Future..ok let's see. How about this first. Ok, off-topic. Instead of implementing this technology and that technology bla bla bla, RIM should bloody well implement this simple little thing: push out the OS updates directly instead of through carriers!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-03-11 01:34 AM
    i full out love the keyboard on my torch, i knew i would get the torch because it offered both keyboard and touchscreen. i use my keyboard for typing longer messages, where the vkeyboard i use when i know i will be quick typing.

predictive text is for people who don't have a qwerty kb. it was good on my SE w580i.
    07-03-11 02:03 AM
    Predictive text depends on what phone you use. I love touch screen phones, my first BlackBerry was the Storm1, ever since then going back to a smaller screen was a killer. I don't think RIM will abandon the keyboard now or in the next 5 years but it's interesting to think where we'll be in 10 years.
    07-03-11 04:31 AM
    Wow. I started picking posts to reply to here, 'til I kept reading through and realized that I agree with every one of them. So just a few comments for more food for thought:

1- It's truly comforting to see that I'm not alone in my preference for a physical keyboard and the basic, solid functionality of a BlackBerry. But it makes me wonder if that's all that will ever differentiate BB, and if RIM will always have a limited target market because of it regardless of what they do with hardware and the OS.

2 - Considering #1, I'd be very curious to see exactly how many and who would jump on a touch-only BB just because it's packing QNX. I have no doubt that these phones will have kick-a$$ specs, features and performance. But realistically thinking, is QNX really going to be enough to grab market share from Apple and Android-powered device manufacturers, and ward off the possible threat of WP7 if that ever gains traction in the market?
    07-03-11 05:27 AM
    At least the paint won't rub off a virtual keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-11 06:07 AM
    I love the keyboard of on my 9700. I hate using touch screen keyboards. I love my zune with all its swiping but hate it when I use it to type on it for the internet. I hope the QNX phone will be like the Playbook with all the gestures it uses. But would hate typing on it. I will probably wait to get a QNX phone that has a keyboard. I'm sure I could get used to typing on a touch screen but I love my keyboard : )

07-03-11 06:18 AM
    At least the paint won't rub off a virtual keyboard.

At least the option exists to replace a worn down keyboard at a relatively low cost, including the ability to swap it with one of a different color. Lots cheaper than a broken touchscreen that make a device generally unusable until replaced. At least a worn keyboard still works.

daveycrocket likes this.
    07-03-11 06:35 AM
    Where do people get the idea that QNX needs to be touch or that RIMs version of QNX needs to be touch? Or am I wrong that a variation of the OS could use a keyboard?
    07-03-11 07:00 AM
    "Is Virtual keyboard The future of blackberry?"

I sure hope not. Why do so many people have the urge to touch glass? It gets so grubby. Are they "wowed" by it? Strange pathology ...

07-03-11 07:03 AM
    Where do people get the idea that QNX needs to be touch or that RIMs version of QNX needs to be touch? Or am I wrong that a variation of the OS could use a keyboard?
    I think it's that RIM said that the first QNX phone will be a touch device. I'm sure they will make a QNX with a physical keyboard.

07-03-11 07:06 AM
    Maybe a year ago or longer, a CrackBerry review of device differences pointed out that a single look at the device can establish the basic premise of a BlackBerry compared to an iPhone: The iPhone is all screen - its core function is to show you stuff. The BlackBerry is half keyboard - it's a messaging device at heart.

I think that millions and millions of BlackBerry users choose it for that reason and I doubt RIM will forsake that core functionality. RIM's touch screens are a concession to the popular market and the need to have some devices in that space. It's not their core.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    southlander and CGI like this.
    07-03-11 07:11 AM
    2 - Considering #1, I'd be very curious to see exactly how many and who would jump on a touch-only BB just because it's packing QNX.
    I'd jump to a touchscreen-only BlackBerry in a heartbeat, and it would not have to be running QNX (but NOT a Storm). After some practicing I can see that on a touchscreen device I could become as proficient as I am on my BB. In fact if the Torch was available on Verizon that is what I would have been using for the last year.

It's the way the OS works that I like.
    07-03-11 08:10 AM
    I certainly will be be waiting on a QNX bb 9900 form factor device,
    Since I plan to buy an OS7 device the bonus of RIM releasing a touch only QNX phone first is I will have no inclination to run out and buy it! Getting to enjoy my OS7 device that much longer.

07-03-11 08:17 AM
    Give me my KEYBOARD or give me DEATH!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-03-11 09:04 AM
    I hope RIM doesn't abandon the physical keyboard I used it on storm 2 and torch and they are garbbage
    + I type a lot I need physical keys

07-03-11 09:07 AM
    I have used virtual keyboards on both iPhone 4 and windows phone 7 and they both have fantastic accuracy and auto correction.
    07-03-11 01:13 PM
    I see little reason for RIM to ever decide to go all physical or all touchscreen on their devices.
    Their best bet will be to satisfy their core users you couldn't live without their physical keyboard with top of the line phones that still have a keyboard, while still introducing product lines that will appeal to a growing population of smart phone users who have grown to expect large full screen devices.
    07-03-11 03:15 PM
    The latest rumor is that the first QNX phone -- the one that has displaced a 10" PlayBook as the #1 priority -- is going to be a 4.3" 'superphone'. Not much room for a keyboard there unless it's going to be the size of a 60's-era walkie-talkie.
    07-03-11 03:23 PM
    The latest rumor is that the first QNX phone -- the one that has displaced a 10" PlayBook as the #1 priority -- is going to be a 4.3" 'superphone'. Not much room for a keyboard there unless it's going to be the size of a 60's-era walkie-talkie.
    Yep I know that, the first one. Doesn't mean they all will be.
    07-03-11 03:31 PM
    They should do 2 phones. One 9900 style for those who can't handle touch screen and one that looks like a mini playbook (swipes and all). Give them both the absolute best hardware you can get your hands on and let them loose with a really complete os. I started gravitating to virtual keyboard after using the torch for a month. But its all my opinion, if qnx doesn't get what it deserves as far as a new super phone and descent apps by 02/17/2012 I will be saying hi Loyd more then I already am.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-03-11 03:45 PM
    Maybe a year ago or longer, a CrackBerry review of device differences pointed out that a single look at the device can establish the basic premise of a BlackBerry compared to an iPhone: The iPhone is all screen - its core function is to show you stuff. The BlackBerry is half keyboard - it's a messaging device at heart.

I think that millions and millions of BlackBerry users choose it for that reason and I doubt RIM will forsake that core functionality. RIM's touch screens are a concession to the popular market and the need to have some devices in that space. It's not their core.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    With all due respect I beg to differ here. The so-called millions and millions of users apparently are not enough for RIM to maintain their profit margin. They have lost their market share because average customer today don't get excited about a qwerty phone being released. Just taking care of core customers is not going to cut it for RIM anymore and that is pretty obvious from rim's stock price. They need to generate buzz in the marketplace and that will only happen when RIM joins apple and android in making all touch and equally compelling devices. RIM's touch screen won't be concession going forward. I think it will be other way around where rim continues to make qwerty devices to cater their loyal customers who swear by a physical keyboard but the hot seat will be taken by all touch devices where most R&D dollars would be spend to win customers back from apple n android.
    07-03-11 05:10 PM
    With all due respect I beg to differ here. The so-called millions and millions of users apparently are not enough for RIM to maintain their profit margin. They have lost their market share because average customer today don't get excited about a qwerty phone being released. Just taking care of core customers is not going to cut it for RIM anymore and that is pretty obvious from rim's stock price. They need to generate buzz in the marketplace and that will only happen when RIM joins apple and android in making all touch and equally compelling devices. RIM's touch screen won't be concession going forward. I think it will be other way around where rim continues to make qwerty devices to cater their loyal customers who swear by a physical keyboard but the hot seat will be taken by all touch devices where most R&D dollars would be spend to win customers back from apple n android.

I really think you don't understand what the term profit margin means by this statement,
    RIM has very much maintained their profit margin, and actually has increased it even with it's volumes being down the last quarter,

The fact that RIM sold 13 million units last quarter without releasing a new device speaks volumes to the "millions and millions" of users who want a qwerty phone.

RIM's stock price is reflective of many things, the fact that 40million+ people a year choose RIM devices has little to do with Stock valuation
    RIM's loss of market share initially could be contributed to the market expanding faster than they could develop, AND a completely new market being lumped in with their market, as the Market for an iPhone, was different than the market for a Bold 9000 when both were new, they both were classified as smartphones, but that is the same as classifying a Ford F150 and a Chevy Aveo as cars. they served very different segments.

RIM very much still controls the keyboard device market share, and never did well in the NEW media consumption device market that has been lumped with the smartphone market.

I continue with my stance that the Blackberry QWERTY is the primary reason I am with Blackberry devices still, and the primary reason I just test the waters with other devices and don't go full commitment.

When RIM truly enters the "mini slab" market with a QNX phone, I wish all the power to them, but they best remember that only this last quarter have they lost any growth in the qwerty phone market. and that is entirely their fault for not releasing new devices!
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-03-11 at 06:46 PM.
    Ferretling likes this.
    07-03-11 06:13 PM
    Keyboard worth the trade off for a smaller screen size? I have used virtual keyboards on both iPhone 4 and windows phone 7 and they both have fantastic accuracy and auto correction.
    Submission 1A as to the fantastic accuracy of AutoCorrect. Damn You Auto Correct! - Funny iPhone Fails and Autocorrect Horror Stories

07-03-11 06:34 PM
    One has to wonder why there seems to be a lot of androids coming out with a keyboard. I guess they are just trying to attract RIM fans.
    07-03-11 06:41 PM
    The quickest way for a company to go out of business is for it to ignore its core customers. Look what happened to Palm when they released a new platform which ignored the strengths of their old platform.
    07-03-11 07:59 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD