Hi there, i currently use a 8100 and been happy with it but it's 2yo and slowish.
    I'm currently on t-mo, it's slow but coverage is OK where i live and my plan is 29.99/month (unlimited data) I have NO minutes, which is fine with me, i barely talk !10mn a month so paying 20c/mn is way cheaper than any plan.

SO to be clear: I want unlimited data (free tethering a plus) and do not care at all about minutes and want the whole thing to be cheap (no way i'm spending over 50$/month for a damn phone plan !)

I guess t-mo is still the cheapest(now 39.99/month), what would a data only plan cost with other carriers ? yes i know t-mo is edge only=slow.

Now as for the device, i'd really like a Bold but t-mo does not seem to offer that (no 3G), but i also like the Javelin/8900 specs, what do you think about that device ?

Thanks
    05-04-09 02:28 PM
    Wow, you won't pay over $50 a month including unlimited data? I didn't even realize such a thing was possible. Granted, my total cost is around that much but it's on a family plan so my voice is only $9.99/month...
    05-04-09 03:08 PM
    I see it this way:
    Keep in mind i barely make any phone calls, so i don't have a "phone" talk plan, so it's data only i'm talking about.

So I'm just paying for internet service basically, which is way slower and crappier that what i would get on a computer, and i probably use like <20M / month, so why should it cost more than my home internet ??

When i say "unlimited" i mean that i don't want to pay per kb, but i'm perfectly fine with a cap like 200MB/month.
    05-04-09 03:21 PM
    I think you're the first person I've ever seen post that has data only on their BB. I saw it on the Tmob menus but never heard this story. You should check other carriers but I would be surprised if you can get data only straight to a BB with someone else. Data only packages are for laptops and they usually cost at least $40/mo.
    05-04-09 03:25 PM
    You are right it can be hard to find.
    Got it through car toys at a "tent" event (i think they don't care to sell you extra plans as much as the phone provider). paid 50$ for the 8100. with voice plan was 0$.

Of course they want you to get a voice plan as well, so they can charge you 15$ in BS taxes.

If you talk 10mn/month like me a voice plan sucks, cheapest one is probably ~ 20$ + 10$ tax ... so that's like 3$/mn for me

I guess i'll see if when the plan expires in 2 month i can keep it and just upgrade the phone .. one can always dream.
    05-04-09 03:33 PM
    I feel you, I used 7 minutes one month recently and ALL of them were calling my voicemail. It's just not easy to come by!
    05-04-09 03:37 PM
    Other than the plan, what do you think about the 8900, i really like the spec. How does it stack vs the Bold.
    And also how is the WIFI?
    Most places i am i have WIFI, and on the road Edge would do, so i don't think i would miss 3G that much.
    05-04-09 03:48 PM
    You can replace it (reg device/or unlock device) as long as keeping data plan under tmobile service.. thats simple..
    05-04-09 04:01 PM
    I think Verizon may have a data-only plan, but I don't know if it allows you to make any calls at all, even if you pay per minute.
    05-04-09 04:04 PM
    Remember, if you stay with T-Mo and pick a new phone your contract plan price stays the same. You can go an buy a bold and unlock it for T-mo at edge speeds.
    05-04-09 04:22 PM
    Yeah sounds like unless i switch from tmo, best deal is to stick to the same plane and just get a 9000 or 8900 .. i guess i'll do that.

Bold or Javelin ?
    05-04-09 04:33 PM
    I feel you, I used 7 minutes one month recently and ALL of them were calling my voicemail. It's just not easy to come by!
    lol only! I talk so much on my berry! I love it!
    05-04-09 04:44 PM
    Wow, 7 minutes in a month?! I don't think I can even do that and I hate talking on the phone.

I have so many rollover minutes(at&t) that even if I did use all my minutes(450) I wouldn't have to worry at all.
    05-04-09 05:07 PM
    Yeah usually it is a little higher because I have no home phone, but I laughed pretty hard at that bill. Usually it is 20ish. This month it was 39 but I honestly have no idea how.
    05-04-09 08:29 PM
    8900 if you are staying tmo. The bolds main feature won't work on tmo and that's 3g. And the 8900 has uma so you can talk for FREE on wifi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 01:58 AM
    Thanks, that's what i was thinking, and i also like the better camera.
    05-05-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD