So I did a forum search for a post on this but didn't find anything so sorry if this was brought up once before but here goes... I was at the VZW store yesterday to get another BB bc mine was defective outta the box and I had asked the manager about upgrading your OS on the BB and if it voided the warranty. This was the response, " you can upgrade your OS and it will not void the warranty as long as its an official VZW OS update. If you download one that's floating around and you install it and delete 'that' file you're supposed to, then it completely voids your warranty." Wouldn't you just be able to install the previous OS you had and keep the vendor file so it was back to the old OS if you had a defective phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 08:45 AM
    Correct, you can always go back to an older OS.

Rep is full of it.......
    10-15-08 08:51 AM
    Wouldn't you just be able to install the previous OS you had and keep the vendor file so it was back to the old OS if you had a defective phone?

Yup. They can't tell if the vendor file was deleted unless you have 4.5
    10-15-08 08:54 AM
    somebody in the alltel forum said that when they inspect your phone after they receive it for a warranty exchange they can tell if a new OS has been loaded... even if you downgrade properly...

I dont know if its true just passing it along....
    10-15-08 09:15 AM
    Good to know. Thanks

10-15-08 09:30 AM
    ALT+L-G-L-G
    Shows everything your phone has ever done

Yes even with a proper up/down grade they can tell you had 4.5 on your BB

Unless you clear that log after you have 4.3 back on the phone

**even then I'm sure there is a way to tell**

10-15-08 09:42 AM
    Another obvious problem would be if your warranty issue made it impossible to revert to the original OS - something like a non-functional USB port.
    10-15-08 10:48 AM
    Another obvious problem would be if your warranty issue made it impossible to revert to the original OS - something like a non-functional USB port.
    Would it be wise to install verizon 4.5 oce they release it. I have the US cellular one so was wondering once they release the leash should I uninstall and add verizon?
    10-15-08 11:12 AM
    The warranty on RIM products is hardware only. It will cover issues like a defect in the keyboard, display, battery and function of the logic board. There is no expressed or implied warranty on the software.

You carrier on the other hand, is responsible for administering the warranty. There can be no argument when the hardware problem is evident, but it will be up to the individual accessing the problem to distinguish between a hardware and software issue. That is the gray area.

10-15-08 11:14 AM
    ALT+L-G-L-G
    Shows everything your phone has ever done

Thank for mentioning how to access the log, very good to know incase I had to delete somethin . Ya I figured there was a way to find out that info, now I know

10-15-08 11:24 AM
    The 30-day return warranty is the best reason why you should not upgrade to an unsupported OS in the first 30 days, even if you know exactly what you're doing. And beginners absolutely should not. Why risk voiding your warranty, when you may find a warrantied defect that would be grounds for returning the phone?
    10-15-08 12:45 PM
    I was at sprint 1 week ago, I had upgraded my os to 4.5 then downgraded and the dude didnt' say anything. I got a brand new one outta the box. They're too busy half the time to take a minute to look at things like.
    10-15-08 01:05 PM
    I was at sprint 1 week ago, I had upgraded my os to 4.5 then downgraded and the dude didnt' say anything. I got a brand new one outta the box. They're too busy half the time to take a minute to look at things like.
    they will then ship your phone to somewhere and it gets inspected for water damage and other physical damage... if they find water in the phone it is sent back to you and you can either pay full price for the phone you have or keep the broken one. That is when they say they will find out if you upgraded to another OS or not....

Keep an eye on the mail FLchick.

on another note how do you clear that log????
    10-15-08 01:18 PM
    it was a software issue, i didn't have any water or physical damage but thanks. I also have insurance
    10-15-08 01:20 PM
    Well what he's was just saying its similiar to that. If they detect it, they either ship the phone back and make you pay shipping costs or make you pay full retail price for it.

10-15-08 01:23 PM
    I'm not worried but thanks everyone. Continue on
    10-15-08 01:32 PM
    it was a software issue, i didn't have any water or physical damage but thanks. I also have insurance
    I am not really sure if they do it or not... and i wasnt saying that you had water or physical damage... I was just saying that thats "allegedly" when they say they look at the log or whatever and can tell if your OS has changed or not..
    10-15-08 01:33 PM
    That is when they say they will find out if you upgraded to another OS or not....
    All hearsay!
    10-15-08 01:38 PM
    Ya true I wouldn't be too worried either. I'm thankful I asked before I did anything with my OS.

I have the warrany plan from VZW and I got the full one so it covers everything so I'd be mighty sad if I broke my phone and couldn't get another one considering in the first 5 days my 8330 was acting strange and I had to take it back.

Good thing I didn't update it. I had the door greeter as VZW telling me I couldn't get an exchange, even though I bought it 4 days ago. I looked at him in amazment and said, you're job is to direct ppl where to go and enter they're information into the front computer right? Ya, go do your job plz and walked away. Anyways they replaced my phone with a new bb as soon as I told em when I bought it. lol@doorman

10-15-08 02:04 PM
    You're = your :X

10-15-08 02:06 PM
    They better, that's a bunch of garbage!!!! Its fun telling people like that off lol

Did you waive it in the air as you walked out? lol kidding!
    10-15-08 02:10 PM
    LOL, I didn't do exactly that but when I was walking out I looked at him, lifted the bag up with the box in it and jokingly said, "I knew that 30 day warranty meant something!" He looked kinda grumpy after that, not quite mad thoug lol

10-15-08 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD