We all know how slow blackberry has been in the past and where it resulted them. I wanted to write about this topic earlier on but decided to stop after thinking about it and realizing by doing so it could hurt talented developers like #Igrann #Whine and the others. After recent reports suggested Microsoft was thinking of doing the same thing, one thing was clear to me , they wanted to block the emergence of a potential rise of blackberry. With the release of 10.2.1, it has showed the true ease of which apps from google play can be installed on the blackberry platform. Although easy, a lot of people out there will still not go through the process of side-loading or not even hear of such a method. To make it super easy and accessible to all, I think blackberry should step up and allow snap into blackberry world. I mean, come to think of it, why engineer a way to run a different platform apps(android apps) on your platform (blackberry) and make it difficult to utilize or even unknown to many out there. I personally know people that just hate the fact that they have to connect to a pc to do it. Many of blackberry's "small" number of existing customers are in the developing countries, who may not have easy access to all the necessary tools like a pc, internet to make sideloading easy for them. We all know blackberry has made errors in the past and has just watched the competition pass them. You now have a brilliant idea that is working for some folks, why not make it official. My opinion, let's hear yours.
    93Aero likes this.
    02-13-14 11:02 PM
    No. There's an easier way of getting apps. BB should approach the app developer and have him put his app in BBW. We have a section for native apps, the built for BB apps, and the rest, android and android ports will go into the other section, as it is now in BBW. Approach the top 100 or 200 app developers and have them do this. They will be tested by BB and if they are good they go into BBW. Sorted. We don't need the mess that Apple and googles stores have. 1 000 000 apps and 800 000 are crap. The cat is out the bag now.
    02-14-14 03:08 AM
    I understand we are doing the best we can for now and appreciate what these third party app store guys have done, but, sideloading Snap and 1mobile and loading google android apps onto our phones is just bad for BlackBerrys image and bad for business. From BlackBerrys point of view allowing a third party app store to control your device and what goes onto it is just so wrong. Blackberry could do with the app revenue generated by selling apps in BBW. Just my opinion.
    02-14-14 03:48 AM
    That's a good idea

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:15 AM
    No. There's an easier way of getting apps. BB should approach the app developer and have him put his app in BBW. We have a section for native apps, the built for BB apps, and the rest, android and android ports will go into the other section, as it is now in BBW. Approach the top 100 or 200 app developers and have them do this. They will be tested by BB and if they are good they go into BBW. Sorted. We don't need the mess that Apple and googles stores have. 1 000 000 apps and 800 000 are crap. The cat is out the bag now.
    There was a whole campaign to get developers on the platform, and weren't they even enticed with pay incentives?
    We have more access now with Snap than developers who came over.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:20 AM
    There was a whole campaign to get developers on the platform, and weren't they even enticed with pay incentives?
    We have more access now with Snap than developers who came over.

Posted via CB10
    I was just about to say the same thing. These devs don't think about blackberry at all. Why not get their attention but showing them you can still use their app. We were able to draw amazon's attention when we showed them we can use their app.
    02-14-14 09:26 AM
    I understand we are doing the best we can for now and appreciate what these third party app store guys have done, but, sideloading Snap and 1mobile and loading google android apps onto our phones is just bad for BlackBerrys image and bad for business. From BlackBerrys point of view allowing a third party app store to control your device and what goes onto it is just so wrong. Blackberry could do with the app revenue generated by selling apps in BBW. Just my opinion.
    Well, Microsoft is now the third power in the smartphone category in terms of sales and if they are considering doing the same thing, where does this leave blackberry? BlackBerry will never get close to them if they allow android apps like they are planning to. Regardless of the small amount of apps they have, they are still outselling bb
    02-14-14 09:31 AM
    BlackBerry need to get Googles attention by breaking a deal before Microsoft throws money at them

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:45 AM
    Legally they can't do this it's the same reason they didn't announce apk compatibility with 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 running 10.2.1.1925
    02-14-14 10:39 AM
    Legally they can't do this it's the same reason they didn't announce apk compatibility with 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 running 10.2.1.1925
    Not announcing it doesn't mean Google doesn't know or can't take a legal stance. Google wants to reign and has turned a blind eye on it.
    02-14-14 12:38 PM
    Not announcing it doesn't mean Google doesn't know or can't take a legal stance. Google wants to reign and has turned a blind eye on it.
    Google can't take a legal stance as android is open source, all BlackBerry did was fork a version of android kinda like amazon, a lot of Chinese oems and now Nokia.

Snap violate Google plays TOA and that's why it can't be allowed into BlackBerry World.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    jrohland likes this.
    02-14-14 01:43 PM
    BlackBerry need to get Googles attention by breaking a deal before Microsoft throws money at them

Posted via CB10
    MS has been suing Android OEMs for patents the last few years so Google isn't too happy, it may be a bigger hill to climb than you think...or maybe that will be leverage.
    02-14-14 01:47 PM
    They tried that already. It didn't work.
    They even guaranteed them $10 000 in sales if they met certain conditions.
    02-14-14 03:15 PM
    Interesting idea. Can the devs get any feedback showing them that their apps downloaded from Play actually run on BB?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 03:35 PM
    First thing is there is no problem if BlackBerry runs andriod as we all know its an open source.

Secondly as some one mentioned the violation of snap, I don't much have understanding here as to where snap really violates, is it that since play store was setup only for andriod os mobile and since bb's isn't that and still through snap we are able to download content from play store? Or is it something else, something legal?

Then the bbw having section for ports of andriods again which someone said was tried but of no avail, I really don't know when this was tried by BlackBerry. But if this happens and somehow the apps gets tweaked so that even with certain permissions denied apps get to work then it is a real great thing for BlackBerry users, as personally I don't use andriod apps except for 1 or 2 since we need to grant all the permissions for the app to run.

So only thing left is for BlackBerry to go into some sort of agreement to make the play store also list bb10 as proper device which can use its content. This I know we have been to going through over an over, which is not gonna happen.

And as far as I can understand, even Microsoft can't do a thing if it is against legalities, unless they buy Google and get the rights which is next to impossible. We dint have to worry about the issue raised I believe.

So ultimately, it's a BB and not an andriod and if we feel still its a lot of steps process to load in the apk's , then we always have the andriod mobiles and no one stops us from buying them

Cheers!

Via The Monster Z30
    Last edited by BB_Santa; 02-14-14 at 03:52 PM.
    02-14-14 03:38 PM
    BlackBerry will never allow Google on there devise. It's like dealing with the devil. What they need to do is get more units into more hands. The the plain and simple of it. Snap and amazon are band-aids. Once the phones see more people the deck will take interest. And I also wanted to point out that their have been a lot of good apps coming. So keep the faith

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry will never allow Google on there devise. Like the play store. It deals the purpose of having bbe and would damage enticing Dev to build.
    It's like dealing with the devil. What they need to do is get more units into more hands. The the plain and simple of it. Snap and amazon are band-aids. Once the phones see more people the deck will take interest. And I also wanted to point out that their have been a lot of good apps coming. So keep the faith

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 04:52 PM
    Warning noted.
    02-14-14 05:09 PM
    The most healthy way to do this is to have the apk from the Blackberry World, Blackberry must talk to the developers to test the apk as it is, if it works fine upload it to Blackberry World, this would be the correct way to do it.
    02-14-14 05:11 PM
    First thing is there is no problem if BlackBerry runs andriod as we all know its an open source.

Secondly as some one mentioned the violation of snap, I don't much have understanding here as to where snap really violates, is it that since play store was setup only for andriod os mobile and since bb's isn't that and still through snap we are able to download content from play store? Or is it something else, something legal?

Then the bbw having section for ports of andriods again which someone said was tried but of no avail, I really don't know when this was tried by BlackBerry. But if this happens and somehow the apps gets tweaked so that even with certain permissions denied apps get to work then it is a real great thing for BlackBerry users, as personally I don't use andriod apps except for 1 or 2 since we need to grant all the permissions for the app to run.

So only thing left is for BlackBerry to go into some sort of agreement to make the play store also list bb10 as proper device which can use its content. This I know we have been to going through over an over, which is not gonna happen.

And as far as I can understand, even Microsoft can't do a thing if it is against legalities, unless they buy Google and get the rights which is next to impossible. We dint have to worry about the issue raised I believe.

So ultimately, it's a BB and not an andriod and if we feel still its a lot of steps process to load in the apk's , then we always have the andriod mobiles and no one stops us from buying them

Cheers!

Via The Monster Z30
    Snap violates Google play because only companies part of the open android alliance (or something) can have headsets run apps from Google play and use Googles apps, and Google services.

BlackBerry never really tried this 100 percent yet, they allowed developers to convert apks to bar files and submit them to BlackBerry World. BlackBerry has just opened up BlackBerry World to apk submission with the latest 10.2.1 update, so will see how that goes.

I don't think BlackBerry can go into a deal with Google for Google play access due to the fact there not part of the open alliance. TAT is which BlackBerry owns, but don't think that's enough.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    02-14-14 05:12 PM
    You guys are seriously overestimating the need for Android apps for WP. Hardly anyone at WPCentral thinks this'll really happen. Most likely its just an idea that they'll pass around and everyone has universally agreed that they would only allow in Android games (since they look identical to iOS and WP games e.g. Subway Surfer), but they wouldn't allow other apps in because they aren't Metro. Based on the SDK leaks, Microsoft is beefing up their SDK to allow code to be transferred easily between W8 and WP8 which will give developers a bigger audience as opposed to Blackberry's strategy of "hey, here's another platform's apps".

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    02-14-14 07:29 PM
    You guys are seriously overestimating the need for Android apps for WP. Hardly anyone at WPCentral thinks this'll really happen. Most likely its just an idea that they'll pass around and everyone has universally agreed that they would only allow in Android games (since they look identical to iOS and WP games e.g. Subway Surfer), but they wouldn't allow other apps in because they aren't Metro. Based on the SDK leaks, Microsoft is beefing up their SDK to allow code to be transferred easily between W8 and WP8 which will give developers a bigger audience as opposed to Blackberry's strategy of "hey, here's another platform's apps".

I happen to agree.

I doubt it'll happen. WP8 does have an app gap, but IMHO, it is showing how patience (and a HUGE war chest) can gradually change the tide.

I've been wrong before, but it makes no sense for MSFT to jump on the Android bandwagon at this juncture.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-14-14 07:36 PM

Well what do you expect BlackBerry to do? Sit and tell it's users to just wait to official apps show up? No body's gonna wait that long and Bb10 could end up with no users.

I agree the Android runtime isn't the best option, but it's literally one of the only options they have. They don't have the money to pay off developers, they don't have the user base to attract developers, and with out developed apps they have nothing to attract consumers.

I'd like to know what better option then the Android runtime you suggest BlackBerry take? Because I'm sure they discussed this exact topic before deciding to go with the runtime.

mornhavon likes this.
    02-14-14 07:42 PM
    Well what do you expect BlackBerry to do? Sit and tell it's users to just wait to official apps show up? No body's gonna wait that long and Bb10 could end up with no users.

I agree the Android runtime isn't the best option, but it's literally one of the only options they have. They don't have the money to pay off developers, they don't have the user base to attract developers, and with out developed apps they have nothing to attract consumers.

I'd like to know what better option then the Android runtime you suggest BlackBerry take? Because I'm sure they discussed this exact topic before deciding to go with the runtime.

I think you may be a little confused. My post was in regards to people saying that Microsoft is going to bring Android apps to WP and how it really doesn't need it that much. They have the ecosystem to properly attract developers, which is something Blackberry doesn't have. Frankly, I'm not the expert on Blackberry so I'm not sure they could've done anything else besides make the Android Runtime (although I'll admit, until I understood what that meant, I looked down on Blackberry and thought it was just some Android malware garbage and that they didn't care about security, but now I understand what just having the runtime means) since they don't have the ecosystem or userbase for BB10 to get apps.

Frankly, I'm confused as to why BB NEEDS these apps. Everytime I get on here, people talk about how their Blackberries are "great communication tools to get the job done" (BTW, that's really vague and I don't understand how one device with a phone/text messaging app can be better at a job than another, but that's beside the point) so why would it NEED these apps? To sell to the average consumer? For what? Blackberry apparently is purely enterprise focused, why does it need to appeal to consumers? Frankly, since everyone here says stuff like "I don't need apps", I don't see why Blackberry is messing with this. Just having Android ruins their reputation for security.

That's my $0.02.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-14-14 08:48 PM

+1
    02-14-14 08:49 PM
30 12