I guess this is how rumours get started, right? I've been reading lots of articles lately (like this G&M article ) that position the currently reality as the only way for BBRY to continue to "win" is by market expansion based solely on new hardware sales.

For the most part, this is true.

However, now that BB10 has launched two handsets and is rolling out globally (Q10, Z10 and a rumoured R10 to come), besides hardware sales, another plausible option for BBRY to increase market influence is through acquisitions. So let's change the conversation - for BBRY to keep winning, who should BBRY have in the company crosshairs? What would be best strategic moves for BBRY to make? Yes, the company has only a couple of billion in the bank to run the company, but for the most part it has no debt.

I mentioned Nokia for obvious reasons. Nokia, itself in a troubled scenario of declining market influence (even relevance) is obviously the "big" prize of patents, talent and presence in emerging markets should it be scooped up. It would be shocking to see BBRY make a move for them, incredibly expensive to do, but arguably a game changer.

What and who else, if added to the RIMpire, would help boost BB10's fortunes?
    05-10-13 10:45 AM
    Crazier things have happened.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:51 AM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:52 AM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely, a Nokia scenario is basically impossible. However, what about any kind of "acquisition" strategy?
    05-10-13 11:29 AM
    Or Microsoft could buy BlackBerry. Won't be good though. Nokia is already ruled by Bill anyways. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 11:46 AM
    From my perspective, I don't see why BlackBerry would need anything from Nokia, maybe their mapping services? You note their "patents, talent and presence in emerging markets" and maybe they're patents could help BlackBerry, but they already have enough staff and talent, and they're doing alright in emerging markets. If BlackBerry took over Nokia for free, sure it wouldn't hurt them(probably result in huge layoffs at Nokia), but I don't see anything they have being worth the price to BlackBerry.
    Last edited by jordandrews90; 05-10-13 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Correcting grammar.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    05-10-13 12:03 PM
    I can't see why BB would go after Nokia. My guess would be more that Microsoft might go after BB or Nokia...or both.

I could see MS wanting Blackberry's BES clientelle and even their qwerty hardware side, but they are also committed to WP8 so that's why I say maybe they'd go after both BB and Nokia. If they did that, they'd probably toast Blackberry's consumer side and their touchscreens. They might even turn all the hardware over to Nokia (with BB's qwerty tech) and figure out a way to work Office into BES.

That would give them a huge boost in the corporate market and could help WP8 as well.

I don't think it would be a very good deal for the Blackberry brand as it would probably end up just being swallowed into MS. They need BB's tech, patents, and corporate more than they need the BB name. They could even try this without buying Nokia..just keep a partnership with them and give them some of the hardware work.

BUT, any sale of BB still has to be approved by the Canadian gov't and hopefully they wouldn't let this go through. I'd like to see Blackberry stay it's own entity.

I think something will happen soon in regards to Nokia though as their shareholders are losing their patience...they want them to go to Android already as they just can't seem to make any profit with MS.
    05-10-13 12:35 PM
    I thought MS was taking them over?
    05-10-13 12:43 PM
    I thought MS was taking them over?
    Nokia? Not quite. Just a partnership that seems to benefit MS more than Nokia.
    05-10-13 12:51 PM
    I think they all need each other. Microsoft has the productivity business apps, blackberry has the best mobile Os, nokia has the hardware.

I say pool the patents, blackberry to continue updating the OS + bes, Microsoft to work on native business apps, nokia to build the hardware. They'll be #1 in 2 years.

I don't know how else nokia can make a dent in North American market.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and KarlosSpicyWienr like this.
    05-10-13 01:06 PM
    I think they all need each other. Microsoft has the productivity business apps, blackberry has the best mobile Os, nokia has the hardware.

I say pool the patents, blackberry to continue updating the OS + bes, Microsoft to work on native business apps, nokia to build the hardware. They'll be #1 in 2 years.

I don't know how else nokia can make a dent in North American market.

