A message from Skyfire: Android, Blackberry, and Beyond Android, Blackberry, and Beyond � Skyfire

A message directly from Skyfire themselves. In short Blackberry OS is lacking big time! I hope this inspires the developers over in the wonderful world of RIM to step their game up. Skyfire said that they are waiting until OS 6.0 comes out. Its interesting to me that they raved about Android being a superior device and made it a point of emphasis (twice) to say that BB's are not capable of becoming apart of Skyfire's lineup until RIM makes some changes. You can say what you want but for me this is a wake up call. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BLACKBERRIES. But if they're other products out there that can do better then I'm going to check it out (*cough* HTC Android for Sprint *cough*) I think this blog post sums up the year Blackberry is really having. Yes the financial earnings are outstanding but what are they "really" doing to advance their company? Swagger can only get you in the door but it takes a lot more to keep you on top... RIM has the swag now let's see them do a lot more to keep us wanting more. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by j1two; 04-07-10 at 04:30 PM.
    04-07-10 04:21 PM
    Well, this ruined my afternoon, I can tell you that.
    My thoughts? I love my 9700 and it does almost everything I want, except for the bad browser and Flash. I loved my big clunky winmo devices before I loved my Blackberry...so, I'm open to change.
    iPhone won't give me Flash. I don't like Android. I still have a year and a half in my contract, but I will bail if something catches my eye - I'll just buy it outright. I will wait for the webkit and make any decisions afterward. But I'm very disappointed right now.
    04-07-10 04:30 PM
    already posted

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/skyf...kberry-449299/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 04:30 PM
    already posted

Thanks, sorry didn't see it...
    04-07-10 04:32 PM
    already posted

it needs to be posted again and again and again. it cannot be posted too many times.
    04-07-10 05:17 PM
    it needs to be posted again and again and again. it cannot be posted too many times.
    No it doesn't. Not everyone cares about Skyfire.

04-07-10 05:21 PM
    No it doesn't. Not everyone cares about Skyfire.

jesus man it's way more than just skyfire!!

"Blackberry has said at that time they will introduce a webkit browser with server-side assist on html and text, developed based on their acquisition of Torch Mobile. We understand it will be a long way from able to handle native Flash 10.1 and similar rich media plug-ins, and we think we can build on that webkit engine and add cloud-based new features around it."

The "new" webkit still a year away will not handle flash!!!! God knows what else it won't be able to do if flash is STILL too much. Blackberries that have not even been built yet are already obsolete!
    04-07-10 05:24 PM
    Rumours and speculation need not he proliferated superfluously.

04-07-10 05:29 PM
    Rumours and speculation need not he proliferated superfluously.
    head in sand

whistling past the graveyard

and in case you hadn't noticed this is the rumor forum section, but then I guess you aren't very observant to begin with...
    Last edited by Marine One; 04-07-10 at 05:35 PM.
    04-07-10 05:33 PM
    I think there's a bit of misunderstanding here.

Skyfire says it can't create a browser within the JVM. That's not different than Android. webKit is native C++, no one is going to port it to Java.

RIM is integrating it into the BlackBerry OS, just like it is integrated into Android. Once that's done, it can be used by 3rd party developers.

I do agree that RIM is catching up on their SDK but the sky is not falling.
    04-07-10 05:35 PM
    That has nothing to do with what I said, but all right.

04-07-10 05:36 PM
    That has nothing to do with what I said
    well, that's just like, your opinion, man
    04-07-10 05:37 PM
    head in sand

whistling past the graveyard

and in case you hadn't noticed this is the rumor forum section, but then I guess you aren't very observant to begin with...
    Yes it is the rumours forum. Therefore, one thread is enough.

04-07-10 05:38 PM
    Yes it is the rumours forum. Therefore, one thread is enough.
    there would be no need for the threads if RIM would get their act together.
    04-07-10 05:41 PM
    Ok. They're building a new webkit browser. Does that help?

04-07-10 05:47 PM
    well, that's just like, your opinion, man

Are we gonna split hairs? Am I wrong?
    04-07-10 05:52 PM
    Are we gonna split hairs? Am I wrong?
    04-07-10 06:11 PM
    This thread should be closed just based on marine one taking the topic from legit to childish bickering.

04-08-10 07:06 AM
    The "new" webkit still a year away will not handle flash!!!!
    Do we care? I don't.

Flash is an old and inefficient technology best suited to large desktop screens and broadband data. It has a disgraceful reputation for security vulnerabilities and hacks - exactly NOT what BlackBerry users need.

If you think Flash is important on your mobile device then go buy a compatible technology. Don't buy something then expect the manufacturer to modify it to provide trivial functionality.
    04-08-10 07:21 AM
    Do we care? I don't.

Flash is an old and inefficient technology best suited to large desktop screens and broadband data. It has a disgraceful reputation for security vulnerabilities and hacks - exactly NOT what BlackBerry users need.

If you think Flash is important on your mobile device then go buy a compatible technology. Don't buy something then expect the manufacturer to modify it to provide trivial functionality.
    Oh christ, so you're going to start in with the flash sucks stuff now... like the Apple fanboys???

FLASH= CONTENT!

If you cannot understand that then there is no use. And I can promise you: many Blackberry users care.
    04-08-10 11:32 AM
    Oh christ, so you're going to start in with the flash sucks stuff now... like the Apple fanboys???

FLASH= CONTENT!

If you cannot understand that then there is no use. And I can promise you: many Blackberry users care.
    Flash is overrated their buddy. I can honestly live day to day and not use flash.... and it is big and bulky and doesn't have a valid place in the cell phone world.

04-08-10 12:33 PM
    Flash is overrated their buddy. I can honestly live day to day and not use flash.... and it is big and bulky and doesn't have a valid place in the cell phone world.

Agreed. I have a Mac. So, I do live without flash (yes you can use it but it is incredibly buggy).

Yes it would be nice for cellphones to support flash, but it really isn't that big of a deal. And when HTML 5 gets more attention, that really will be the game changer. It is not as bulky and does not have as many security flaws.

But people want flash now, so go for it. But don't cry when it takes forever to load and potential viruses apear on your smartphone, because this opens up an even bigger world for hackers.
    04-08-10 12:40 PM
    Agreed. I have a Mac. So, I do live without flash (yes you can use it but it is incredibly buggy).

Yes it would be nice for cellphones to support flash, but it really isn't that big of a deal. And when HTML 5 gets more attention, that really will be the game changer. It is not as bulky and does not have as many security flaws.

But people want flash now, so go for it. But don't cry when it takes forever to load and potential viruses apear on your smartphone, because this opens up an even bigger world for hackers.
    Keep in mind it is a battery hog to boot

04-08-10 12:56 PM
    iPhone is getting multitasking, sky is falling now.

I wonder what the fanboy comebacks will be now?

AVT you must have a really old Mac, my 2 year old intel iMac has yet to ever crash while running ANY flash content, and even while editing photos in Aperture it doesn't make my Mac croak.

04-08-10 02:23 PM

FLASH= CONTENT!

Lol, just last week, he/people were all upset that I was giving props to Apple/Steve for standing up and giving Adobe the finger and was wondering just how much power he has to push the industry into using HTML5 instead of Flash and how by the time the new BB browser comes out, it might not matter if it supports Flash or not. There's just no pleasing the BB crowd here. I like BB as well, but I don't put my head in the sand and pretend things aren't true about a platform and when I know there's a shortcoming or no capability at all to do something on BB I don't pretend that it's not needed. lol

I believe they call those people...

iPhone is getting multitasking, sky is falling now.

I wonder what the fanboy comebacks will be now?

AVT you must have a really old Mac, my 2 year old intel iMac has yet to ever crash while running ANY flash content, and even while editing photos in Aperture it doesn't make my Mac croak.

Multiple ActiveSync account suppor was a nice addition as well.
    04-08-10 02:48 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD