It's never as bad as our naysayers make it out to be. Relax haters, everyone understands where things are today. Still profitable and the future is bright.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-26-12 at 12:50 AM.
    morlock_man likes this.
    02-26-12 12:17 AM
    I agree they need better marketing, but I'm betting RIM's money is on BB10 and the PlayBook has been purely a half a billion dollar social marketing experiment. If you consider the PlayBook as a method of getting one's foot in the door during the development phase of the new OS, it gives them the opportunity to develop both the platform and the user base while the OS is being perfected. A work in progress.
    Your position here is a bit disingenuous. RIM promised a professional-grade device. Whether they achieved that goal is debatable, but what isn't debatable is that RIM dd not frame this device as some kind of "social experiment" or a way of "getting a foot in the door." These types of claims only popped up after the PlayBook's sales trailed off.
    02-26-12 12:42 AM
    It's never as bad as our naysayers make it out to be. Relax haters, everyone understands where things are today.
    Nice they are using sex to push integration and multitasking. Good stuff. Hopefully these ads don't backfire.
    02-26-12 12:51 AM
    Nice they are using sex to push integration and multitasking. Good stuff. Hopefully these ads don't backfire.
    Backfire? It's an old add that was never more than event specific. It's well within the limits of check fun that's it. People really need to lighten up.
    02-26-12 01:17 AM
    Backfire? It's an old add that was never more than event specific. It's well within the limits of check fun that's it. People really need to lighten up.
    Lighten up? I said it was cool. Should I have jumped up and down cheering instead?

It can backfire because I can prude and super religious people getting upset about the ad with the threesome.

Maybe you should lighten up.
    02-26-12 01:28 AM
    It Does run nuke' stations , there is nothing arbitrary about this. This tablet isnt just for parasitic consumers who do nothing but consume everything in there path,they are not nearly that important,and considering that the millitay , government and anyone else thats acualy important in this world are quite pleased with the playbook ,I say that the average consumer grow a brain and by a media junky based tab(Pad or Droid) and go away and quit scewing with a very Able tablet.
    You know what also run military missile system, radar defense, satellite tracking system,... Yes, linux and windows.
    What are running on supercomputer and cloud service datacenter around the world? Linux and Windows.

different OS for different task
    02-26-12 01:28 AM
    You know what also run military missile system, radar defense, satellite tracking system,... Yes, linux and windows.
    What are running on supercomputer and cloud service datacenter around the world? Linux and Windows.

different OS for different task
    This seems to be inline with this article.

Air Force Special Ops Cancels iPad Procurement Plan | InvestorPlace
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-26-12 at 01:50 AM.
    02-26-12 01:41 AM
    Lighten up? I said it was cool. Should I have jumped up and down cheering instead?

It can backfire because I can prude and super religious people getting upset about the ad with the threesome.

Maybe you should lighten up.
    Go back and read again, you never said it was cool and I never said you should lighten up. Truce?
    02-26-12 01:48 AM
    So .......?

The topic is about QNX kernel, unless you are imply that QNX, Linux, Windows system running on military system and supercomputer are the same as system on Playbook, Android.
    Last edited by Vindicators; 02-26-12 at 01:58 AM.
    02-26-12 01:54 AM
    So .......?

The topic is about QNX kernel, unless you are imply that QNX, Linux, Windows system running on military system and supercomputer are the same on Playbook, Android.
    Perhaps there's a "secret" iPad running Linux and/or Windows.
    02-26-12 01:57 AM
    That's just one thing few people understand.It's an accepted fact that Mike L was blind-sighted....Customers lined up outside Verizon stores for Blackberry Storm like they do for Iphone now.
    The word is short-sighted. Blind would indicate iPhone/iPad/Android came out of no where.

2007 - iPhone - RIM no response
    2008 - App Store - RIM Storm 1
    2009 - iOS traction in the market place Rim more java Blackberries
    2010 - iPad - RIM no response
    2011 - iPad 2 - Playbook with unfinished OS

That is not being blind sided.
    02-26-12 02:28 AM
    Go back and read again, you never said it was cool and I never said you should lighten up. Truce?
    You got me, I said "good stuff". I guess I can erase this from my memory.
    02-26-12 02:57 AM
    Very doubtful. You forget that ANY company could have bought QNX if their technology and micro kernel was really that desirable. They didnt.

Google bought Android, and Microsoft and Apple both chose to develop something based on their existing technologies and assets, even though both companies have never known to be shy when it comes to buying their way to an advanced or tempting technology.
    Nokia, Palm, Samsung etc. etc. etc. also all passed on buying QNX.

That would indicate that nobody in the industry believes that QNX is particularily competitive or advanced compared to their own offerings.

If they didnt want to acquire QNX it seems unlikely that they regard it highly enough to try to combat or kill it...
    Perhaps. Except QNX is a Canadian company I believe whose technology is used in some sensitive areas and industries. So not just anyone could have acquired them without needing the ok of the Canadian government.
    02-26-12 03:40 AM
    The word is short-sighted. Blind would indicate iPhone/iPad/Android came out of no where.

2007 - iPhone - RIM no response
    2008 - App Store - RIM Storm 1
    2009 - iOS traction in the market place Rim more java Blackberries
    2010 - iPad - RIM no response
    2011 - iPad 2 - Playbook with unfinished OS

That is not being blind sided.

Ohh thank you. English is not my first language but I digress ...

So the point is he didn't see the future.But that can happen from time to time.If you follow corporate world closely you will see mistakes galore.Intel selling mobile unit in 2006, HP buying Compaq in 2000, Google buying clearwire and then offloading it for 90% loss ... Senior executives are people like you and me ... they are not infallible ... they are allowed to make mistakes ... as long as it's genuine mistakes and that steps are taken to correct it we can all be little forgiving ...

Bottomline RIM is right now on the right path.Let's wish it well.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-26-12 05:35 AM
    The QNX Neutrino microkernel is small enough to sit in the cpu cache. The OSX hybrid kernel doesn't even come close. For stable, low power, multi-core cloud devices thats pretty important.

Here's an interesting article from almost 10 years ago that takes a look at the developing Mac OS X and compares it to the Linux and QNX kernels. It's actually more Linux-slanted, it compares and then writes off both QNX and Mach as failed experiments.

Apple's quaint choice of a microkernel for Mac OS X means Linux will lead in performance on Mac hardware.
    Obsolete Microkernel Dooms Mac OS X to Lag Linux in Performance

Note, this article was published 4 years prior to the patent mentioned in the OP. It's interesting to see just how much things have changed in a decade.
    02-26-12 03:34 PM
    The QNX Neutrino microkernel is small enough to sit in the cpu cache. The OSX hybrid kernel doesn't even come close. For stable, low power, multi-core cloud devices thats pretty important.
    How big is it?

Here's an interesting article from almost 10 years ago that takes a look at the developing Mac OS X and compares it to the Linux and QNX kernels. It's actually more Linux-slanted, it compares and then writes off both QNX and Mach as failed experiments.

Obsolete Microkernel Dooms Mac OS X to Lag Linux in Performance

Note, this article was published 4 years prior to the patent mentioned in the OP. It's interesting to see just how much things have changed in a decade.
    I still think microkernels do sacrifice performance for some of the same reasoning cited in that article. In fact, I think that factor is worse now with modern CPUs.

Apple has made Mach much less "micro" over time as a result. This is the whole reason. I suspect RIM will learn the same lesson over time as well.
    02-26-12 03:46 PM
    To be a true microkernel, you're talking 10,000 lines of code or less.

Microkernels sacrifice performance to obtain stability and power efficiency, but the performance hit seems pretty minor when you look at the PlayBook's browser score versus the iPad 2. And that's after less than a year of optimization, with a good portion of the time spent adding new features. The platform is coming along nicely.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 02-26-12 at 09:02 PM.
    02-26-12 05:06 PM
    The PlayBook and NFC.

Looking more and more cloud-like every day.
    02-27-12 08:54 PM
    05-02-12 09:50 AM
    it seems obvious to me anyway that these trolls that come here to poo poo everything RIM does are paid to bash RIM. I mean who goes to a fan site to complain? I bought the iphone4S and it was a total hype and a huge let down but I would never waste my time on an isheep fan site and cry and bash and poo poo everything apple does.
    05-02-12 10:17 AM
    it seems obvious to me anyway that these trolls that come here to poo poo everything RIM does are paid to bash RIM. I mean who goes to a fan site to complain? I bought the iphone4S and it was a total hype and a huge let down but I would never waste my time on an isheep fan site and cry and bash and poo poo everything apple does.

I wouldn't do that either. I would quietly and politely return it before the 15/30 day exchange window closed and leave it at that if I wasn't satisfied.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 02:10 AM
    Innovation Frontline: Research In Motion's LTE Patents Can Help Apple Against Google

Found an interesting article written last September.

The author discusses the 43 patents RIM claims on LTE RAN applications that he believes would help Apple in the struggle against Google (if Apple purchased RIM).

Patent Database Search Results: AN/"Paratek Microwave" in US Patent Collection

Add to this Paratek, a company that specializes in voltage tunable thin film LTE radio ICs, appears to have had over 100 patents regarding these technologies before being purchased by RIM in March.

As far as LTE is concerned RIM appears to have an exceptionally strong patent portfolio. After BB10 hits the market, they'll be in a much stronger position to leverage them against the current heavyweights.
    05-22-12 05:03 PM
    @morlock_man. Apple isn't about to or will even bother to purchase RIM. I won't want to see that even happen. Let apple fend for itself, leave rim alone. Back on topic now.
    05-22-12 05:09 PM
    I'm not claiming Apple will purchase RIM.

The author of the first article suggested, back in September, that Apple needed RIM as their patent portfolio is weak in LTE.

I'm just adding this to the list of RIM's strengths.

A strong patent portfolio regarding microkernels and SMP.

And an equally strong portfolio regarding LTE technologies.
    05-22-12 05:14 PM
    @morlock_man Apologies for misinterpretation. Whoever suggested that, didn't think twice. lol
    05-22-12 05:25 PM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD