I know the tour comes with Blackberry maps - does that give you turn by turn directions? If no is there other software that you can put on your VZW Tour to do that like VZW Navigator? Will the Tour be able to use other turn by turn software besides VZW Navigator? Will Google Maps work on the phone?
    06-30-09 10:36 AM
    you're tryin not to want to add vzw navi to your monthly bill eh??? i understand, even tho its not bad, i had it when i had the LG Voyager for a month....it did the job real well....
    06-30-09 11:06 AM
    I don't have a BB but I would suggest Nav4All or Google Maps. Though wait for someone to comment with a bit more experience before you pick one.
    06-30-09 11:11 AM
    are any of those free? or one time prices?
    06-30-09 12:34 PM
    im not sure on most of the prices but when i get my tour one of the first things i will do is shell out $99 and buy the Garmin gps software for it. its a bit pricey but ive used the garmin car units before and the software has been great.
    06-30-09 12:45 PM
    google maps should work fine. I wouldn't really say it's turn by turn unless you mean just directions
    06-30-09 12:51 PM
    How accurate will Google Maps be? Will it get you within 3m like the GSM versions, or will it use cell tower triangulation and be closer to 1700m?
    06-30-09 12:54 PM
    How accurate will Google Maps be? Will it get you within 3m like the GSM versions, or will it use cell tower triangulation and be closer to 1700m?
    On devices with GPS (Storm, Tour, etc) Google Maps is very accurate to within 3m as well.
    06-30-09 12:58 PM
    Thanks. Glad to hear it.
    06-30-09 01:02 PM
    garmin makes one that costs 99 bucks I am sure they will make it compatible with the tour
    06-30-09 03:05 PM
    On devices with GPS (Storm, Tour, etc) Google Maps is very accurate to within 3m as well.
    Does that mean that Latitude will work properly on the Tour?
    06-30-09 03:31 PM
    Does that mean that Latitude will work properly on the Tour?
    Latitude works fine on the Storm so I would imagine so since the GPS is unlocked on the Tour as well.
    06-30-09 04:20 PM
    Only the newer blackberries is it that accurate on Google Maps. On the Curve, Pearl, 8830, etc, you don't have the accuracy that you would on the newer devices. Not sure about the pearl flip.
    06-30-09 05:05 PM
    google maps should work fine. I wouldn't really say it's turn by turn unless you mean just directions
    I was under the impression that Google maps offered free turn by turn directions . My enV gives me auto-completion, local search, favorites, and recent history, and audible turn by turn directions and speaks the names of the roads. For example, "Turn right in 1.2 miles onto Franklin Ave."

I was hoping there was a free BB app that did similar.
    06-30-09 05:13 PM
    Only the newer blackberries is it that accurate on Google Maps. On the Curve, Pearl, 8830, etc, you don't have the accuracy that you would on the newer devices. Not sure about the pearl flip.

Hmmm I think its because the Pearl and Curve dont have a true open GPS. Im not 100% on that but I think thats the case. The Storm has a true standalone and unlocked GPS so Google Maps is able to truly able to use the GPS. I may be wrong but thats what I think it is.
    06-30-09 06:00 PM
    Hmmm I think its because the Pearl and Curve dont have a true open GPS. Im not 100% on that but I think thats the case. The Storm has a true standalone and unlocked GPS so Google Maps is able to truly able to use the GPS. I may be wrong but thats what I think it is.
    Yes and no....

The Storm does not have fully unlocked GPS. It's a security issue that Google has updated for the version of Google Maps for the Storm....There are sooooo many threads on this already.
    06-30-09 09:50 PM
    Yes and no....

The Storm does not have fully unlocked GPS. It's a security issue that Google has updated for the version of Google Maps for the Storm....There are sooooo many threads on this already.

this is incorrect..

I have honestly installed and ran about every single GPS application that I can find and they all work without the need of vz navigator..

this is including trip recorders and everything...

what is not fully unlocked on the storm is aGPS which isn't even needed for most gps applications anyway..

IE as Civic posted the GPS units that you purchase for cars don't have aGPS..

aGps simply helps locate you faster thats it..
    06-30-09 10:25 PM
    this is incorrect..

I have honestly installed and ran about every single GPS application that I can find and they all work without the need of vz navigator..

this is including trip recorders and everything...

what is not fully unlocked on the storm is aGPS which isn't even needed for most gps applications anyway..

IE as Civic posted the GPS units that you purchase for cars don't have aGPS..

aGps simply helps locate you faster thats it..
    That's basically what I was trying to say. The GPS on the storm (and probably the tour) are not fully unlocked so you can use the aGPS, which is what the poster before me was trying to say (that it was FULLY unlocked).
    06-30-09 10:29 PM
    That's basically what I was trying to say. The GPS on the storm (and probably the tour) are not fully unlocked so you can use the aGPS, which is what the poster before me was trying to say (that it was FULLY unlocked).

aGPS is part of the cell company's property... and it isn't required for anything really just helps you get satellites faster...
    06-30-09 10:33 PM
    BB Maps and Google maps give you within 3m range... As for true turn by turn navi.. you will need either VzNav or the Garmin software which does work on the device..

there are no "free" apps that give you that standalone turn by turn experience yet..
    Hope this helps..
    06-30-09 10:44 PM
    BB Maps and Google maps give you within 3m range... As for true turn by turn navi.. you will need either VzNav or the Garmin software which does work on the device..

there are no "free" apps that give you that standalone turn by turn experience yet..
    Hope this helps..
    Incorrect.

Try Amazegps and Nav4all
    06-30-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD