I am about ready to get an Android, giving up and somewhat fed up with RIM. But I am learning that it doesn't seem to compare to BB Email. It can get Email, but so far from everyone I've checked with, it doesn't filter. There is no BIS, so if you forward Email, it all comes. I'm told if you delete from phone, it doesn't delete from computer.

These features have been major advantages to Blackberry. I can't believe they aren't highlighted in discussions. And I can't believe they will be lost. It's like, for those who are old enough, the Beta/VHS story, where Beta was a better format but lost to marketing.
    07-22-12 07:51 AM
    You can filter e-mail with any Android phone/device. No, BIS is BlackBerry Internet Service, and Androids don't use that, only BBs. They probably haven't been highlighted because they aren't true.

Do some more research before switching. You will thank yourself for it.
    07-22-12 08:02 AM
    I am about ready to get an Android, giving up and somewhat fed up with RIM. But I am learning that it doesn't seem to compare to BB Email. It can get Email, but so far from everyone I've checked with, it doesn't filter. There is no BIS, so if you forward Email, it all comes. I'm told if you delete from phone, it doesn't delete from computer.

These features have been major advantages to Blackberry. I can't believe they aren't highlighted in discussions. And I can't believe they will be lost. It's like, for those who are old enough, the Beta/VHS story, where Beta was a better format but lost to marketing.
    I've never heard of any of these problems on android. In fact, I have more problems with my exchange email on my BB than I do on an old Galaxy S.

On the Galaxy, deleting works 2-way as does read and unread flags. Filtering can also be done server side. I've never actually used BIS filtering. RIMs servers also have a really hard time with push email from exchange active sync (non BES) which I've never experienced on android.

BES email is awesome, and I've never found anything better for work. But when not using BES, it's mediocre at best IMO.
    07-22-12 08:07 AM
    Fascinating. I even asked about filtering on Android Central forums. So, would you mind explaining HOW to filter? And how to delete Email from handheld AND computer? That would be helpful it seems to lots who don't seem to know this. thanks.
    07-22-12 08:37 AM
    One of the other advantages of the BlackBerry service is that it provides the server for sending mail. If you are on an older Email system, you do not have to worry about smtp servers, as the BIS/BES provides the sending servers. The BIS/BES also doesn't care about what network you are on and automatically switches if you go from cellular to Wifi.

I don't know about Android, but the iPhones all the way to the 4s are problematic when sending mail for legacy POP mail systems. When switching from WIFI to cellular the phone would sometimes not use the proper smtp server and the mail would not send. After years with an iPhone, My wife switched to a 9810 and wondered why she hadn't switched to a BlackBerry years ago. Apple's solution was to switch to a cloud based email like Gmail.
    Last edited by robsteve; 07-22-12 at 08:49 AM.
    07-22-12 08:43 AM
    Fascinating. I even asked about filtering on Android Central forums. So, would you mind explaining HOW to filter? And how to delete Email from handheld AND computer? That would be helpful it seems to lots who don't seem to know this. thanks.
    We'll need some info on what type of mail service you're using.
    07-22-12 08:48 AM
    I would be interested in having a Microsoft Outlook Email and Yahoo email account forwarded with filtering.
    07-22-12 08:59 AM
    The yahoo mail account will be easy, just make sure you're using the imap sync method and your mailboxes should be automatically synced.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Microsoft Outlook Email". Outlook is software for viewing email, it's not an email provider.
    07-22-12 09:13 AM
    Mail Droid lets you add non-web based email accounts. I don't use filtering, but I'm assuming you mean have emails come to specific folders? Mail Droid let's you import settings, so I would assume filtering settings would be imported too, but I could be wrong since I don't use those particular features.

ETA: If you mean regular inbox filtering, this is what you get on Mail Droid:

Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 07-22-12 at 09:29 AM.
    07-22-12 09:24 AM
    By filtering, I mean being able to decide which mail should forward or not forward. In other words, ads could be filtered out, or just friends could be filtered in. At my office Email (uses Outlook....is it perhaps Exhange?) there are many Announce to all or other extraneous emails I can filter not to forward. If one can't filter Email, then a ton (all) will come to the phone which can be a nuisance.
    07-22-12 09:35 AM
    07-22-12 10:03 AM
    By filtering, I mean being able to decide which mail should forward or not forward. In other words, ads could be filtered out, or just friends could be filtered in. At my office Email (uses Outlook....is it perhaps Exhange?) there are many Announce to all or other extraneous emails I can filter not to forward. If one can't filter Email, then a ton (all) will come to the phone which can be a nuisance.
    That email filtering happens server side, it has nothing to do with the device that is receiving the email.
    07-22-12 10:10 AM
    Thanks. It seems like you are forwarding email accounts to Gmail. What I am trying to figure out is how to have several email accounts come to the phone, similar to BB, but only mail you have said you want via filters. Is that possible with Android? Blackberry uses BIS. Is there a way to filter on Android, for example, with Yahoo? I did it on BB with BIS, not through Yahoo.
    Last edited by pvdiamon; 07-22-12 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Response to post that happened while composing
    07-22-12 10:16 AM
    That email filtering happens server side, it has nothing to do with the device that is receiving the email.
    I was wondering about that, too. I know that all of my created folders show up when I sync an account to the phones. Maybe filtering syncs the same way. I was trying to find a way to set up the filters directly on the device, though, and it looks like that's only an option in gmail from what I can tell.
    07-22-12 10:17 AM
    Thanks. It seems like you are forwarding email accounts to Gmail. What I am trying to figure out is how to have several email accounts come to the phone, similar to BB, but only mail you have said you want via filters. Is that possible with Android? Blackberry uses BIS. Is there a way to filter on Android, for example, with Yahoo? I did it on BB with BIS, not through Yahoo.
    If what Mike is saying is true, then as long as every account you have coming to the phone has the filters set up on the server then they should come in the same way on the device. I just happened to have my gmail pulled up for that screenshot, but I have gmail, yahoo, and my ISP provided email coming to my phone and they have those same options.
    07-22-12 10:21 AM
    Yes, like I said, you set up the filters server side. Depending on what email provider you are using, there are different setups. Gmail is simple, it actually has filter options built in so you can decide exactly what items get synced with the device. When using exchange, I use inbox filtering to move things that I don't want to folders other than the inbox. Only the inbox syncs to my phone.

I don't forward anything to gmail, too insecure for work email.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 07-22-12 at 10:26 AM.
    07-22-12 10:22 AM
    This is kind of abstract for me. To make it more concrete and clear, is there a way to set up a filter on the server for Yahoo mail if you aren't paying for premium Yahoo mail?
    07-22-12 10:44 AM
    On Android if you set up the accounts as others have said before me - if you go to the account - settings - incoming settings - then down at the bottom of the list is Delete email from server and you have the choice of "never" or "when I delete from inbox". If you chose "when I delete from inbox" you will delete the email server side. Works very well for me, I believe the Active Sync based email on Android is very comparable to the BB email through BIS.
    07-22-12 10:50 AM
    This is kind of abstract for me. To make it more concrete and clear, is there a way to set up a filter on the server for Yahoo mail if you aren't paying for premium Yahoo mail?
    Yes, on the Yahoo email page near the top is "Options" - "mail options" and there you can set up filters. Also make sure that "Automatically move spam to the spam folder" is checked in the "General" tab.
    07-22-12 10:54 AM
    Here's what I could find: http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...pressions=true

But it doesn't say anything about notifications for the mail that arrives within these folders on a mobile device. I'll keep trying to see what I can find.
    pvdiamon likes this.
    07-22-12 10:56 AM
    On Android if you set up the accounts as others have said before me - if you go to the account - settings - incoming settings - then down at the bottom of the list is Delete email from server and you have the choice of "never" or "when I delete from inbox". If you chose "when I delete from inbox" you will delete the email server side. Works very well for me, I believe the Active Sync based email on Android is very comparable to the BB email through BIS.
    Randall, thanks for trying to explain. It sounds like you can set up the account to delete from inbox or not, but for the account, not per email. That is one apparently big BB advantage. The Yahoo filters place email in different folders, but don't prevent them from coming to the phone. There seems to be more all or none decisions one makes with Android, while BB allowed customization, even per individual email or sender.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-22-12 12:17 PM
    What blackberry feature are you referring to that allows for this message filter customization?
    07-22-12 12:27 PM
    I go to BIS, and I am able to filter by sender or other parameters whether or not an email is forwarded to my phone. I can do that for numerous email accounts. Then, if an email comes to the phone, I can choose to delete from phone, or from phone and computer. Thus I can keep certain important emails on my computer (on the server that is) and clear out my phone. This is a big advantage for me as I don't want tons of email on my phone, and I do want some to be maintained on the server.
    07-22-12 12:42 PM
    Yeah as far as I know there isn't any way to delete individual emails on the device but keep on the server, even on the better 3rd party options. Unless it's a paid feature on one, but even then its free and native on BB.
    07-22-12 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD