08-19-14 03:23 AM
42 12
tools
    I've been on an iPhone 5s since winter last year. I'm starting to get sick of it. I do love a lot of things about it, and many of these are the main reasons why I switched from a Z10 in the first place. But I find the main reason for having a smart phone (organization) is just not very efficient on this device. And I would also like a larger screen as I find myself squinting a lot.

I know you can now port over android apps easier than you could before. And I do use quite a few apps I doubt have made it to BBW since I left. These include:

Flickr
    Instagram
    Tapatalk (was in the store and is now gone I'm told)
    Photoshop express
    And I play Simpsons tapped out a lot

I'm sure most of these can be ported easily?

I'm also in need of a good mileage tracking app as I use my car for work and want to write stuff off on my taxes

Looking at Z30
    08-11-14 01:38 PM
    I am pretty sure your top 4 is achievable

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    08-11-14 01:47 PM
    We can now run Android Apps without converting, keys or Sideloading (porting). Amazon App store is "official" now so you can download Apps directly from there - so it's like a 2nd App Store. Then we are using an app called SNAP (not official) that allows us to access Google Play and all of the Android Apps there - not fully integrated, but it is much better than what we had - so it's like a 3rd App Store. Most any Android "store" can be downloaded and installed.

Things are MUCH better than they were a year ago.... but there are still issue with incompatibility with API, Database issue, in app purchases, apps that use Google Services..... Just depends on what you need and what you can "put up with".
    08-11-14 01:55 PM
    I agree with the above. Things are much better than a year ago but not perfect (nothing is). I would suggest giving it a try.
    08-11-14 03:04 PM
    Everything's possible on BB10 and the possibility for a perfected everything grows day by day.
    08-11-14 03:22 PM
    I'd say go for the Z30 with 10.3 "around" the corner. You will have access to amazon app store and the overall new OS looks and feels amazing. Tried it on the Passport for a few hours and it is VERY nice.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 04:16 PM
    I'd say go for the Z30 with 10.3 "around" the corner. You will have access to amazon app store and the overall new OS looks and feels amazing. Tried it on the Passport for a few hours and it is VERY nice.

Posted via CB10
    Do not go for the Z30 if your coming from the iPhone. If your coming from a Samung Galaxy yes. But an iPhone you'll want a Z10.
    08-11-14 04:27 PM
    Is there a reason you need to have everything you want in a single device? Why not get the phone you really want and supplement it with a secondary device?

I recently came to the realization that there is not a single smartphone in existence that can do everything I want.

So I'm currently using the ultimate communication tool as my smartphone: the BlackBerry Bold 9930 (9900 series). I supplement it with an iPod Touch so I can have access to the great app and media content of the Apple/iOS ecosystem.

This arrangement has been working out really well for me, thus far.
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    08-11-14 05:23 PM
    Is there a reason you need to have everything you want in a single device? Why not get the phone you really want and supplement it with a secondary device?

I recently came to the realization that there is not a single smartphone in existence that can do everything I want.

So I'm currently using the ultimate communication tool as my smartphone: the BlackBerry Bold 9930 (9900 series). I supplement it with an iPod Touch so I can have access to the great app and media content of the Apple/iOS ecosystem.

This arrangement has been working out really well for me, thus far.
    That's a great point. Currently using that outlook with BlackBerry for WWAN and Apple's iDevices for WLAN.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    08-11-14 05:25 PM
    We can now run Android Apps without converting, keys or Sideloading (porting). Amazon App store is "official" now so you can download Apps directly from there - so it's like a 2nd App Store. Then we are using an app called SNAP (not official) that allows us to access Google Play and all of the Android Apps there - not fully integrated, but it is much better than what we had - so it's like a 3rd App Store. Most any Android "store" can be downloaded and installed.

Things are MUCH better than they were a year ago.... but there are still issue with incompatibility with API, Database issue, in app purchases, apps that use Google Services..... Just depends on what you need and what you can "put up with".
    It's still officially called sideloading

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:28 PM
    Do not go for the Z30 if your coming from the iPhone. If your coming from a Samung Galaxy yes. But an iPhone you'll want a Z10.
    This makes no sense since the OP clearly said a bigger screen is desired, had the Z10 previously, and said is interested in the Z30.
    08-11-14 05:33 PM
    This makes no sense since the OP clearly said a bigger screen is desired, had the Z10 previously, and said is interested in the Z30.
    Haha he might as well suggest getting the q10 for its "extremely huge display". Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:34 PM
    Haha he might as well suggest getting the q10 for its "extremely huge display". Lol

Posted via CB10
    I think it was a helpful suggestion.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    08-11-14 05:41 PM
    If the OP found them self squinting at the Z10 screen. Great ready to press your eyeballs right up against the Z30's since it's so darn dull.
    08-11-14 05:55 PM
    If the OP found them self squinting at the Z10 screen. Great ready to press your eyeballs right up against the Z30's since it's so darn dull.
    Heinz, I agree with most of what you say but the Z30 screen is not dull. I have mine set to less than half brightness and it is perfect for me. The screen looks fine.
    08-11-14 10:29 PM
    Heinz, I agree with most of what you say but the Z30 screen is not dull. I have mine set to less than half brightness and it is perfect for me. The screen looks fine.
    Thanks Z50. Appreciate your comments too. It maybe perfect for you but BlackBerry cannot survive on just your sale.

The BB10 IPS LCD devices are outselling the AMOLED's by a factor of 3 2 1. All flagship smartphones (iPhone, Nexus 5, HTC One M8, LG G3) with the exception of Samsung sport an LCD display.

If BlackBerry takes a page from the company that makes its AMOLED displays (Samsung). That being to give the user the ability to disable the asinine ambient light sensor. In turn freeing the brightness levels. Well then I might reconsider.

It still doesn't change the fact that the market has spoken overwhelming in favor of LCD displays.

I know your user name is Z50. I willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if and when that device comes out it will be LCD.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-11-14 11:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    IT IS HUGE!! In comparison with curve and a bit bigger than Bold!!!
    LOL

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-12-14 02:41 AM
    Everything in your list is possible! And there is an instagram client Igrann, which is amazing and is instagram! There are also a couple of Flickr clients! The photo shop app can be downloaded fro the amazon appstore and we have android 4.3 runtime! The same can be applied for sins, although I have tested only the photo shop and not sims

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 03:14 AM
    I have the z30 and it's an amazing device. The problem with LCD is it kills battery. What good is a dead device and I see it all the time. I had the z10 and the z30 is a major upgrade. I wouldn't go back. As for sales ratio....well I can walk into Rogers and come out with a z10 in 15 minutes. I have to order the z30.....so screen type may not be the only factor.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 06:08 AM
    Thanks. There is a lot of info in this thread. I'm going to buy a used z10 off kijiji today for dirt cheap and try the new updates and see how it works for me. If there is success then I'll open my wallet on a Z30. A larger screen really is my biggest reason for wanting to go back. That and the keyboard was 10 times better.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    08-12-14 07:13 AM
    I have the z30 and it's an amazing device. The problem with LCD is it kills battery. What good is a dead device and I see it all the time. I had the z10 and the z30 is a major upgrade. I wouldn't go back. As for sales ratio....well I can walk into Rogers and come out with a z10 in 15 minutes. I have to order the z30.....so screen type may not be the only factor.

Posted via CB10
    Battery bundle. Cheap, lightweight and easy to use. Can use it to charge other phones too. I love the LCD display on the Z10 (as well as the size) and the trade off is worth it for me. Had the Q10 and what a difference with the display. That being said, I hope we always have options.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    08-12-14 07:28 AM
    Thanks. There is a lot of info in this thread. I'm going to buy a used z10 off kijiji today for dirt cheap and try the new updates and see how it works for me. If there is success then I'll open my wallet on a Z30. A larger screen really is my biggest reason for wanting to go back. That and the keyboard was 10 times better.
    Check out the price difference to go straight for a Z30 while you're at it. If a larger screen is a top reason for coming back... jump to the Z30 and you won't regret it.

Big Screen
    Big Battery
    Big Sound

The extra screen size makes that keyboard you love, even better... the extra width is great over the Z10 for typing.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 07:46 AM
    Check out the price difference to go straight for a Z30 while you're at it. If a larger screen is a top reason for coming back... jump to the Z30 and you won't regret it.

Big Screen
    Big Battery
    Big Sound

The extra screen size makes that keyboard you love, even better... the extra width is great over the Z10 for typing.

Posted via CB10
    No 30's on the local kijiji. And I'm getting a z10 for $100
    08-12-14 07:47 AM
    Somehow, I am always in favor of running native apps rather than ported. This is the reason I jumped backed to my iPhone 5 from Z10 and I am pretty much content with it.
    08-12-14 07:58 AM
    Thanks Z50. Appreciate your comments too. It maybe perfect for you but BlackBerry cannot survive on just your sale.

The BB10 IPS LCD devices are outselling the AMOLED's by a factor of 3 2 1. All flagship smartphones (iPhone, Nexus 5, HTC One M8, LG G3) with the exception of Samsung sport an LCD display.

If BlackBerry takes a page from the company that makes its AMOLED displays (Samsung). That being to give the user the ability to disable the asinine ambient light sensor. In turn freeing the brightness levels. Well then I might reconsider.

It still doesn't change the fact that the market has spoken overwhelming in favor of LCD displays.

I know your user name is Z50. I willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if and when that device comes out it will be LCD.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Fair enough. I personally will take the trade off for better battery life. I think you are right too. Most people seem to favor LCD so the Z50 will probably have one.
    08-12-14 09:46 AM
42 12