I see a lot of threads talking about upcoming Android blackberry devices and so on, but to me there is still one little question/issue to this :

What will happen to actual blackberry users?

Will we get an update with all the android goodies ( Google play services etc) or will we have to buy the latest AndroBerry smartphone to have access to it?

See to me the second statement isn't really normal.. why would I have to buy a brand new smartphone when my actual Z30 works flawlessly great? ( He is 6month old ) Couldn't I just be able to get an update that would allow me to have access to Google play services etc?

If you know anything, feel free to share!

Ps : I DON'T want an Android UI, just the Google play services. BlackBerry is sexy and no matter what people say, owning a blackberry will always make you stand out from the crowd.

*Ditch our blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jonathan-fays; 07-15-15 at 07:27 PM.
    lift likes this.
    07-15-15 06:41 PM
    I see a lot of threads talking about upcoming Android blackberry devices and so on, but to me there is still one little question/issue to this :

Will we get an update with all the android goodies ( Google play services etc) or will we have to buy the latest AndroBerry smartphone to have access to it?

See to me the second statement isn't really normal.. why would I have to buy a brand new smartphone when my actual Z30 works flawlessly great? ( He is 6month old ) Couldn't I just be able to get an update that would allow me to have access to Google play services etc?

Ps : I DON'T want an Android UI, just the Google play services. BlackBerry is sexy and no matter what people say, owning a blackberry will always make you stand out from the crowd.

*Ditch our blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Anything is possible. But in my opinion, it's not likely. If BlackBerry goes full Android, I think it's more likely that you could get an "update" that would remove the Android runtime all together, to make BB10 compliant with the OHA.
    BryanVilla likes this.
    07-15-15 07:40 PM

*Ditch our blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Why the need for an update? You said it yourself... Your Z30 works flawlessly great.

Posted via C5303
    jas1978 likes this.
    07-15-15 08:15 PM
    Anything is possible. But in my opinion, it's not likely. If BlackBerry goes full Android, I think it's more likely that you could get an "update" that would remove the Android runtime all together, to make BB10 compliant with the OHA.
    Apparently Niko from N4BB heard from a former BB employee that if BB were to offer a full android lineup that they would allow BB10 to also have full google play services. I believe that this could be true with Chen saying they had a plan for apps earlier in the year and the recent digitimes report stating that BB will be offering multiple Android devices later this year. We heard from N4BB that they are planning a low end prague and there could also be the high end Venice slider.
    07-15-15 09:07 PM
    The tl;dr on it all is there's a lot of rumors and very few facts. BlackBerry has no intent on announcing anything before they're ready so unless a massive leak happens, which likely won't given how locked down BlackBerry is these days, it's all a 'wait and see game'. You should probably just enjoy your device for what it is now. You didn't buy it with Google Services and you enjoy it, so if it gets added later on down the road...cool. If not, ahh well. It was never there to begin with. These rumors have got everyone going bat turd crazy and we're still a ways off from getting the full details.
    07-15-15 09:23 PM
    Yup. If you're looking for real answers, you won't find them in this forum. You'll just have to wait for official announcements from BlackBerry.
    07-15-15 10:36 PM
    If BlackBerry decides to android way then it will enter rat race which is going to kill it. BlackBerry has its distinguished build quality and by far the best mobile os.

Posted via CB10
    lift and liveonparadise like this.
    07-16-15 08:35 AM
    Just so you know BlackBerry is not even listed as member of the OHA. Until you see them as member all these rumors are just rumors
    extisis likes this.
    07-16-15 08:40 AM
    The tl;dr on it all is there's a lot of rumors and very few facts. BlackBerry has no intent on announcing anything before they're ready so unless a massive leak happens, which likely won't given how locked down BlackBerry is these days, it's all a 'wait and see game'. You should probably just enjoy your device for what it is now. You didn't buy it with Google Services and you enjoy it, so if it gets added later on down the road...cool. If not, ahh well. It was never there to begin with. These rumors have got everyone going bat turd crazy and we're still a ways off from getting the full details.
    so details are coming but who knows when?lol
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-16-15 08:48 AM
    Apparently Niko from N4BB heard from a former BB employee that if BB were to offer a full android lineup that they would allow BB10 to also have full google play services. I believe that this could be true with Chen saying they had a plan for apps earlier in the year and the recent digitimes report stating that BB will be offering multiple Android devices later this year. We heard from N4BB that they are planning a low end prague and there could also be the high end Venice slider.
    You might would like to believe that.... but I really doubt that they'd give BB10 full Google Services and also switch to Android.

Best option would be just to stop sales of BB10 and allow it to remain as is with it's Android Player intact. Without the Player... I think you would have a Class Action lawsuit on your hands.

Allowing upgrades from BB10 to Android... possible, but doubtful as that would most likely be a security concern for some enterprise customers.

But no one that is able to talk about it is talking..... so we are just all playing a guessing game. Is there something going on... YES. But it might just be a move to Android in the form of the BlackBerry Experience / Any Android device (Android 5.1+ ) with Android for Work / BES = a secure device, and BlackBerry continues on with their own hardware and OS.... for a while.

Have to say I've never know BlackBerry to meet the first software release date for anything, So saying you are going to launch the Slider the end of this year and it's suppose to be running Android with maybe a BlackBerry UI and some type of "Experience" app.... that would just be a rolll of the dice. I think the Slider will be running BB10... but then if next ER Chen say the Slider won't come until the 2nd Quarter of next year... you'll know it will be running Android.

That's if someone doesn't step in and buy the company and shut the whole hardware division down...

It's so fun trying to predict the future... you almost always get it wrong!
    07-16-15 09:05 AM
    Even though it's all rumor and speculation it certainly has people talking and watching! Gotta admit BlackBerry hasn't had this kind of outside interest in a while.

There will be big news coming in the next 6 months one way or another!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    07-16-15 10:34 AM
    Rumor has it that it was rumored by a guy famous for spreading rumors, that there was a rising rumor that on another rumored ridden rumor which was based totally on an unverifiable rumor from another rumor famed personality that this rumor is just a bad rumor.

Fact is BlackBerry has acquired alien tech and will be rolling out a device (soon) which would be all in one device, mobile, car, jet pack, you just think it and it transforms to make it a reality (don't confuse it with transformers, that's another rumor). You of course have to get the device registered, unlocked, tagged to your DNA, paired with your brain (if you have one) and download and install the apps... what a bummer!!!

I'm not going to buy that device... it will not have Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp, Clash of Clans, Snapchat, Vine, and all the top 50 apps I hardly use but which I want anyways, just so I can show off, fit in and feel acceptable!

:-)

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 10:58 AM
    As much as I want to hang on to my BlackBerry 10 device, if the company is moving to BlackBerry modified Android then I will to. I will never own an iPhone.

That all said the death of BB10 is highly speculative at this point. I love my Z30 and have no intention of changing phones or OS anytime soon.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    lift and ghostpedler like this.
    07-16-15 01:11 PM
    Just so you know BlackBerry is not even listed as member of the OHA. Until you see them as member all these rumors are just rumors
    So what.

The OHA was made up by Google in the first place. Google can make any other agreement with anyone else they wish outside of the OHA.

Not that they did, but just saying...

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 02:31 PM
    Even though it's all rumor and speculation it certainly has people talking and watching! Gotta admit BlackBerry hasn't had this kind of outside interest in a while.

There will be big news coming in the next 6 months one way or another!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    Pretty much every online news site and tech blogger have been reporting it as fact. Heck, one well known site even states not have bother buying a bb10 phone because they'll be switching to Android soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 05:35 PM
    "What will happen to actual blackberry users?"

who us? we'll still be here. still using our BlackBerries.
    07-16-15 09:33 PM
    BlackBerry has entered into a partnership with Google to secure Android phones, this is a fact. Most partnerships are mutually beneficial. Is it out of the realm of possibility that Google has allowed BlackBerry to run Google services on bb10? Wouldn't that also explain blackberries silence seeing as they currently have an agreement with Amazon? They may just be waiting for that agreement to end. Wouldn't it also make sense that since BlackBerry is currently working on securing androids for Google, that their development teams would have phones running Android software, and that to an outsider looking in that might look like evidence of full android running on a blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 11:09 PM
    BlackBerry has entered into a partnership with Google to secure Android phones, this is a fact. Most partnerships are mutually beneficial. Is it out of the realm of possibility that Google has allowed BlackBerry to run Google services on bb10? Wouldn't that also explain blackberries silence seeing as they currently have an agreement with Amazon? They may just be waiting for that agreement to end. Wouldn't it also make sense that since BlackBerry is currently working on securing androids for Google, that their development teams would have phones running Android software, and that to an outsider looking in that might look like evidence of full android running on a blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    Again, everyone needs to stop getting hung up on "possibility" and think more about probability... Anything is possible. But what is probable? Taking what we know about Google, the way Google handles OEMs running Android, BlackBerry and Google's respective bargaining positions, etc etc etc... What outcome would you wager a months salary on?
    07-17-15 01:16 AM
    What about the rumour that John Chen will soon become Larry Page? Won't that cause a security issue? Doesn't Larry have to give John permission to do this? If John becomes Larry, will he be better than Tim Cook? If John becomes Larry, what will happen to our phones? Interesting questions for all CrackBerrians to ponder...

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    07-17-15 02:03 AM
    Cheer up Bla1ze, You are getting hits anyways
    07-17-15 02:22 AM
    BlackBerry has entered into a partnership with Google to secure Android phones, this is a fact.
    under BES12. Not Android device OS per se.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-17-15 02:24 AM
    But no one that is able to talk about it is talking..... so we are just all playing a tireless guessing game.
    07-17-15 02:26 AM
    I understand how the OP feels, the uncertancy is crazy and these flames are fuelled by rumours. I look at my Q10 running latest OS and I'm more than happy, and got great set of native apps with all social networking I could want, I've also got snapchat (via casper) and other IM applications.

These are all just rumours, no official word on this subject at all. BB10 has been their project for about 3 years now, it's hard to fathom that they'd just end development at this stage. On the other hand BlackBerry 10.3 introduced the flat android looking UI so there's something big in the works but we don't actually know what.

On the subject of rumours, remember when agent juicy asserted that the first line of BB10 devices would go EOL (end of life) with 10.3, that didn't payout as stated and all it achieved was insecurity among crackberrians. Bottom line is that its a wait and see game folks

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Last edited by ZeBB45; 07-17-15 at 07:04 AM.
    07-17-15 04:29 AM
    The day Blackberry decides (unfortunately) to push full blown android integrated in BB10 UI via OTA or otherwise. (which push will not happen 99.9% owing to present enterprise commitments) There will be one hell of mad scramble of threads wanting to know how they can avoid the OTA if push comes to shove. Not to mention Thurask's repository of old autoloader will be raided like no tomorrow.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    07-17-15 05:03 AM
    There will be one hell of mad scramble of threads wanting to know how they can avoid the OTA if push comes to shove
    Settings/Software update/options/disable auto update.
    Done.
    07-17-15 06:19 AM
40 12