My company is offering me a USB modem by Verizon for my laptop or to tether my BB Curve. Our company is relatively new with BlackBerries and don't think tethering will be as fast as of an internet connection as the USB modem. Your thoughts?

Also what are cost for tethering I hear it's about $15? Is 15 for unlimited tethering etc..?
    08-28-08 11:33 PM
    Since my BB is company owned and paid, I can't help with the cost.

Tethering works very well, either on USB or Bluetooth.

I have ocasionally seen up to around 650 Kb download speeds, but 250 - 350 is typical.

I've heard that an aircard is a little faster, but not much.

One thing that might be a drawback for you is that you can't talk on the phone while tethering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 01:22 AM
    Depending on the type of business you do, you will prob want the air card. As was already mentioned, if you get a phone call while tethered, you will loose your connection. Also, the curve is on EVDO rev 0, but I believe almost every verizon air card is on EVDO rev A, which is a faster connection, though I can't quote exactly how much. The card would cost 59.99 a month and the tethering would cost either 15 or 30, depending on what bb package you have on your plan, but the total for data charges must total 59.99 to tether the bb through verizon

Oh, on both plans, the limit is 5gb, but on the BB, that is only counted for data used while tethered, the BB itself is unlimited I believe.
    Last edited by hilhi2005; 08-29-08 at 01:57 AM.
    08-29-08 01:54 AM
    I used to have the Verizon air card before I bought my Curve. Now I use my Berry for tethering on those occassions when I need full access to the net. A couple of observations....

1) Since I can now access the net directly on my Berry, I'm using my laptop for net access a LOT less - probably 70-80% less.

2) Connection speeds using the Berry are about 50% slower than they were with the aircard.

3) The slower connection speeds aren't that noticable when you're just surfing or doing simple stuff like banking. But when you're trying to download something big, or access something like YouTube, then you'll want the faster download speeds.

4) As mentioned, both options limit you to 5gb of data. But I've never even come close to that limit with the aircard, and I'm barely breaking 500k now that I have my Berry.
    08-29-08 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD