I have the 2G iPhone jailbroken and unlocked on Tmobile and have loved the phone but I feel as though it may be time for a change. I will be working in a Big 4 accounting firm when I graduate this year and I'm debating on going with a phone proposed more for business purpose.

I have been on Tmobile for about 3 years and I cannot complain about the service I have received for the money. 650 minutes, unlimited N&W, unlimited text, data, mms for $78 a month.

The only complain I have (I don't know if this would be the iPhone or the service?) is that sometimes my text messages take forever to receive or send. Example of this is say I send a text message to someone and then they receive it about 10 minutes after I send it. It happens the same as if I receive the text too. Someone sends me a text and I don't receive it until a while later. I am guessing this is a problem with the Tmobile service and not the phone?

I text more than I talk on the phone and would just like the best overall phone and service. What are also some pros that BB's give. I heard there is GPS? Tethering? etc.
    11-23-08 02:02 PM
    There is gps, tethering, and more features and apps than you will probably ever need. I love my curve but I would shop around and try to get my hands on as many different ones as I could. I'd love to have the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 02:15 PM
    Your best option would be to go to a Tmobile store and tell the employees you want to buy a blackberry but you don't want to play with the dummy phones they keep in the front. Tell them you would really like to purchase a phone but only if you can mess around with a real BB so you can make your decision.

It's all personal preference and you'll eventually find one you will enjoy and has all the needs you're looking for?

Don't need a camera or a 3mm head phone jack? go with the 88xx series. Want a more personal/business phone? 83xx series. It's all what you want more then anything else.

Best bet...Go play around with some BB's in person haha. Good luck on the search!
    11-23-08 02:56 PM
    I am open with switching services too. I am out of contract with Tmobile and if this texting problem that I described above is based on the service, then I may want to switch to a different service because it is quite annoying not knowing if you're text are getting through to your sender.
    11-23-08 03:22 PM
    Yes it sounds like a BB is right up your alley. The only question now is which one? They all do the same, which is far more than another other cell, so the only question will be, which one? (Regarding the iPhone....I think that has the best internet only, but BB has that PLUS everything else)
    You just have to decide based on technology and your pcoketbook.
    The STORM is the newest, 3G, touch and everything. ZVW only
    The BOLD from AT&T is everything the Storm is, including 3G but minus the touch screen. The CURVE is awesome but not 3G, it is EDGE but both VZW and AT&T feature it. The PEARL is nice if you want a pocket like cell, but with Blackberry features. The only downfall with that is that it is suretype NOT a full qwerty board typing area. I hope some or any of this helps. Cheers
    11-23-08 04:29 PM
    I know that the two latest BB's are the Storm and Bold. Storm has had some horrible reviews and most users seem to be disappointed with the phone. When looking at Bold reviews they seem to be great and all users who had the iPhone said they love the Bold and was worth the switch.

For Verizon, it is $70 for 450 minutes unlimited data and unlimited texting. The only worry is those are not roll over minutes so I would really have to watch and keep track of how many minutes I've been using. Or I could step up to the 900 minutes plan for $90 but I really do not need 900 minutes, I don't even come close to the 650 minutes I have with Tmobile right now.

For AT&T it's $39.99 for 450 minutes but it's roll over minutes. For the first month I can really make sure I don't use anything close to that so say I use 300 minutes, then next month I'll have 600 minutes? and it will increase from there because again I text a lot more than I talk. Like for this month I have used only 50 minutes but used over 3000 texts. Then I have to add the BlackBerry Personal plan correct for unlimited data? That's $30. Then unlimited text is another $20. So total bill would be $90 a month which is about $12 extra month from my Tmobile service.

So I have multiple choices, phone and which service. Which has a better 3G coverage (I am in Silicon Valley) and which would you suggest going to.
    11-23-08 05:13 PM
    So I have multiple choices, phone and which service. Which has a better 3G coverage (I am in Silicon Valley) and which would you suggest going to.
    This one is going to require some research on your part. First step is to drop
    by each carrier you are thinking about and get a coverage map, or check
    them out on their websites.
    11-23-08 05:31 PM
    Yea checked their websites out and 3G signal for both is strong all around my area which isn't a surprise.

Just need to know if there are any advantages of having one over the other.
    11-23-08 05:34 PM
    I just got back from the AT&T Store and Verizon store and here are my thoughts about the service/phone.

First I went to AT&T and checked out the Bold. I liked the look and size of the phone but it was pretty hard to navigate (web wise too) with just the trackball. Coming from the iPhone it was pretty hard using the trackball, but perhaps I am just not used to it anymore as before I had a SideKickII before the iPhone and I never complained.

Keyboard wise, it was hard for me to get used to type on it. I felt like my fingers were pushing multiple keys at once. With practice I am sure I can get as fast as I did with my SideKickII and iPhone. When I would send text messages, the Bold seemed to be extremely slow. I would send a text to my iPhone from the Bold and it'd be about a minute or so later the iPhone would receive it. I'd reply and the Bold would get the message just as it is sent so it was fast on receiving messages. We tested it out on my friends phone too. He is on Verizon and sent the bold a text, got it right away, I replied to him and again took a minute or two for him to receive. Overall I liked the Bold from playing with it.

Next I went to Verizon and played with the Storm. The screen was actually not as bad as everyone was talking about. Typing on the Storm was easy, I just had to get used to actually pressing down unlike he iPhone. (funny after I went back to my iPhone I felt myself actually pressing down on the screen) The OS was extremely slow in some situations which I am hoping will be an issue fixed with firmware updates. We did the texting test again. I sent one from the Storm to my iPhone and my iPhone received it immediately. I replied and the Storm received immediately. As I text more than talk, this is something important to me. I talked to him about the plan and he's telling me that it's $90 for 450 minutes with unlimited text and data? When I go to Verizon's website though and go to their Nationwide Connect plan which says is unlimited text and data with 450 minutes is $69.99. For 900 minutes, it's $89.99. Where is he getting $90 for 450 minutes and unlimited text and data? Does Verizon have "specific" BB plans like AT&T has?

Overall I actually like the Storm more than the Bold due to it's ease of Navigating and selecting things. But again, coming from an iPhone it's something I'm used to and may take time adjusting if I were to go to the Bold. Typing was easier on the Storm for me. The Bold OS processed faster than the Storm which may start getting annoying if the Storm slows down more, but I can only see a release in the future improving speeds.

EDIT: Quick note, 3G speeds on Verizon seemed a lot faster than AT&T but I didn't spend much time comparing here.
    11-25-08 06:26 PM
    I'd probably go for the Bold since you'll be using it mostly for business. The Bold is a business powerhouse. Plus I trust the Bold's OS more than the Storm and I'm biased because I love BB physical keyboards. This all coming from a Curve user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 07:51 PM
    If you are txting you will probably find you WILL become faster with the Bold/Curve over the Storm/iPhone, especially as you learn the keyboard, I can send off an e-mail while in a meeting on my curve barely looking at the screen so no one is the wiser that I am not paying attention, OR I can be taking notes, on it again while looking forward or at whom ever is talking, this is something I just could not master on a touch screen ( Audiovox Thera, UTstarcom 6700, HTC touch ). IF Bell Canada had the Bold I would have upgraded in a heart beat, I have a killer Bell Service plan so Rogers could not touch it, I have to sit and wait to get the Storm, and it might be a longer sit because of Christmas time launch date, will make it hard to justify, but I love my Curve.
    11-25-08 09:10 PM
    I have to agree that when using both the Bold and the Storm I feel as though I can become just as fast as I was with the SideKickII but again, I feel as though I type as well as I do with the iPhone now as 97% of the time, if you miss one or two letters it already knows what you're trying to say. I cannot type without looking at the screen though, something I could do with buttons

The reason why I liked the Storm was how easy it is the use and navigate with the touch screen. I felt lost trying to use the Bold using the trackball. As far as texting and typing, I am pretty sure if I had the same practice I'd be able to be as fast with the Storm (although I feel it did limit me due to the screen having to "pop" back up and it didn't do it fast enough)
    11-26-08 02:27 AM
    I have the 2G iPhone jailbroken and unlocked on Tmobile and have loved the phone but I feel as though it may be time for a change. I will be working in a Big 4 accounting firm when I graduate this year and I'm debating on going with a phone proposed more for business purpose.

I have been on Tmobile for about 3 years and I cannot complain about the service I have received for the money. 650 minutes, unlimited N&W, unlimited text, data, mms for $78 a month.

The only complain I have (I don't know if this would be the iPhone or the service?) is that sometimes my text messages take forever to receive or send. Example of this is say I send a text message to someone and then they receive it about 10 minutes after I send it. It happens the same as if I receive the text too. Someone sends me a text and I don't receive it until a while later. I am guessing this is a problem with the Tmobile service and not the phone?

I text more than I talk on the phone and would just like the best overall phone and service. What are also some pros that BB's give. I heard there is GPS? Tethering? etc.
    I like the 8830.
    11-26-08 08:58 AM
    The Curve 8320 is the best...Full Qwerty Keyboard...
    11-27-08 12:36 AM
    well it does come down to personal preference but I will tell you right now I truly do believe that verizon still has the best coverage for data and voice.

not saying at&t is terrible but I currently have both and the verizon one really kicks but on speeds for sure...

However even if you decide to go to verizon you have options... you could grab a curve which is still a very nice phone there is niagra coming up not sure exact release as noone really knows yet but it seems to be a updated version of the curve ((could be called the javelin, I can't remember all the dang names).

Like i said though I currently love my storm

ohh one more thing I think I heard somewhere that verizon may get the bold later down the road maybe mid next year.. not guarenteed though.
    11-27-08 01:40 AM
    The 8320 is a great but does not hold a candle to either the Bold
    or the Storm. Neither does my 8310.

Were I the OP I'd go with the Bold, but I am keyboard person and
    can't imagine doing what I do on a touchscreen. This is tough because
    we are all going to tell you our personal preferences. You need to decide
    what is important to you and then roll with it.
    11-27-08 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD