Has a new OS allowed the GPS chip to be used by 3rd party apps in the Curve, or is it still locked down to only vznavigator?
    02-13-09 12:46 PM
    Has a new OS allowed the GPS chip to be used by 3rd party apps in the Curve, or is it still locked down to only vznavigator?
    It seems to be locked still.
    02-13-09 12:50 PM
    It's locked to all apps. except VZNav and BB Maps for OS 4.5
    02-13-09 12:57 PM
    I have been through this sight a million times and I can not get the synclauncher.exe to open! I have uninstalled the slacker on my bb and tried everything else. On my bb is works awesome but I wanna cache for when we go camping and have no signal. Help please...
    02-13-09 02:24 PM
    I have been through this sight a million times and I can not get the synclauncher.exe to open! I have uninstalled the slacker on my bb and tried everything else. On my bb is works awesome but I wanna cache for when we go camping and have no signal. Help please...
    Welcome to Crackberry...

What you are doing is referred to as thread hijacking, posting something or asking a question that is irrelevant to the original topic.
    02-13-09 02:27 PM
    It is still locked down the all but NAV. I have been running the NAV for about a week now and it has been much better than I had expected. I had the VZN people set it up and they did not have the setting correct so at first it was off by a couple fo blocks. After I found a post of settings here and made changes it appears to be good within about 50ft or so. So while not a cheap way it does work to some extent it seems.
    02-13-09 03:32 PM
    Much of above is not correct. GPS is unlocked with OS 4.5, but many third party apps do not know how to use it. My 8330 with 4.5 GPS works fine with google maps, but SendAFix can't find it.
    02-13-09 07:52 PM
    Does anyone know if upgrading from OS 4.3 to 4.5 will automatically unlock the GPS?
    02-13-09 08:24 PM
    GPS is unlocked according to several vzw ppl at the store. But they say it only works with bbmaps and google maps. You have to turn on location anywhere for it to work. How do you get the GPS to work with google maps. Right now I have OS 4.5 and GPS works fine with bb maps, but google maps is not recognize. Anyone have instructions. Much appreciated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Jag2181; 02-13-09 at 09:00 PM.
    02-13-09 08:24 PM
    What I have been able to determine from researching this, is that the Curve uses assisted GPS. This means that any GPS software basically uses the GPS chip and information it requests from the Verizon system. Verizon has set their system to allow these requests from their VZNavigator and BlackBerry Maps, but no other programs.

I believe this is set on the Verizon system and would be independent of any OS changes. Then again, I hope I am proven wrong.

ct_mike
    02-13-09 08:51 PM
    Much of above is not correct. GPS is unlocked with OS 4.5, but many third party apps do not know how to use it. My 8330 with 4.5 GPS works fine with google maps, but SendAFix can't find it.
    What carrier are you on? Are you on Verizon?
    02-13-09 09:05 PM
    BB Maps sucks and the GPS still doesn't work with Google Maps, at least not on my phone.
    02-14-09 12:45 AM
    BB Maps sucks and the GPS still doesn't work with Google Maps, at least not on my phone.
    NOt sure that it will, GPS third party application may not work. Now I am not 100 familiar with google, but if if it is an app you put on the device please check this.

1. GPS location on (options>adv options>GPS)
    2. options>adv options>appications - find google and hit menu and edit permissions. make sure they are all set to allow.

If it is going to work, then this should help
    02-14-09 08:10 AM
    I turned on the GPS to location (not 911). I also put ALLOW under Google maps application... and it now works. I have verizon. I do not have any other GPS software to know if it works with anything else, but it is working with google maps.
    02-14-09 10:26 AM
    NOt sure that it will, GPS third party application may not work. Now I am not 100 familiar with google, but if if it is an app you put on the device please check this.

1. GPS location on (options>adv options>GPS)
    2. options>adv options>appications - find google and hit menu and edit permissions. make sure they are all set to allow.

If it is going to work, then this should help
    This is what I did, and it works for me =)
    02-14-09 10:27 AM
    this what I did as well and is still not working. Still puts me in the 2000 meter ring. This makes it sounds like it would put you in the 3m?

Are you using 4.5.131 or .77

02-14-09 10:30 AM
    this what I did as well and is still not working. Still puts me in the 2000 meter ring. This makes it sounds like it would put you in the 3m?

Are you using 4.5.131 or .77

I am using .77. I do not use google maps though. What I hear from others it is not that accurate anyway.
    02-14-09 10:38 AM
    google maps app. works with my BB curve 8330 with verizon...
    02-14-09 11:41 PM
    and google maps works flawlessly with my AT&T 8310
    02-15-09 12:03 AM
    I have the 8330 for Verizon 4.5 OS and just downloaded google maps although I was told a few days ago that only VZ Navigator and BB maps could be used. For days I could not figure out how to get my GPS to navigate. I finally went to Options-Advanced Options-GPS and set GPS Services to Location On...it was on 911 only before today. Lo and behold I am now able to navigate. I was so excited that I just added google maps. Here's the thing though...BB Maps appears to be more accurate. It put me exactly at my location whereas googlemaps is off by several blocks.

The GPS feature is even one more reason to love my Curve. I had no idea that it had a GPS when I purchased it. Of course, it does not have voice turn by turn directions like my regular GPS, but it is great. I also love the search feature in BB Maps. I just put in the name of a store, restaurant etc and it pulls it up and gives me the phone number and address. You can also put in a general search term and find nearby addresses. Better yet, one touch and it calls the number for the establishment selected for you.
    02-15-09 11:01 PM
    I can't get google maps to work off of the gps, only off of cell triangulation. I have verizon, reinstalled google maps and am running 8330/4.5.0.97. Have location set to on and all services set to allow. It only reads location within 1000m or so. Any ideas?

02-16-09 02:15 PM
    I can't get google maps to work off of the gps, only off of cell triangulation. I have verizon, reinstalled google maps and am running 8330/4.5.0.97. Have location set to on and all services set to allow. It only reads location within 1000m or so. Any ideas?

That's as good as it gets, the GPS is still locked to all apps. except BB Maps and VZNav despite what some ppl. on Verizon are claiming.
    02-16-09 02:17 PM
    My phone doesn't work with anything other than blackberry maps. Google triangulates, it could be close or far away!

02-16-09 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD