Hi guys, I've probably posted in wrong place, but this looks like the most active part of the forum. I want to buy a Blackberry 9900 on a �30 a month contract, the only thing that is putting me off is the current situation of RIM. If they had no problems financially I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. However since I will be spending a lot of money I am slightly concerned.

I just have a few questions in relation to RIM, it is more than likely that they will survive at least 6 months, (as they have the BB10 in Jan/Feb), but do you think they will continue to last for a long time?

What will happen to the operating software and BBM if things were to happen to RIM?

Would it be more than likely that someone buys them out in a worst case scenario?

I know these questions aren't the best and obviously no-one can predict the future, but I'm just looking for some answers from people who have more knowledge about what's going on with RIM.
    07-19-12 10:07 AM
    RIM will be just fine. They still add subs every quarter. They will come back strong. Buy the 9900 its a great phone
    07-19-12 10:11 AM
    If RIM were to go down, it will probably be at a point where your contract can be renewed with a new phone any ways. Just enjoy the phone for now. RIM still has many quarters ahead of it, and many more depending on how well BB10 is received.
    07-19-12 10:53 AM
    If RIM were to go down, it will probably be at a point where your contract can be renewed with a new phone any ways. Just enjoy the phone for now. RIM still has many quarters ahead of it, and many more depending on how well BB10 is received.
    Thanks for the reply, you think they've got at least 2 years then, as that is how long the contract will be, I really hope they do well, it's a shame to see people leave them just over a few features.
    07-19-12 10:57 AM
    The 99XX might be EOL'd by now and if you're so worried about the life of the phone then just wait till BB10 comes out. I'm sure OS 7 will be supported for a year or so to come. Get a used phone instead of buying a new contract for so many years.

And to answer your questions regarding RIMs future, nobody knows except the owners themselves and time will tell. I'm sure they will be just fine and the media makes everything worse.
    07-19-12 10:58 AM
    Wait for release of BB10, current BB phones will NOT support the new BB10 OS.
    07-19-12 10:59 AM
    BB Bold 9900 was released around the same time as the Iphone 4S so it's obviously still a good buy at this point. The others have pointed out that it's a really great phone, and you probably already think so. Get it enjoy it for the remaining time before BB10 comes out, at which you are primed for the new Qwerty models that will appear throughout the year.
    07-19-12 11:00 AM
    The 99XX might be EOL'd by now and if you're so worried about the life of the phone then just wait till BB10 comes out. I'm sure OS 7 will be supported for a year or so to come. Get a used phone instead of buying a new contract for so many years.

And to answer your questions regarding RIMs future, nobody knows except the owners themselves and time will tell. I'm sure they will be just fine and the media makes everything worse.
    I'm not worried about the life of the phone, I'm just hoping that RIM survive for many years, or at least the length of my contract.
    07-19-12 11:12 AM
    BB Bold 9900 was released around the same time as the Iphone 4S so it's obviously still a good buy at this point. The others have pointed out that it's a really great phone, and you probably already think so. Get it enjoy it for the remaining time before BB10 comes out, at which you are primed for the new Qwerty models that will appear throughout the year.
    Would it be better to buy a lower range BB perhaps or is the 9900 ok?
    07-19-12 11:13 AM
    Don't believe the bashing "hype". RIM, will still be around for a while to come, much to the analyst and trolls dismay.

Questioning that and possibly refraining from purchasing a BB product will only make your reservations come closer to reality. Self-fulfilling prophecy at work here.

So don't follow the haters, decide what works best for you, and enjoy your device.
    Last edited by Houshinto; 07-19-12 at 11:20 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-19-12 11:17 AM
    Would it be better to buy a lower range BB perhaps or is the 9900 ok?
    Definitely the 9900. It has the iconic Blackberry trappings and feel, and yet has specifications all around that indicate its position as a flagship for the Blackberry brand. Fast 1.2GHZ Qualcomm processor, 5 mp camera with HD video recording, fairly good battery life for the speed and quality of graphics, GREAT keyboard that will keep you typing for hours.

In other words, you can't go better than this in terms of speed, and the build's really pretty, especially the white version, which looks like something Tony Stark would carry
    07-19-12 11:23 AM
    Hi guys, I've probably posted in wrong place, but this looks like the most active part of the forum. I want to buy a Blackberry 9900 on a �30 a month contract, the only thing that is putting me off is the current situation of RIM. If they had no problems financially I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. However since I will be spending a lot of money I am slightly concerned.
    I understand your concern...there are a lot of gloom and doom articles and discussions. I am frankly not as optimistic as I was earlier in the year.

I just have a few questions in relation to RIM, it is more than likely that they will survive at least 6 months, (as they have the BB10 in Jan/Feb), but do you think they will continue to last for a long time?
    It is very likely that RIM will survive the next six months. As to lasting a long time, there is no way to know that at this point.

What will happen to the operating software and BBM if things were to happen to RIM?
    *IF* RIM folds, assets could be bought separately or as a whole platform, ecosystem, hardware, software whole. No one knows this at this point. It is highly speculative and anything that anyone says is pure speculation.

Would it be more than likely that someone buys them out in a worst case scenario?
    Impossible to say at this time. Any statements in any direction would be speculation.

I know these questions aren't the best and obviously no-one can predict the future, but I'm just looking for some answers from people who have more knowledge about what's going on with RIM.
    The only people who really know what is going on at RIM are the people at RIM. We often get posts about someone who knows someone on the inside. Letters are written and published from people who are supposedly on the inside. I take all these with a mountain of salt. Anyone who really knows what is going on inside RIM will most likely not be sharing it on an open forum...unless there is authorisation to do so or unless the person really wants to get exit papers in a hurry.

My suggestion, if I were in your shoes, is to go the CB Marketplace. There are folks there who are selling phones. Get a used BB to tide you over. Then you can be ready to get a BB10 device when they come out.

Personally, I'd buy a 9900 now and THEN buy a BB10 device.....but that's just me. I've got a serious tech addiction.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-19-12 11:26 AM
    RIM will be around for a long time, go ahead and buy the phone.
    07-19-12 11:27 AM
    I don't see why I would be afraid of RIM folding at this point, there are no shortages of alternatives out there.

Not the end of the world, for sure.

Just buy the phone you like and use it and love it, everything will come easy after that.
    07-19-12 11:32 AM
    You will be happy with it I highly recommend the phone. Even moreso if you dont have to sign a contract for it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    07-19-12 11:51 AM
    Is the Blackberry 9320 good? Although the comments are positive and RIM should hopefully be ok, I might just get a lower end phone, if it still does a good job.
    07-19-12 11:54 AM
    I'd go for a 9360. In a heartbeat.

Don't know about the 9320, never played with one.
    07-19-12 12:21 PM
    Is the Blackberry 9320 good? Although the comments are positive and RIM should hopefully be ok, I might just get a lower end phone, if it still does a good job.

If you don't care about performance then it will be fine for you. If you want a proper BlackBerry experience the Bold is the way to go or one of the Torch models.

07-19-12 01:33 PM
    If you don't care about performance then it will be fine for you. If you want a proper BlackBerry experience the Bold is the way to go or one of the Torch models.

Does it do a fairly good job, I'm interested in BBM and Twitter mainly and obviously it can text and call. So as long as it's fairly good I might consider this.
    07-19-12 01:38 PM
    I'd only go with the lower end curve line if I was waiting for the BB10 phones to drop.

I second Qbnkel recommendation for the 9360. For an low-end entry phone it's very good.

In Toronto alone you can find one for $180-$200 on craigslist.
    07-19-12 02:24 PM
    Does it do a fairly good job, I'm interested in BBM and Twitter mainly and obviously it can text and call. So as long as it's fairly good I might consider this.

For those purposes yes a Curve will be sufficient.

07-19-12 03:04 PM

Dont worry about RIM, they'll be around a while. They have way too much going for them in their current direction. I have one of those 'so called' lower end phones, a Curve 8530 and I love it. It might not be super fast on data but it certainly gets the job done on everything. I'm on Boost Mobile's BB Unlimited plan and it rocks. There is no contract to be mired into. I believe they are now offering the Curve 9310 for $100 brand new, with OS7 platform and a 3.2 mp camera. For $60 bucks a month you can rock that phone until BB 10 comes out. Thats about as cheap as you can get for a good BB experience.

Boost Mobile uses Sprints network, so if Sprint coverage is good in your area maybe you should give it a try
    07-19-12 03:46 PM
    Like some of the above have said I would go for the 9360 I have it and it is a very good device.
    07-19-12 04:10 PM
    if i was you i would look at getting a used 9900 on ebay for about 250 then you could get a sim only deal on any of the uk carriers and that would save you a bunch of cash therefore saving your upgrade for a bb10 phone in January.

07-19-12 04:23 PM
    Ok I'm gonna go lower end market for now, is there a big difference apart from the camera between the 9320 and 9360, the difference is �60 in the UK
    07-19-12 04:24 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD