I been checking too................and nothing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 02:07 PM
    Nothing yet.
    09-15-08 01:00 AM
    Called this morning, and they were tossing me around for a while with no answer. No one seem to know what I was asking about.
    I'm very frustrated.

09-15-08 02:25 PM
    I just online chat with vzw and follow up phone call. neither gave me an updates on release dates.
    09-15-08 03:15 PM
    I spoke with Customer Service just now and they were trying to tell me right away that I should be able to access the latest VZ Nav on my phone without an issue. Right....

That's if the latest version of Navigator was 2.9.

What I've started to realize with my BB 8830 is that I'm making several significant trade-offs to get a supposed "smartphone". The call quality is wonderful - almost enough right there to justify keeping the phone as a voice only device. Surfing the web is great, as it the ability to download bits and pieces of info while I am on the go. (Wallpapers, ringtones, etc) I like that I can go to my bank's website while I'm out and check my balance (and cleared and pending transactions) before I commit to a purchase in the store - or to confirm an amount that was debited from my account from the day before, etc.

However, I run a PC at my home using Ubuntu, which all but locks me out of syncing my contacts and info on the PC to keep an accurate running list of my info on the device. My temporary solution until I break down and install Windows is to use the Gmail app and pull up contacts that way. What happens when I need to get a phone number and I am in an area with limited coverage?

I go from a device that had a reasonable amount of my data on it - an LG VX8350 - and I go to a device that hardly has any. I'm not using the robust feature set and I'm fearful now that I'm going to be forced to spend another $50 - $60 for a "puck" to get the GPS functionality that I want out of my phone.

I paid about $100 for the phone off of Craig's List two weeks ago. The seller is long gone and I'm sure he doesn't want this phone back since leaving for Sprint. I'm about ready to:

a) Throw the phone against the wall
    b) Sell it on Craig's List
    c) Donate it to my wife because she wants a big screen
    09-17-08 05:58 PM
    It sounds as though you could've spent more time doing your homework on the phone; Verizon's disabling of GPS for 3rd party applications has not exactly been kept secret. And, in my opinion, your expectation that Ubuntu Linux be a supported operating system for synchronization is a bit unreasonable. How many phones have Linux support?

For what it's worth, the latest word to VZW reps is that VZ Nav 4.0 will be available tomorrow, 9/18/2008.
    09-17-08 07:25 PM

For what it's worth, the latest word to VZW reps is that VZ Nav 4.0 will be available tomorrow, 9/18/2008.
    Thank You for the update , and now we patiently wait...............

09-17-08 07:47 PM
    It sounds as though you could've spent more time doing your homework on the phone; Verizon's disabling of GPS for 3rd party applications has not exactly been kept secret. And, in my opinion, your expectation that Ubuntu Linux be a supported operating system for synchronization is a bit unreasonable. How many phones have Linux support?

Most "dumb" phones on Verizon can work with BitPim, and that application is supported on multiple platforms. I actually did my research before buying the phone and compiled the necessary programs to get the Blackberry to sync with Evolution. That, however, was way more trouble than what it is worth. By the time I had it working, the sync was failing every other time. It was to the point I considered going to a phone / PDA combo again.

And for what it is worth - many can get a Centro or a Treo to sync with Linux systems - I almost worked out a trade with another person.

I tried SyncJE last night along with GooSync and I'm happy with the implementation of that. Only problem is that I can't add calendar events on my Blackberry and have them sync back to my Google Calendar. I'm not worried, though, because the work around is to send an SMS to GVENT and work with it from there. Honestly, it's no different than how I used to manage my calendar and contacts with one of the original Palm devices from a decade ago.

I uploaded VZ Nav 4 this morning around 6:00am and for what it is worth it is better than the version available previously, but it still seems buggy. Quirks include, but are not limited to, being unable to get driving directions to contacts from address book, being able to view local events around my GPS coordinates (although it shows results), etc.
    09-18-08 07:52 AM
    What did I miss here? When I check for updates it still say 2.9.9 is current.......

09-18-08 08:23 AM
    What did I miss here? When I check for updates it still say 2.9.9 is current.......

You don't check for updates. You have to go to the page for Nav on your Blackberry. That's just how they decided to do it.
    09-18-08 08:24 AM
    That seems asinine but that I shall do. Thanks!

09-18-08 08:25 AM
    Its no good, every link I can find prompts me to download 2.9.9 as current. The links within my browser , google results , VZW website ........ Can you provide a link?

Once it did prompt me to specify the OS verision 4.2.xx or 4.2.xx for my 8830 before continuing BUT I have an 8330 4.5.0.77 could that be the problem?

09-18-08 08:56 AM
    I don't necessarily think OS 4.5 is the problem. I'm at work so I'm kinda sorta not supposed to be here posting about this right this minute. In about 90 minutes I'm on lunch.
    09-18-08 10:02 AM
    Ok , thanks! See you at lunch

09-18-08 10:04 AM
    I'm not an expert, but maybe the system is looking for some identifier that you are running OS 4.2.xxx in order to complete the install. When it finds that you aren't on that version, are you prompted to update your device?
    09-18-08 11:48 AM
    No it results in an error " there was a problem requesting the information"

So are you 8830 or 8330 and what OS, out of curiosity? Sorry , I am usually pretty self sufficient , I didn't mean to place the weight of my incompetence on your shoulders, I'm sure I will figure it out.

09-18-08 11:59 AM
    Has anybody else here been successful obtaining VZNav 4 on their BlackBerry?

09-18-08 03:50 PM
    Has anybody else here been successful obtaining VZNav 4 on their BlackBerry?

yes, a lot of us have!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/vz-...eleased-73545/
    09-18-08 03:52 PM
    nope 4.5.x.x. and still get ver 2.9
    09-18-08 03:55 PM
    Thanks Chrisy thats just what I needed!

nope 4.5.x.x. and still get ver 2.9
    Once I deleted VZnav 2.9 from my device and rebooted , VZStart page on BlackBerry Browser , VZnav link and presto 4.1

Thanks again everybody!
    09-18-08 04:59 PM
    It works! In order to get version 4.1 on my 8330. I had to uninstall version 2.9, reboot my device and then download from the vzw homepage.

09-18-08 07:05 PM
    It appears that this new version will NOT work with an external Bluetooth puck. The last version did work. There is no place to specify gps source.

Also, this one intercepted my attempts and said I had to call verizon to enable the application.
    09-19-08 12:53 PM
    What is the benefit of using an external puck with VZnav?

09-19-08 12:55 PM
    What is the benefit of using an external puck with VZnav?

i think they were using the puck INSTEAD of VZ Nav. no?
    09-19-08 12:57 PM
    Well ,this thread is for VZnav so I assumed........... Is this person implying that you can no longer use a puck with other gps apps after upgrading to 4 , that would be a hugely detrimental step backwards for us VZW customers , is that even possible?

09-19-08 01:07 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD