Top U.S. carriers plot faster gadgets, services - Yahoo! News

Notice that RIM is on the list for the Handsets...Since McAdams said the handsets would be released BY May 2011, I wonder if that means we really will see an S3 rocking LTE in November....
    05-18-10 08:40 AM
    They need to stop it with the Storm brand. No one wants another glitchy brick.
    05-18-10 08:56 AM
    LTE rocking on what network?..

AFAIK there is nothing lit at all yet in the USA

Notice that RIM is on the list for the Handsets...Since McAdams said the handsets would be released BY May 2011, I wonder if that means we really will see an S3 rocking LTE in November....
    05-18-10 09:14 AM
    LTE rocking on what network?..

AFAIK there is nothing lit at all yet in the USA
    Did you Read the article? VZW will have LTE live in 20-30 Markets by end of 2010 including NY.

From the article:
    Meanwhile, Verizon Wireless is building its high-speed network based on Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology.

The company, owned by Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group Plc, is on track to offer LTE to a potential customer base of 100 million people in 25 to 30 markets including New York City, by year's end, according to Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam.

McAdam also outlined plans for multiple new devices starting with a selection of tablets to compete with Apple Inc's iPad. He plans to sell most of these gadgets, which run on Google Inc's Android software, in the fourth quarter.

"There's no reason we couldn't have an iPad," McAdam said, but added that the first tablets will be Android devices from contenders including Motorola, Samsung and LG.

Verizon Wireless is also planning to sell up to five LTE handsets by next May, which is faster than some analysts had expected. McAdam said Motorola, HTC Corp, LG and Research In Motion could be front-runners.
    Last edited by The_Engine; 05-18-10 at 10:23 AM.
    05-18-10 10:20 AM
    I have always said that I did not care to upgrade my Tour to the new Bold/Tour 2 just for the trackpad and wifi.

But I would clearly make an upgrade to a new device for the LTE, once it is proven in my market.
    05-18-10 11:59 AM
    I have always said that I did not care to upgrade my Tour to the new Bold/Tour 2 just for the trackpad and wifi.

But I would clearly make an upgrade to a new device for the LTE, once it is proven in my market.
    +1. Plus I would consider using LTE for internet service at home.
    05-18-10 12:48 PM
    I'm wondering if the original Storm 3 hands on is actually going to be a Storm 4. I can't see RIM releasing an LTE phone 7 months ahead of the rest of the LTE phones.
    05-18-10 12:57 PM
    Did you Read the article? VZW will have LTE live in 20-30 Markets by end of 2010 including NY.

From the article:
    Look at WIMAX. Where is all the mythical coverage Sprint/Clear promised around 2 years ago? Where are all the devices, cars, laptops, that they were hyping would all have WIMAX built in? Heck theyre just FINALLY getting their first WIMAX phone nearly 2 years after 4G launch.

Not to say VZW is anywhere near as sad as Sprint, but talk is cheap and delays happen/plans change. Rolling out a new technology isnt always smooth.
    05-18-10 09:29 PM
    Look at WIMAX. Where is all the mythical coverage Sprint/Clear promised around 2 years ago? Where are all the devices, cars, laptops, that they were hyping would all have WIMAX built in? Heck theyre just FINALLY getting their first WIMAX phone nearly 2 years after 4G launch.

Not to say VZW is anywhere near as sad as Sprint, but talk is cheap and delays happen/plans change. Rolling out a new technology isnt always smooth.
    Very true, but look at WiMax itself. Even Clear Channel has admitted LTE is the future. Also I think th industry was generally not there with 4G yet. Sprint has the early adopter syndrome, like many of us S1 owners.

I can say that I personal sources inside VZW working on LTE. They are driving very, very hard to hit all their #'s. iSht they have gone public on it and now have to deliver.

We'll see what happens, but every reference of the S3 has said it was 4G and now McAdams is saying 5 handsets BY May. Not in May but BY May...
    05-19-10 05:02 AM

One word says it all about this......................SA-WEET!!!!!
    05-23-10 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD