I have been watching a ton of the CESLive coverage and there is a ton of new products and gadgets but they are all for Android or iOS only.

In 7 hours that I have watched I haven't seen a single reference to Blackberry. I am loving 10.2.1 but I have found that alot of the gadget apps just don't work. I really hope that they keep moving forward and at least make it possible to use these items by installing the APK's and having the outputs like bluetooth and camera etc work.
    01-09-14 12:41 AM
    So in other words it's pretty much been like all the other CESs of the last few years. I don't recall any of the past shows having any heavy BlackBerry related content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    nico2004 likes this.
    01-09-14 01:06 AM
    Well, Blackberry are focusing on getting the Jakarta out instead of engaging in a trade show too much, which is all right in my book.
    01-09-14 02:21 AM
    While having choices in OS's is good for consumers, it's not that good for people making the products, so you're not going to see much else besides "made for iOS and Android" at something like the CES.

At least not until consumers have shown there's a real demand for products that work with other OS's.

Visit Geek Lite C00123875
    TGR1 likes this.
    01-09-14 05:30 AM
    To be honest, it's worse for Windows Phone, because they are claiming they sold more windows phones than ios in 24 countries. BB is doing bad and we all know it so you might expect something like this. To be honest 10.2.1 is working perfect even with android apps so i cannot complain. Windows Phones have nothing so that's worse than BB at the moment
    01-09-14 05:40 AM
    I was kinda expecting this for BlackBerry
    However, I'm shocked at the lack of Windows Phone accessories. They are selling pretty well and are on a good track, but are almost left out of every accessory announcement :/

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 06:11 AM
    BlackBerry has never been a big participant of CES that I can recall. What I am optimistic about is that the news that are coming out about BlackBerry have been more positive. Stock rising slowly. New CEO who has sharpened focus. BlackBerry growing some balls with the Typo lawsuit.

In terms of accessories, what matters to my teen daughter is that she is able to find a wide variety of pretty accessories for her Z10. She has bought a case, screen shield, a dock charger and a battery bundle. She can't wait to show her phone off. And the apps downloaded from Snap have been working well for her and I.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-09-14 06:39 AM
    John Chen was able to hold a press conference even though BlackBerry has nothing to show there. That's impressive.

If you want them to have a strong showing it should be at Mobile World Congress next month.
    01-09-14 06:47 AM
    So in other words it's pretty much been like all the other CESs of the last few years. I don't recall any of the past shows having any heavy BlackBerry related content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "BlackBerry Guy" using an iPad.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 08:19 AM
    It's not a mainstream company anymore
    Poirots Progeny and milo53 like this.
    01-09-14 08:22 AM
    Mwc would surely be the place to showcase something, surely? Wp isn't showing much here either. February isn't too far off

Sent from Tapatalk
    01-09-14 08:33 AM
    Well, Blackberry are focusing on getting the Jakarta out instead of engaging in a trade show too much, which is all right in my book.
    The OP isn't concerned about BBRY's corporate involvement in the show, but rather the fact that third parties aren't supportive. BBRY doesn't need to be a show participant to benefit from third party support.
    Moonbase0ne and mikeo007 like this.
    01-09-14 08:57 AM
    The OP isn't concerned about BBRY's corporate involvement in the show, but rather the fact that third parties aren't supportive. BBRY doesn't need to be a show participant to benefit from third party support.
    Well, thanks for pointing the obvious about Blackberry's current plight...
    01-09-14 08:58 AM
    One of the reasons he's able to make balanced posts is because he send to enjoy using multiple devices.

I'm sure we can all guess which one he likes best...
    Acidwire and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    01-09-14 09:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    The things I say and the opinions I express do not change regardless of the device I happen to be using at the time. I could be using my Z10 as I am today, my Nexus 5 that I may be using tomorrow, or my iPad mini like I was using last night when I was just hanging out on the couch.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 10:02 AM
    Well, thanks for pointing the obvious about Blackberry's current plight...
    It certainly seemed obvious to me, but based on your prior post, it wasn't obvious enough for you to understand that the issue is third party focus, not BBRY's focus.
    blackmoe and bp3dots like this.
    01-09-14 10:11 AM
    It certainly seemed obvious to me, but based on your prior post, it wasn't obvious enough for you to understand that the issue is third party focus, not BBRY's focus.
    Well, okay, I read it differently ...my bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    01-09-14 10:12 AM
    this is getting way off topic. I simply feel like if you are making an accessory for example an LG band and you are supporting iOS and Android, its not that hard to port the app to work on BB and you have a bunch more market share possible. As long as all of the sensors and bluetooth work through the runtime I don't care if they officially support BB as long as it works.
    01-09-14 10:23 AM
    I don't really remember BlackBerry having much of a presence at CES in previous years.
    01-09-14 10:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't make his point any less valid.

I'd be willing to place a bet that more tablet wielding BlackBerry users are using an iPad, and not the PlayBook.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-09-14 10:29 AM
    this is getting way off topic. I simply feel like if you are making an accessory for example an LG band and you are supporting iOS and Android, its not that hard to port the app to work on BB and you have a bunch more market share possible. As long as all of the sensors and bluetooth work through the runtime I don't care if they officially support BB as long as it works.
    The thing is, if they repackage the app for distribution through BlackBerry World, they pretty much have to officially support it.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-09-14 10:34 AM
    The thing is, if they repackage the app for distribution through BlackBerry World, they pretty much have to officially support it.
    This ^^^

I doubt people are very forgiving about Android Apps that don't work properly under the BB10 runtime, even if they work perfectly on (real) Android devices, and will surely post negative feedback on their App. So, I suspect the Android devs see not porting as the lesser of two evils instead of being forced to support their Apps on a BB platform where it may not fully function and where a fix is likely beyond their control.

Also, "its not that hard to port the app to work on BB and you have a bunch more market share possible". "Not that hard" doesn't equate to zero time and effort and the fact that porting isn't widespread possibly reflects that 3rd Parties don't see the return on their effort in porting and supporting an App on a product with a tiny, tiny marketshare.
    look_alive likes this.
    01-09-14 01:23 PM
    I have been watching a ton of the CESLive coverage and there is a ton of new products and gadgets but they are all for Android or iOS only.

In 7 hours that I have watched I haven't seen a single reference to Blackberry. I am loving 10.2.1 but I have found that alot of the gadget apps just don't work. I really hope that they keep moving forward and at least make it possible to use these items by installing the APK's and having the outputs like bluetooth and camera etc work.
    If I was an established BB10 app developer, I would be walking around the floors of CES offering to build the apps for things I found interesting. But, I barely have 1 app made (still needs some work).

In other words, this should be an BB10 app developer opportunity.
    01-09-14 01:40 PM
    If I was an established BB10 app developer, I would be walking around the floors of CES offering to build the apps for things I found interesting. But, I barely have 1 app made (still needs some work).

In other words, this should be an BB10 app developer opportunity.
    Developers who want to become or stay established create Apps for profit, not out of love or "interest".
    01-09-14 01:49 PM
    Developers who want to become or stay established create Apps for profit, not out of love or "interest".
    I would see it this way, the company would have two choices
    1. Let the developer charge a download fee
    2. Pay the developer a fee for developing the app and another for continual support

Either way the developer will be have the opportunity to make money and the company has the opportunity to provide an app to another set of possible customers. I would guess that some of the start ups at CES are not in a position to throw away a multi-million customer base and would be okay with someone approaching them to cover a short coming in their development strategy.
    01-09-14 01:56 PM
89 123 ...