01-12-14 10:29 AM
    Alternatively, Kinsella might be lying about the lack of demand.

After all, if the real reason BBM isn't on WinPhone is that BB are displaying exactly the same business logic that everyone else uses... the ROI of developing for platforms other than Android/iPhone just isn't worth their while; a decision not to support xBBM on WinPhone might be viewed as ironic hypocrisy.
    So much this.
    01-12-14 01:12 PM
    this is getting way off topic. I simply feel like if you are making an accessory for example an LG band and you are supporting iOS and Android, its not that hard to port the app to work on BB and you have a bunch more market share possible. As long as all of the sensors and bluetooth work through the runtime I don't care if they officially support BB as long as it works.
    Supporting BlackBerry 10 is not going to give them a "bunch more market share" and that is why they don't. Again BlackBerry hasn't put effort into selling BlackBerry 10, so I don't see why so many here expect other companies to put effort into supporting it. BlackBerry needs to do more than simply make devices and expect people to develop for them.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 01:56 PM
    I don't think BB understands competition. Blackberry needs to get BBM on as many platforms as possible. keeping it on 2 platforms and leaving out features is not going to help them. there's a reason why Whatsapp's WP, Android and IOS app is CONSTANTLY updated.
    darkehawke and JeepBB like this.
    01-12-14 02:54 PM
    I don't think BB understands competition.
    Yes, this ^^^.

I've for some time had a mental picture of BB as a former big-beast who looks around with bewilderment at the young bucks muscling-in on what used to be his by right. And, I don't think the arrogance of BB has really been lost yet ("We don't follow the market, we are the market!" is a quote attributed to one of the BB bucks that I saw posted here).

BB had better start realising they aren't in Kansas anymore and that nothing will come their way without a fight. The days when BB could release uncompetitive products that would sell because they had "BlackBerry" on the case have gone. Though, I honestly wonder if BB understands that and that events like CESLive simply highlight that their time in the sun is passing.
    01-12-14 04:55 PM
    I don't think the arrogance of BB has really been lost yet
    BB was up for sale a few weeks ago, thousands were laid off, management is being completely overhauled and you still think BB is arrogant? Really?
    01-13-14 04:23 AM
    BB was up for sale a few weeks ago, thousands were laid off, management is being completely overhauled and you still think BB is arrogant? Really?

You think the culture of a company, built up over many years, can be changed in a few weeks? Really?

Yes. I still think that arrogance persists. The release of xBBM kind of supports that view... No video, channels later... It's OK though, seems to be BB's take, the world will wait for us to be competitive and feature complete. That's arrogance...

JBB
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-13-14 04:50 AM
    The problem is that the arrogance did not lie in the thousands laid off. So the problem is still there.
    Even the way they put themselves for sale was arrogant. Halfway through BlackBerry 10's debut year. A time that should have been crucial and focused. Instead they assumed that they can call the shots on a sale and completely crippled any drive that BlackBerry 10 had

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:09 AM
    I attribute the delays in BBM4ALL, and limited initial feature set and limited platform exposure to lack of money, poor resource allocation, and misplaced priorities and botched execution.

You guys attribute it to arrogance and to BlackBerry being "a bunch of morons". In my experience, people are usually less arrogant and less moronic than they are thought to be on message-boards.

We shall just agree to disagree.
    01-13-14 10:34 AM
    I attribute the delays in BBM4ALL, and limited initial feature set and limited platform exposure to lack of money, poor resource allocation, and misplaced priorities and botched execution.

You guys attribute it to arrogance and to BlackBerry being "a bunch of morons". In my experience, people are usually less arrogant and less moronic than they are thought to be on message-boards.

We shall just agree to disagree.
    Me and you are on different pages.
    I used to think like you so I understand where you are coming from.
    But we shall agree to disagree

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-13-14 10:48 AM
    BlackBerry did not support Windows Phone for BBM because BlackBerry, however struggling, needs to try and push itself as the third dominant platform.

Windows Phone is now. Pushing in front comfortably. The new sub-$200 BlackBerry being released for Indonesia, and other developing countries, is supposed to help clot the bleed that the Lumia 520/521 and other similar devices are causing.

Do I think it'll help? Yeah, I do. A $99 will help stop subscriptions from bleeding more than a $199, but can they afford a $99 on the market? We'll see.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    Well, John Chen just announced that BES support is coming to WP, so they're doing a terrible job at trying to keep their services from WP to push themselves...
    clickitykeys likes this.
    01-13-14 12:42 PM
    Me and you are on different pages.
    I used to think like you so I understand where you are coming from.
    But we shall agree to disagree

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. In my view the attitude at BlackBerry has turned a corner. In yours, it hasn't.

No matter. What counts is results. We'll see. I'm hopeful that the change in attitude leads to a change in the company's fortunes. You, on the other hand, believe that they have not changed, so they are still on the road to oblivion.

One of us will be proven right, though evidence suggests that, nowadays most people think like you do. So, I might be proven as the stupid one :-).
    01-13-14 03:08 PM
89 ... 234