Posted via CB10
    Too bad that'll never happen.
    05-10-13 01:10 PM
    There might be some other opportunities for BBRY other than another cell phone company, which is just more of the same landing them not much better of a competitive position than they have now. Thinking through the 'mobile computing' or 'wallet replacement' or 'I am here' technology objectives would likely led to a more beneficial aquisition for BBRY. However given they are still deeply involved in a rebuilding of the company it will be a strategic partnership or merger that will fit best, but with who and for.
    CDLacey likes this.
    05-10-13 01:11 PM
    What do they have...
    Exzellent OS (BB10)
    Great software behind (Qnx)
    Server and Server Knowhow....

What they should do or try is something like going closer to the car market combine my Dodge or Ford with my other Qnx Systems like i put in a Route in to my Z10 and my car is taking over as soon i get into it.... Build a House Automation System based on something like a playbook and make it Open for other System devs like Alarm or my dryer etc...
    The Main Key is make it easy and Open for other devs and other brands in 5or6 years you can start to Take over everything with BB12
    05-10-13 01:11 PM
    No BB dont have the cash to buy nokia.BB dont have silly cash to bu out a the competitors.Even if BB had the money BB would more likely buy the patents and hardware division.BB dont do those kind of full take overs they usually gut out the core technology leave the rest.

It is sad seeing MS rape them(nokia) and trying to assimilate them.That Elop guy just looks like crook MS spy.
    05-10-13 01:52 PM
    They should buy HTC.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 01:54 PM
    Nokia windows are the worst phones on face of earth...what were these guys thinking designing ugly looking stupid lumina phones...Nokia is going down.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 02:49 PM
    Nokia windows are the worst phones on face of earth...what were these guys thinking designing ugly looking stupid lumina phones...Nokia is going down.

Posted via CB10
    it's called lumia. And also how are lumia phones ugly?. My friend has one and its very high quality. Even the 521 is very good for only less than $150. And also don't judge of you haven't tried it. Makes you look. Re.****.ed
    rnhld and Etios like this.
    05-10-13 04:07 PM
    I personally think MSFT has plans on fumbling the ball until Nokia is near bankrupt, then making a bid for them. This makes them strong in the patents, manufacturing and distribution. Well played Mr Softy, well played!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 05:45 AM
    Nokia's market cap is 1.5X bigger than BBRY.
    Etios likes this.
    05-11-13 06:08 AM
    what about a licensing deal. bb10 on lumia hardware
    05-11-13 07:13 AM
    what about a licensing deal. bb10 on lumia hardware
    That could be a future possibility for BlackBerry. Mr Heinz did not rule out licensing BlackBerry 10 to other hardware manufacturers when he was asked.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    05-11-13 07:37 AM
    They should buy Porsche Designs. Already have TAT to improve the UI design and now they get someone to improve the phone design.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 10:40 AM
    Nokia's market cap is 1.5X bigger than BBRY.
    Not for long.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 11:20 AM
    I like the road Blackberry is taking(QNX, M2M, Mobile Computing) and i think Nokia needs to embrace the fact that they are communications experts as well and have patent revenue of over $1B annually. They can live off of this an start to innovate again in a new direction with BlackBerry.

Consumers are cleary not interested in Windows Phone and there's no money to be made selling $150 phones. This was evident even a few years ago and there does not seem to be anything in the MSFT pipeline that will make Windows Phone popular any time soon. RIM and Nokia would make an excellent team in making all devices and machines smart. Unfortunately they need to dump Elop and Ballmer and their attempts mobile attempts. These guys should be fired immediately as they are destroying good companies.

Some suggestions: Nokia can focus on Industrial/Appliance M2M, Blackberry can focus on Automotive and Medical... Both will win going down that road while Google, Microsoft and Apple will be fighting for marketshare of profitless $150 phones.
    05-11-13 12:02 PM
    Could they?? Yes
    Will they??? No
    05-11-13 10:09 PM
35 12