If you click this link you can vote on this new Google Product Mobile idea forum.

Google Product Ideas

My idea is simple. Easy... and many other third parties apps do it... That is, to support the Storms GPS in Google Maps!

Let's show Google how big our community really is! Let's show them that we are king!
    12-31-08 07:50 PM
    Count me in
    12-31-08 07:53 PM
    Don't worry this guy flames everybody.
    It's not about flaming....it's about the fact that it is'nt a google issue, it's a Verizon issue and they'd need to open the full support for it, not Google..you're picking the "fight" with the wrong ppl lol.
    12-31-08 07:57 PM
    The community is way ahead of you my man.
    12-31-08 07:59 PM
    That answer is from over a month ago. And yes, it does work in landscape just fine, so I really don't understand what they're talking about.
    12-31-08 08:03 PM
    Wow... people are really snippy today. I thought it would be fun to see how many people would vote for it.

It's not a Verizon issue totally. They could fix their software to work for the Storm. Period. I can get a latlong from it using their JDE. If I can... Google can! If Garmin can! Google can!

Anyway, everyone vote now it will be fun!
    12-31-08 08:03 PM
    It's not about snippy. The software is coming... just wait for Google to update the app. Sheesh...

This is like putting up a voting list to get the government to swear in Obama on Inaguration Day. It's gona happen regardless.
    12-31-08 08:07 PM
    Damn, all you guys apperently started drinking early.

1) GPS is open on the Storm.
    2) GMaps will release a Storm capable version in January.
    3) You're just too drunk to realize all this and still post this isht.
    Exactly...
    12-31-08 08:12 PM
    How do you know it's coming in January? If you read that whole tread that Freelancer852 references (on the Google mobile forum) See Here: Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help

Google has said they might not support it (and now I quote Google employee Tom / Thom:

"Hi all,

I wanted to provide a little background for people with Verizon Wireless devices who aren't able to use their device's internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile. Access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in that list. However, two other methods of determining your location, Cell ID and Wifi access points, can be used to pinpoint your place on the map.

I'll update this group if I have more news regarding Verizon GPS integrations with Google Maps for mobile in the future.

Cheers,
    Tom"

So where in the world are you getting "it's going to happen"? I have read alot contrary? Including this official post from a Google employee on a Storm thread! Where is your source for January... Again... Everyone should vote so that they stop sandbagging us!

I am a Software Engineer by trade. Yes it's annoying that Verizon forced RIM to have a different GPS API for the Storm and other BlackBerry's. But to update their software would be easy. aGPS... Well that's another matter we can complain about.

Anyway Civic I would be interested where your "official" source comes from!
    12-31-08 08:16 PM
    Dumbass, other GPS apps work just fine on the Storm. Nav4All works with the internal GPS. Don't be stupid. This has been discussed to the end of the world and back. GPS IS NOT LOCKED ON THE STORM. Now STFU and wait on Google to just update their app. Geeze man, do some more reading. Don't **** me on off NYE!
    12-31-08 08:30 PM
    GPS on Google works GREAT in Australia!
    12-31-08 08:34 PM
    While the January date is news to me, since this poll or vote system isn't being run by Google, odds are it's an act in futility.

I'm sure it's on the agenda for some future update of Google Maps Mobile, we'll just have to wait it out. Everything else on Google Maps Mobile already works great on the Storm, just not GPS related functions.
    12-31-08 08:35 PM
    Dumbass, other GPS apps work just fine on the Storm. Nav4All works with the internal GPS. Don't be stupid. This has been discussed to the end of the world and back. GPS IS NOT LOCKED ON THE STORM. Now STFU and wait on Google to just update their app. Geeze man, do some more reading. Don't **** me on off NYE!
    That is so cool. Haha! Best post I've read in ages! I like it, hehe

(Until you pick on me next about GPS!)
    12-31-08 08:36 PM
    hay house could you give me that link to nav4all.
    12-31-08 08:40 PM
    hay house could you give me that link to nav4all.
    How about Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!
    12-31-08 08:44 PM
    you be the shizzle my nizzle.......Thanks
    12-31-08 08:47 PM
    like i asked before is the OP drunk?
    man am i the only one wishing that RIM didnt release the storm? WOW !!!
    ok i kid but jeez maybe i'm not kidding
    12-31-08 09:26 PM
    Damn, all you guys apperently started drinking early.

1) GPS is open on the Storm.
    2) GMaps will release a Storm capable version in January.
    3) You're just too drunk to realize all this and still post this isht.
    What she said.

Cheers
    12-31-08 09:59 PM
    Daymn, Brian Peterson got owned.
    12-31-08 11:22 PM
    Wow! Just, WOW! Do you need to take your meds???
    12-31-08 11:34 PM
    Got owned? That's shockingly stupid!

Civic does not understand context or jest at all. I clearly stated that the GPS was unlocked. We can say 'dumbass' all we want and troll and traipse around the forums. He needs an English lesson!

I was clearly talking about aGps. Assisted GPS. I Have Nav4All installed. It does not use the Assisted GPS. Google engineers have posted in forums complaining that it seems to be hard to get at. Maybe not locked. But the API docs are bad.

Anyways.... Anyone worth their development salt can get at the LatLong with the JDE. Piece of cake. 1 hour task. All I am asking for is a quick GPS fix and layer in the aGPS later.

I thought it would be fun to have everyone at CrackBerry vote on it using Google's new idea forum (just came out).

Obviously, some in this forum... Namely Civic can't handle fun. This thread was never intended to talk about the interstices of the JDE API.

But CIVIC you are a real class act. Doting around the forum telling people that Google is going to get GPS up and going on the Storm in January. You are part of the problem on this forum. Throwing out rumors without any actual evidence. This is not the first time you have done it.

I was quoting Google THEMSELVES. They feel the GPS is locked. See we have this thing in English called quotes... They are like apostrophes but there are two of them that open a quote and end them...

Like this Civic said "Dumbass, other GPS apps work just fine on the Storm"

I have schooled people before in English Civic. Care to have lessons?

It was just a fun poll. You just killed my inner child! Thank you and...

Happy New Years my schooled trolling rumor mill!
    01-01-09 12:16 AM
    It's not about snippy. The software is coming... just wait for Google to update the app. Sheesh...

This is like putting up a voting list to get the government to swear in Obama on Inaguration Day. It's gona happen regardless.

Hey can I vote somewhere against swearing him in???

Just kidding. I did not vote for him but i will back him as the president when he gets in. I doubt he will do much good but, whatever we all need to back him and try to fix Washington. Washington is so screwed up.
    01-01-09 12:51 AM
    I clearly stated that the GPS was unlocked.

I was quoting Google THEMSELVES. They feel the GPS is locked.

See we have this thing in English called quotes!
    So basically you yourself know that GPS is unlocked, yet you still quote Tom on being wrong on what he wrote on those forums. The guy didn't even know the capabilities of the handset when he wrote that. He even gives some mumbo jumbo line about GMaps not working in landscape because the Storm's interface is too fancy, which we all know that it does work, so you're going to buy his response about GPS being locked. I'll let you in on a little secret. He based his answer on past VZW GPS practices. The guy hadn't even ran GMaps on a Storm at the time of that quote. Otherwise he wouldn't be talking out his **** about the landscape issue.

Bottom line, Google just needs to rewrite a few API calls to get this going. It will happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 01:41 AM
    What a bunch of ridiculous hostility.

Civic... it is simple. He asked for your proof of a new google release in January.

Do you have such proof or are you speculating?

He is right... you do clearly need lessons in reading comprehension. He quoted that guy because that was the only "google response" he had found. I think he made this abundantly clear in that post.

I would also like to know...do you have some proof of this new release in January? I'm not accusing you of anything, I just would really like to know.
    01-01-09 10:11 AM
    It's not about flaming....it's about the fact that it is'nt a google issue, it's a Verizon issue and they'd need to open the full support for it, not Google..you're picking the "fight" with the wrong ppl lol.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know that it's a Verizon issue with GPS and Not Google? GPS works with every other 3rd party app that I've tried with the Storm except for Google Maps. Works for telenav, garmin, nav4all, bbmaps, weatherbug, and a few others that I've tried, and that have been used by crackberry members.
    01-01-09 10:52 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD