I want to free up as much memory as possible, and want no SMS/MMS... so what files would I move to my 'removed files' folder to free up memory?

Thanks in advance
    03-30-09 01:06 AM
    Like you never want to get txts or you just want to delete all that you presently have to free up memory?

If you just want to delete all your messages, highlight the date and then menu key and delete prior. You can use the menu key and view folders to see any sent msgs and whatnot and do the delete prior there.

If u are trying to eliminate any txting altogether...I have no idea

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 01:26 AM

lol

What is your current memory?
    03-30-09 01:31 AM
    Here are some tips to increase your file free memory.... The link at the bottom is invaluable....I assume you are having no issues but are looking to just regain some memory.

1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations) as well as the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

4. Optional - delete facebook and viigo if you need to free up room and wish to start deleting apps, those are the first two that are known to cause problems for many users.

After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread below will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-30-09 01:31 AM
    I should have been more clear! I know you're trying to be helpful but .... if I'm removing files I'm not a complete newb.
    We're way past the basic "how to increase BB's file free memory" class and in to the advanced "we need more memory cause something ate it up with the new OS".
    Though the culprit that I've suspected for a week now, Docs2Go, was it because when completely deleted it freed up more on my handheld than what it was showing in the app loader section. Still, I'd like to dump the SMS/MMS files because I don't like dead weight on my BB. I can email to someone's text if needed. It's no different, just address it differently.

So in a nutshell, HERE IS MY ISSUE:
    I want to remove the files that enable SMS/MMS... but I don't know which files they are. Anybody here know?

03-30-09 05:00 AM
    I don't know if you really can remove those modules or not, since they are tied in with phone services and not data services.

Have you removed VAD (voice dialing) yet? That will clear up a lot of memory if you don't use it. Have you gone through the steps for freeing up memory listed in the Tips section?
    03-30-09 08:09 AM
    I have never heard of anyone eaanting to do this, and am not sure you can do that. I would try to do it on the dm, try and see if you can re-install the os without the sms and mms option. But not sure.

03-30-09 08:26 AM
    I should have been more clear! I know you're trying to be helpful but .... if I'm removing files I'm not a complete newb.
    We're way past the basic "how to increase BB's file free memory" class and in to the advanced "we need more memory cause something ate it up with the new OS".
    Though the culprit that I've suspected for a week now, Docs2Go, was it because when completely deleted it freed up more on my handheld than what it was showing in the app loader section. Still, I'd like to dump the SMS/MMS files because I don't like dead weight on my BB. I can email to someone's text if needed. It's no different, just address it differently.

So in a nutshell, HERE IS MY ISSUE:
    I want to remove the files that enable SMS/MMS... but I don't know which files they are. Anybody here know?

The short of it is, you can't. At least not if you still enjoy calling people. SMS/MMS (as was stated before) use the same services as calling people. You won't be able to ditch them. At least not without diving through the operating systems code and risking an extremely unstable OS. Even doing that doesn't guarantee success.

Take the advice given, you'll have enough memory to last you. If you're not a "complete newb" you should be able to go through the parts of the advanced memory cleaning.
    03-30-09 08:55 AM
    I haven't heard of anyone wanting to do this either, and I'm not real sure how much memory you would save, anyways...

Although I can't guarantee it (don't remember, hopefully someone can verify, Storm does it but I haven't played with my Curve for a while) - you should be able to turn your firewall on to block incoming SMS and MMS messages, therefore saving the memory that would theoretically be used when you receive a message...
    03-30-09 08:59 AM
    bfoster,

try this link (may not show up as I don't have enough posts)

crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-free-memory-your-blackberry-smartphone

I tried and was successful in deleting some apps from my BB (Storm).

Part of the 101 Tut

Remove Unused Apps: You can also remove any unused apps such as Tasks, Memo, BlackBerry Messenger etc. to free up space. All of the standard apps can be removed from the Application Loader in the Desktop Manger.
    Last edited by Howling; 03-30-09 at 09:23 AM.
    03-30-09 09:11 AM
    LOL... thanks all. Like I've said, been through all the "free up memory" steps (yes, played with it many times and even went back to the threads recently to make sure I hadn't missed anything) and of course I know to close my apps, clear my caches I don't have excess messages (8 emails at the moment).

I've got SMS/MMS blocked so receiving unwanted ones are not an issue, carrying around unwanted programs are. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.... thought maybe there was someone else who had thought of this too {shrug} just wanted to cut ALL the fat off my BB.
    Last edited by bfoster; 03-30-09 at 09:36 AM.
    03-30-09 09:28 AM
    I don't know if you really can remove those modules or not, since they are tied in with phone services and not data services.

Have you removed VAD (voice dialing) yet? That will clear up a lot of memory if you don't use it. Have you gone through the steps for freeing up memory listed in the Tips section?
    Yes, VAD is long gone... and yes, went back through the memory tips section yesterday, again.

The short of it is, you can't. At least not if you still enjoy calling people. SMS/MMS (as was stated before) use the same services as calling people. You won't be able to ditch them. At least not without diving through the operating systems code and risking an extremely unstable OS. Even doing that doesn't guarantee success.

Take the advice given, you'll have enough memory to last you. If you're not a "complete newb" you should be able to go through the parts of the advanced memory cleaning.
    Here was my mindset on this... when you send e-mail to text, doesn't it send the same as text to text? I use this now and then, and the person on the other end doesn't even notice a difference... I just address it differently.

As for the advanced memory cleaning, already did....
    Last edited by bfoster; 03-30-09 at 09:46 AM.
    03-30-09 09:39 AM
    Sorry we couldn't be of more help!
    03-30-09 09:40 AM
    Here was my mindset on this... when you send e-mail to text, doesn't it send the same as text to text? I use this now and then, and the person on the other end doesn't even notice a difference... I just address it differently.

As for the advanced memory cleaning, already did....
    How much file free do you have, what apps do you have that you don't use?

As far as email to text, yes it does send differently than just standard text. When you text someone it goes through sprint (for you) and then to the recipients service provider, when you send an email as a text you are using data (RIMs servers) to get the message through. This won't look any different to your recipient, but some phones will NOT be able to reply to it.

I don't understand still why you want to delete these applications. The shells might free you up maybe 5kb at the risk of phone calls, email (since on the BB they're tied together in inboxes [even if you make the inboxes separate]) and possible other risks. It really seems doubtful to me that you would see any gain to make up for your efforts. Sorry, it really isn't going to work out for you.

You really can't consider the SMS and MMS as "fat" on the phone. Its too tied into things you do use for it to be more than just like say, your arm in comparison. It could be possible to accomplish what you need without it, but chances are you'd rather not.
    03-30-09 10:41 AM
    With texting blocked, no one could text me even if I texted them so it seemed a good place to look for another spot to cut more files out.

With the new bulky OS I was down to under 7mb after a restart and it would drop to 3mb quickly... definitely not acceptable.
    No sweat now have a very comfortable 20mb with ALL 'needs' installed and about 15 with every 'want' installed as well. It was a bit unconventional but needed to do a wipe anyway and figured it couldn't hurt to try and play around with the install I like to experiment so I'm happy ! That's the most free memory I've seen since being a crackberry addict LOL!
    Turned out better than the 'official upgrade'

03-31-09 10:55 PM
    There are two files in the java folder, one for mms and one for sms

I removed both one at a time and let DM remove them from the
    phone. You DO NOT want to do this. Your device will go haywire
    until giving you an Error 205. Not fun
    03-31-09 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD