like stated in the comments... anyone worried about their "Terms of Service"?
    Yes, I am a bit concerned. I raised this with the programmer/staff that released gcalc and their suite. It seemed a bit broad. Vlingo seems even broader.

If as someone said in another thread, they are transmitting the VOICE back to their site for "translation" into text, then they can even grab voice prints for people.
    06-26-08 01:53 PM
    From their website:

Vlingo runs on released BlackBerry OS versions 4.2.1 and higher.

Note that we do not yet support version 4.5, but expect to shortly after its official release.

Although there has been an official release, expect some more time for 3rd party apps to be releasing 4.5 updates.
    Thanks Chaz, now i know why it isnt working for me, i'll just have to delte it and wait for an update.
    06-26-08 07:40 PM
    i couldnt get this to work frankly im over it however it said because
    of APN? what is this? i found it under options>TCP and it is blank?
    any help?
    06-26-08 09:36 PM
    downloaded...played with it...loved how it translated dirty words and other things incorrectly....

then deleted...a novelty...not useful because of it's unpredictability.

I also don't like the TOS either.

Glad it was free.
    06-26-08 10:12 PM
    Can anyone help me with a desktop install? I can't install OTA. Where is the desktop install located?
    06-26-08 11:04 PM
    Vlingo DOES work on T-Mobile, and are having issues with random phones not working. They are looking into the problem. They sent this letter to me, I just posted it on another thread.
    06-26-08 11:49 PM
    downloaded...played with it...loved how it translated dirty words and other things incorrectly....

then deleted...a novelty...not useful because of it's unpredictability.

I also don't like the TOS either.

Glad it was free.
    I found there's a "Content Filtering" option in the options menu! I haven't gotten it working yet but that might have been your issue.
    06-30-08 05:53 PM
    I sent a text message to my daughter and she recevied it as a voice text! Works great on my pearl...
    I thought vlingo just transcribed the spoken words??
    06-30-08 09:02 PM
    okay....so i thought about trying the program again and see if it still makes my phone slow (i deleted it before)
    but now i can't find it.....any ideas???
    07-01-08 03:21 PM
    just got an email of the beta version... tested it out over EDGE network and it works now... yay!!!

btw i have 8320 with T-Mo and I too was getting the "network timed out error" when used over EDGE but not anymore... i'll keep messin around with it and see...

oh and i have 4.5.0.46 tho the links were only for 4.2 and 4.3 it still worked!!
    07-01-08 04:34 PM
    i just got an email of the beta version fix for connection problems too.

the new version is working fine
    07-01-08 05:07 PM
    I found there's a "Content Filtering" option in the options menu! I haven't gotten it working yet but that might have been your issue.
    My grammer sucks...lol...I meant to say that i thought it was funny that it could/would translate dirty words on it...did a good job of those...but when it came to long strings of voice...it did a poopy job.

Again, this program is all for fun. Like all voice recognition software, they have their glitches and none are ever going to be perfect...but in the time it takes to proofread what was transcribed, edit the incorrect words...i may have well just manually entered in the text to begin with.

Kinda like: my typing on the computer is much faster than my handwriting...so why handwrite when I can type?
    07-01-08 06:23 PM
    It's not ready for prime time. Names are impossible so it's tough to actually send something to a contact.

It also slowed my phone to a halt.
    07-11-08 08:37 PM
    Nice concept for an app...

However, it's a resource hog and slows down my berry. Also, the voice recognition stinks. And I don't have the time and patience to train a program to understand me.

Yahoo OneSearch has a way better voice recognition success rate.
    07-13-08 01:57 PM
    Oh yeah and one more thing....

It transfers your voice to their server for "training purposes" .... That's a little scary.
    07-13-08 01:57 PM
    well i have the 8110 on att and it wont let me do it.. i can download the program but it wont let me run it.. any suggestions?
    07-13-08 02:28 PM
    FYI, I ended up deleting the program in favor of the Starry Night ap for skywatchers. I might have kept vlingo except I got a Ford Fusion with SYNC...almost everything is hands free. I think I can even open voice notes through the bluetooth, so...no need for vlingo.

I would like to see this program made much more useful and less of a security risk.

It needs a "reply to sender" option. Fix it so no buttons have to be clicked to search. Make it faster to train and less of a resource hog.

besiderself
    08-09-08 03:08 PM
    I ended up deleting it too. Always got timeout errors, just got sick of that. Plus, who wants to proofread everything they write?! If you're going to do that, and spend time scrolling back through to correct wrong words, you may as well have just typed the whole thing!
    08-20-08 12:43 AM
    i cant get it to work on my 8330 on sprint running 4.3
    i get to the set permissions and cant get past that

anyone that can help or suggest anything

thanks
    10-24-08 03:11 AM
    Can anybody give me the link to get vingo?
    11-13-08 08:39 AM
    11-13-08 09:24 AM
    I am surprised at all of the negative about vlingo. Maybe I have no accent and it just works for me, but I have been impressed with its accuracy. When it is inaccurate, however, it is more of a pain in the **** to edit than it would be to type the message.

In an earlier post I saw cautionary statements about the EULA... I think the service just downloads the names in your address book to make it easier to work "call John Smith." Downloading my voice for training purposes is also a little scary, but, as I understand it, the service is supposed to get more accurate over time (mine has, though I started at zero when I got a new phone) and I assume that downloading my voice is part of the training process.

It is especially useful for twitter. You just say "twitter I just robbed a bank; party at my house later" and the message goes to your twitter people. Same for SMS, etc.

The only issue I have is that, on my Bold, it freezes the LED on at each use and dims my screen unless I turn off auto-dim.

3G seems to make a big difference, too. Before, on 2G with my 8800, it took longer to retrieve the results to the data window than I would have taken to type it. Not the case with 3G.

Open Calendar. Note to Self... seems pretty handy to me.
    11-20-08 01:11 PM
    I'm loving Vlingo so far. There are some issues, though I believe they are due to using the 8800 version on the Bold. Hopefully they will release a Bold version very soon.

Only real issue I have so far is that when vlingo sends a SMS text a copy of the text shows up on my Today screen that won't go away unless I open the message and manually delete it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Kronk; 11-20-08 at 05:59 PM.
    11-20-08 05:53 PM
    Question: Can Vlingo be used via Bluetooth?
    11-21-08 10:05 AM
    It works pretty well for me IF i pronounce each word very clearly and separately. It also slows my phone down when i'm not even using it. Just slowing down my phone will more than likely make me delete it. As somebody else said it's kind of unpredictable. It would be great for driving except I end up spending time editing each email for accuracy, so it's not completely 'hands-free texting' I'm sure with time and practice I will be better at voicing my words to work with the program. It's still faster overall than typing while driving, but for me its not really faster for typing only (as in not performing another task while typing). I'll give it a week or so and see how I feel about it. As of now...I like the program, but my phones fast smooth performance is more important than this feature.
    11-22-08 07:08 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD