Hopefully this is in the right section. Just bought a 8900 and is using it on ATT without any problems. THan suddenly my x button becomes non responsive, it would take 3 or 4 clicks to register one. I called tmobile and they said they couldnt exchange it cause i dont have a line with them. They explained to me that RIM would exchange it though cause I still have the one year manufacturers warranty still. When i call RIM, all i get is this computer asking if im calling about t support, than when i click 1 (for yes) it asks me if im a member or not. Does anyone have any idea how i can get in contact with a HUMAN? I didnt pay for t support or anything, just looking to get my FREE 1 year warranty lol.
    04-07-09 10:41 AM
    Have you tried e-mailing them?
    04-07-09 12:39 PM
    RIM is real tough to reach by phone and they want a fee to speak with a tech usually. Listen to poe email them

Here is the 8900 Support page...

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve 8900

I'm digging around for an email, but their page is slow.

EDIT: I found the Contact Us page, you can do the digging from here....

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Contact Research In Motion (RIM)
    Last edited by pkcable; 04-07-09 at 01:28 PM.
    04-07-09 01:26 PM
    thanks guys. I should have emailed them but i got frustrated that after 6 calls to them, i got the same "are you a paying tech support customer" message. Emailed them right now, hoprefully they wont give me some bs about how they dont do warranties.
    04-07-09 08:39 PM
    btw, what do you guys think? you think RIM will honor or deny me the warranty cause im using one of their phones unlocked.
    04-07-09 08:47 PM
    No idea. They probably will honor it if it's device defect. However, if the device was exposed to any moisture, even a little bit, it might not be covered.

Also, to the issue of the message you are getting when you call them. That's how it works. RIM does not provide free user tech support. You have to pay.
    04-07-09 09:01 PM
    No idea. They probably will honor it if it's device defect. However, if the device was exposed to any moisture, even a little bit, it might not be covered.

Also, to the issue of the message you are getting when you call them. That's how it works. RIM does not provide free user tech support. You have to pay.
    after those multiple times i called i think i finally grasped the concept that rims tech service is a paid service. BUT warranty service should be right? they wont try to get me to pay for the tech service just to get my phone serviced correct?
    the moisture shouldn't be a problem. It never got wet, not even a little.
    hopefully they wont ask for the receipt because i dont have it, but the red sticker that checks if you opened the phone is perfect still so that should be good.
    do you know how there service works? do they send a phone first, or do i send mine out first etc etc. Crossing my fingers for a unlocked phone, it would be a **** if they sent me a tmo locked phone lol.
    04-07-09 09:19 PM
    sometimes i don't get CS at all. After emailing them and specifically explaining that tmobile told me to go to rim about the warranty (i also explained that tmobile said they won't be able to warranty the phone cause i dont have a active line with them ((im on att))) this is what the RIM cs wrote back

"Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your BlackBerry device. All BlackBerry units come with a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects from the date of purchase. This warranty is processed by your service provider on your behalf.

Please contact your service provider as they field general queries, provide technical as well as warranty support for all BlackBerry-related issues, and are your exclusive point of contact in these matters.

Note: If your BlackBerry device is over one year old, please contact us at one of the numbers below as we may be able to process a repair or exchange.

Thank you again for contacting us and have a nice day."

do they mean go to ATT and ask them about a warranty for a phone they dont carry?
    04-07-09 09:34 PM
    do they mean go to ATT and ask them about a warranty for a phone they dont carry?

No. Take your phone and your receipt to T-Mobile. They sold it to
    you, the warranty is their responsibility, not AT&T's
    04-07-09 10:01 PM
    He doesn't have a T-mobile account, so he cant go that route.
    04-07-09 10:06 PM
    yeah, xpimp is correct. called the CS rep today to see if i can go that route. Was politely turned down because I didn't have a active line with them. I guess the balls in RIM's court. Lets see if they want to be nice or mean.
    04-07-09 10:07 PM
    yeah, xpimp is correct. called the CS rep today to see if i can go that route. Was politely turned down because I didn't have a active line with them. I guess the balls in RIM's court. Lets see if they want to be nice or mean.
    He doesn't have a T-mobile account, so he cant go that route.
    I don't think this is correct or matters. They, T-Mobile, sold ipodlover a clearly
    defective device. Whether there is an account or not the warranty is still on
    them, which is why I'd take it to the store it was purchased from with the
    receipt and completely bypass CS.
    04-07-09 11:51 PM
    I don't think this is correct or matters. They, T-Mobile, sold ipodlover a clearly
    defective device. Whether there is an account or not the warranty is still on
    them, which is why I'd take it to the store it was purchased from with the
    receipt and completely bypass CS.
    I'm going to assume that Ipodlover brought the phone maybe off ebay, or Craigslist, or somewhere other then T-mobile directly? If that is the case then T-mobile has no obligation to him especially if he isn't even a customer.
    04-07-09 11:56 PM
    Unless I am missing something here(I really could be) but was this device actually purchased from T-Mo or somewhere else? Just curious
    04-08-09 12:00 AM
    Unless I am missing something here(I really could be) but was this device actually purchased from T-Mo or somewhere else? Just curious
    I dunno based on Ipod's original post, and what T-mobile is telling him. It seems as if he purchased the phone elsewhere. But only he can clear that up.
    04-08-09 12:13 AM
    I dunno based on Ipod's original post, and what T-mobile is telling him. It seems as if he purchased the phone elsewhere. But only he can clear that up.
    Rereading that, I think you may be correct. That should have been my 1st question.
    04-08-09 12:28 AM
    yup, the phone was bought from CL.
    but i was under the impression the warranty follows the phone (just like how apple does it).
    so does this mean my warranty is nonexistent?
    04-08-09 07:35 AM
    I'm afraid it is nonexistent. The warranty does not follow the phone. It
    follows the original purchaser.

BlackBerry

The BlackBerry Handheld, the BlackBerry Cradle, and any other RIM hardware accessories, excluding external batteries and SIM cards, which are provided to YOU concurrently and in conjunction with the BlackBerry Handheld specifically for use with YOUR particular model of BlackBerry Handheld (which together comprise the BlackBerry Hardware), will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end-user ("YOU") and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End-User/Software License Agreement (the "License Agreement") entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies' ("RIM") in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the "Warranty Period"). This Limited Warranty is not transferable.
    04-08-09 07:49 AM
    damn.....

well thanks guys for all the help!
    04-08-09 08:20 AM
    I know with AT&T the warranty follows the phone. I did this with a Treo 750 I brought off craigslist. Not sure how it works with T-mobile? If you know someone with T-mobile maybe try and have them do a swap for you to see if it works.
    04-08-09 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD