I am thrilled to own Blackberry 8320. Love it love it love it. On Orange tariff - told fair usage policy. OMG bill came yesterday used way way over in last month and have already used 6 megabytes in 5 days - and fair usage according to Orange is 6megabytes in a month! So daren't even switch it on now. What have I done to use 6 megabytes? It's on all day, read emails, reply to a few, browsed a few minutes a day and thats it.
    Orange have now amended fair useage to 250 megabytes per month but still can't switch it on til new billing date when I get full allowance.
    So then, could I have used 6mgb in the usage I have described? I can't afford to keep it if the bills run up as they did last month.
    Grateful for help and advice
    H
    09-16-08 12:50 PM
    turn off data until the next billing cycle and partake in the new allowance.
    09-16-08 12:52 PM
    I have turned it off entirely and am too scared to turn it back on!
    Do I have to close applications each time rather than hitting switch applications? Or is it really easy to run up 6mgb?
    09-16-08 12:58 PM
    I have turned it off entirely and am too scared to turn it back on!
    Do I have to close applications each time rather than hitting switch applications? Or is it really easy to run up 6mgb?
    Are you saying 6MB or 6GB? This MGB business is throwing me off. I'm guessing your abbreviating Megabyte as MGB, but I'm not sure. Anyways, 6MB wouldn't be too hard to get to, at least for me. Make sure your programs are closed, either use the escape key to exit them, or hit the menu button, and close them that way. Just hitting the end key does not close them all of the time.
    09-16-08 01:00 PM
    thank you. I wondered if I had been browsing the web and then just switching to another programme, for example, read email if that meant the web programme continued to run and that was an issue?
    yes mgb = mb! lol
    09-16-08 01:06 PM
    E-mails could do it very fast with attachments. Also, if the sites aren't designed for mobile devices they tend to have quite a bit of data on them also.
    09-16-08 01:08 PM
    bless you
    have had more answers in 5 minutes on here than I had after 2 hours on the phone to Orange last night. They were clueless. Absolutey clueless. Roll on October 10th when I can turn it back on!
    09-16-08 01:12 PM
    bless you
    have had more answers in 5 minutes on here than I had after 2 hours on the phone to Orange last night. They were clueless. Absolutey clueless. Roll on October 10th when I can turn it back on!
    Yeah, 6MB seems pretty ridiculous to me. 250MB is ok though, you should be able to keep within that, if you watch your usage.
    09-16-08 01:24 PM
    turn on the device, go to options > mobile network and change "data services" to off.

that completely kills all data transcations on the device, allowing you to still use it for all of its other functions, including calling.

or since you have an 8320, you can just change "connection preference" to "wi-fi only" which will not allow you to surf on data, but only when connected to a wi-fi network so you can use it for free data only.

and no, leaving the browser on in the background will not allow it to keep pulling data... the browser is always on in the background whether you have a page open or not. email on the other hand is also always on, but will pull data every time a message is pushed to your device.

but if you set it to "wifi only" like i showed, it will receive email and allow browser use only if you're connected to a wifi network, stopping data consumption as far as your bill is concerned.
    09-16-08 02:06 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

If you think that is bad, consider the plight of Canadian users that are limited to 1.5 MB before the $10 Mb excess charge kicks in.

Our American friends are blessed with plenty of competition, that has resulted in the carriers actually trying to keep their business.

250 Mb will cure the problem, for all but the most data intensive users.
    09-16-08 02:47 PM
    I too am on Orange. How do you check to see how much of the 250 MB data allowance you have used? If you have applications like Viigo running and always on, are they very data-intensive? Have Viigo running with about 15 or 20 RSS feeds.
    09-16-08 03:25 PM
    Fair usage= 6 mb? That's crazy!! Almost criminal!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 05:55 PM
    Fair usage= 6 mb? That's crazy!! Almost criminal!

Yea that's just rediculous.

09-16-08 06:40 PM
    I'd cancel if I was restricted to 6mb.

09-16-08 06:45 PM
    can you get an unlimited data and email plan? that is what i have
    09-16-08 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD