I'm sitting at Starbucks right now and a spanish chick is using facetime across the room from me and she's using it on speakerphone. It's not only annoying because of the noise but also the other person can see me which is kinda weird.

Do you think videocall/facetimeing in public is acceptable?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-11 03:55 AM
    Although I can't say I've ever seen anyone using the video call feature in public, it can't be much different than someone having a conversation face to face. She wasn't trying to show it off, was she?
    05-09-11 05:19 AM
    Although I can't say I've ever seen anyone using the video call feature in public, it can't be much different than someone having a conversation face to face. She wasn't trying to show it off, was she?
    No but it was loud, I could hear the other person talking but not her. Def not showing off but very rude in my opinion.

05-09-11 05:21 AM
    I think it depends on location / usage etiquette... If someone is using it, with earphones, and noone can be seen in the background, then i believe it is acceptable, providing it is somewhere where using the phone would be acceptable...

for instance, in an airport terminal, seated up againesd a wall, using a headset, would be no different that taking a phone call, and checking emails at the same time...

on the other end of the spectrum, in a crowed waiting rooms, seated next to someone who can see the other person, and be seen, and hear everything over the speaker phone = rude, and stupid...

I had this thought the other day... not so much about video calling, but rather people who listen to music / watch videos in public places, on speaker phone / loud volume.. i find it rude and disrespectful. I personally am not interested in what you are watching, as well, if I then had to take a call, or speak to the person sitting with me, I would have all the jabber in the background...
    05-09-11 05:23 AM
    I just don't understand why anyone would bother doing a video call at a public place. It seems a little...impersonal.
    05-09-11 05:31 AM
    I wonder if the real downfall of videocalling has always been the inconvenience of carrying a headset?

05-09-11 06:03 AM
    Well, if one was planning on video calling while out and about the smart thing to do would leave a pair in a backpack, vehicle, or a pocket... Ear buds are not that cumbersome to carry around...

05-09-11 06:05 AM
    Well, if one was planning on video calling while out and about the smart thing to do would leave a pair in a backpack, vehicle, or a pocket... Ear buds are not that cumbersome to carry around...

I know but I still forget to take them most of the time, yesterday at the gym and today to work.

05-09-11 06:08 AM
    I know but I still forget to take them most of the time, yesterday at the gym and today to work.

Buy more than one pair, and leave them everywhere.... There's no excuse for bothering others with your personal affairs

05-09-11 06:11 AM
    I'm sitting at Starbucks right now and a spanish chick is using facetime across the room from me and she's using it on speakerphone. It's not only annoying because of the noise but also the other person can see me which is kinda weird.

Do you think videocall/facetimeing in public is acceptable?

Just my opinion, but I do not think that scenario is appropriate without using a headset or really being conscious of her speaker levels.

05-09-11 09:47 AM
    Tell it to these guys! lol

05-09-11 09:53 AM
    it's definitely rude when doing that in a public place and I for one would NOT want to be seen on someone elses screen especially when it's not my call. I leave a pair of earbuds in the car when I go running around. I also have a set in my gym bag as well as my laptop bag.
    05-09-11 11:52 AM
    I find it extremely rude. Even someone speaking on a speakerphone for a phone call
    in public is rude. Or being overly obnoxious without a speakerphone on.
    05-09-11 12:17 PM
    Should be same etiquette as using a speakerphone in a public place... i.e. Not Cool. Nextel and that stupid walkie talkie "I can hear the entire conversation" feature is almost dead, we don't need mobile VTC's to pick up the slack!
    05-09-11 01:59 PM
    I find it more offensive that you were in a Starbuck.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    05-09-11 02:00 PM
    I find it more offensive that you were in a Starbuck.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    Lol, can't help it, they make good coffee, I drink mine black with no sugar so you know straight away when a coffee is good or **** plus they do give free wifi.

05-09-11 02:07 PM
    Yuck on their coffee, but to each his own. ;-)

Not only do I find it rude to facetime without privacy for others and proper earbuds, I believe people do that **** to be watched. It is that ridiculous reality TV mindset of being seen and being the center of attention. Boil it down to a character flaw.

05-09-11 04:53 PM
    :0 . Starbucks has good Columbian coffee! Yes, black coffee ftw.
    05-09-11 09:24 PM
    I agree: rude and disrespectful. Time to find the most annoying song on your phone and boost up the volume while sitting right behind her. She can stop listening to your song when you get to stop listening to her conversation.
    05-09-11 10:37 PM
    If acting like an arse, then yeah I would find it offensive. If having a mild convo, I could careless....I also can care less who see's me out and about rather in real life or off a phone...
    05-10-11 03:39 AM
    Very rude to use speakerphone in public.
    On the Nextel chirpy thingie, I got in an altercation with some dude once on a commuter train in L.A., early one morning, when many of us were trying to sleep and he was loudly chirping/talking away. Conductor told him no chirpie thingie.
    On Starbucks - addicted.

05-10-11 04:02 AM
    No, not acceptable. It's like the others stated rude and not a proper thing to do. Oh, humans.
    05-10-11 04:17 AM
    This is the real reason the airlines don't let you use cell phones during flights. They don't want to have to control the violence.

There is no issue with radio interference on cell phone bands.
    05-10-11 08:01 AM
    lol
    well im not an iphone fan, RIM all the way <3
    love you bb <3 : p

but .....
    whooooooooo cares?!

wow, they can see you, its loud, oh noes
    oh noes
    oh noes
    a butterfly
    i make no sense
    a butterfly

srsly, i couldnt care less
    05-10-11 08:12 AM
    lol
    well im not an iphone fan, RIM all the way <3
    love you bb <3 : p

but .....
    whooooooooo cares?!

wow, they can see you, its loud, oh noes
    oh noes
    oh noes
    a butterfly
    i make no sense
    a butterfly

srsly, i couldnt care less
    We don't often get breaks in our busy professional and family lives, when I go to a coffee shop I want to be able to enjoy my coffee and relax, read a few pages of a book etc.

05-10-11 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD