Bad news looks like it will be a verizon exclusive just like the storm series. Sprint gets the touch screen BB shaft once again. Looks like i'll be relegated to trying out the Pre 3.
    02-19-11 08:22 AM
    Bad news looks like it will be a verizon exclusive just like the storm series. Sprint gets the touch screen BB shaft once again. Looks like i'll be relegated to trying out the Pre 3.
    Any sources to back up these claims?
    02-19-11 08:30 AM
    Some of the comments on lag are appropriate. This device is not in Waterloo. It is with VZW for testing. Nothing that early or incomplete should make it to a carrier. They should have a certain benchmark for defects and performance issues before it leaves Waterloo and they don't.

Still u just take this video as a live example of what we have only seen slides of. We won't hear this announced until May, and if VZW already is testing it than you may see it launch around the same time. That timeline makes the lake of LTE more palatable. (DX2 and D incedible S will both be 3g)

I think this also puts to bed the thoughts that 6.1 is leveraging QNX in any form.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Carriers do more than just test the software on the device. They need to make sure the radios in the device work consistently with the network. Perfectly fluid software isn't really needed for that. This OS build looks to be a BARE minimum, one that isn't even written to use the hardware in it yet, but simply for testing other aspects of the device. Remember, a device (from a carrier's point of view) isn't just how "responsive" the software is, but how well it works with the network. There are probably other teams working on the software side of things. 98% of the technologies in the leaked slides (that point toward some sort of QNX influence) is not apparent at all in the leaked video, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening all. Common now.
    02-19-11 09:10 AM
    Any sources to back up these claims?
    Yes the video that's on the home page of crackberry clearly showing the verizon software and logo on the back.
    02-19-11 10:39 AM
    Yes the video that's on the home page of crackberry clearly showing the verizon software and logo on the back.
    Yeah but that doesn't mean that Verizon is the ONLY carrier that will receive it..just means that the leaked video of the Monaco just so happens to be a Verizon-branded one.
    02-19-11 10:55 AM
    You call that source? Lmao

02-19-11 11:01 AM
    I don't think that's proof either. But I do remember when the S2 was coming out everyone was saying VZW no longer had exclusivity for it. But then they did.

But now things are different with vzw backing the iphone and android. They might not care for it. Well see.

02-19-11 11:17 AM
    What happened to all the cries of lag on the PlayBook? When the first video came out the responses were full of lagheads. Haven't seen them around much lately. There comes a point where constructive criticism turns into cries for attention. Many posters reached that point a long time ago.
    Actually, there is still some lag with the UI depending on what's running, etc. You could see it in that video a week or so ago where the black lady was demoing it. Sure, there was a lot running, but this seems to be when things gets laggy with RIM products. They pride themselves on live multitasking, but every BB I used to pick up and mess with (client's, family member, store's, etc.) that seemed laggy at first had a bunch of stuff left open and running because the users weren't OCD about closing stuff out. I dunno, just seems like the norm for their stuff. I like the way the PB does multitasking, but if they're not careful, they'll run into people that never close stuff out and have laggy devices. They should have made it dynamic where some things would be in paused states in the background instead of fully running. I just want to see what battery life will be like on it with mega apps running full tilt in the background.
    02-19-11 11:45 AM
    i dont care what anyone says this looks like the malibu not the monaco plan and simple look at the leaked slides for the malibu there indentical then look at the monaco nothing like it
    Nope. That phone in the video is much longer. You can tell it's a 3.7", even if the styling does look similar. Also with the Monaco releasing much sooner than the Malibu on the roadmap, it's more likely a Monaco.

If it was a Malibu, the images in the media player would likely fit the screen since it is the same size as the Torch/Storms. But when the media player images are shown, there is a black border around it that probably signifies the screen is too large for the software to recognize. Again, it all points to Monaco.
    02-19-11 11:45 AM
    People need to stop judging things before they're near official launch/announcement. It's not even optimized for the the size of the screen. You can see when they go into the media player.

What if I was creating a painting and got less than halfway through with it. I send a picture of my progress to a friend for critique and they post it online for the world to see. The feedback would likely be pretty crappy. I don't see a difference here.

Now if RIM were to show the same results at BB World then I would feel the same way.

With that said, I've been to an official event sponsored by RIM/Verizon to play with the Storm 9530 before it was released. The software was extremely frustrating and incomplete. I couldn't believe they were showing that to everyone publicly to create interest. It left a lot of people frustrated and uninterested. But keep in mind, it was their first touchscreen and they have come a long way since then. I think they're a little behind to their competitors but they're now at least rolling out some hardware to make up for it.

Let's give them a few months to see what their software is capable of when it is actually optimized.
    And that tell me one thing. It's a port. I've never once seen RIM build an OS from the ground up in terms of base functionality and support for a new device. All they do is take the same old wicker chair OS from another BB, edit and change some of the code around while leaving stuff behind causing continuing bugs down the line for that OS and put it on the new model. I'm no super coder, but when I used to write stuff, I would always write from the ground up for the specific application. Now I understand that you can't do that for each and every device, but RIM needs a skeletal build of an OS. A concrete build that's so basic it's just a perfected shell that they can use for each of their model builds. I don't think we're witnessing this type of development map. I hate to say it, but everyone laughs at manufactureres that make just one model of smartphone and don't offer 50 billion variants, but the benefit to that is that they can concentrate on perfecting the OS code. Ask any BB developer and they'll tell you why they've stopped writing BB apps. The OS's are so fragmented from build to build and from model to model it's almost impossible to write the app once and export it for each model and expect it to work as intended. They have to spend extra time tweeking each variant for each model they plan on the app supporting. That's a big red flag on just how stable and streamlined the BBOS is.
    02-19-11 11:56 AM
    And that tell me one thing. It's a port. I've never once seen RIM build an OS from the ground up in terms of base functionality and support for a new device. All they do is take the same old wicker chair OS from another BB, edit and change some of the code around while leaving stuff behind causing continuing bugs down the line for that OS and put it on the new model. I'm no super coder, but when I used to write stuff, I would always write from the ground up for the specific application. Now I understand that you can't do that for each and every device, but RIM needs a skeletal build of an OS. A concrete build that's so basic it's just a perfected shell that they can use for each of their model builds. I don't think we're witnessing this type of development map. I hate to say it, but everyone laughs at manufactureres that make just one model of smartphone and don't offer 50 billion variants, but the benefit to that is that they can concentrate on perfecting the OS code. Ask any BB developer and they'll tell you why they've stopped writing BB apps. The OS's are so fragmented from build to build and from model to model it's almost impossible to write the app once and export it for each model and expect it to work as intended. They have to spend extra time tweeking each variant for each model they plan on the app supporting. That's a big red flag on just how stable and streamlined the BBOS is.
    RIM definitely doesn't have the most fragmented OS on the market. Android holds that crown. As for BlackBerry's, this will not be an issue with QNX. Which is what RIM is moving towards for all devices.
    As for the PlayBook and the supposed lag you saw during the demo, try doing the exact same thing on your i4 and let me know how that works for ya. It won't. And the PlayBook isn't on the market like the i4. The PlayBook won't have any multi-tasking issues when launched. Can you make it lag? Of course, but that goes for anything. And people aren't going to have to be OCD about closing apps because fear of lag.

6.1 will be fine upon release. There's been no major bugs upon release of any OS6 device. And 6.1 will improve upon this. QNX will be fantastic.
    Machzy, Bobcat665 and sf49ers like this.
    02-19-11 12:11 PM
    I know its not the greatest video ever, but to me, the screen didn't exactly look like the high res screen that the monaco is supposed to have. Looks like the current 360x480 setup.

EDIT: could that be because the OS hasn't been scaled to the new screen?
    Last edited by Snipperdo17; 02-19-11 at 12:21 PM.
    02-19-11 12:16 PM
    RIM definitely doesn't have the most fragmented OS on the market. Android holds that crown. As for BlackBerry's, this will not be an issue with QNX. Which is what RIM is moving towards for all devices.
    As for the PlayBook and the supposed lag you saw during the demo, try doing the exact same thing on your i4 and let me know how that works for ya. It won't. And the PlayBook isn't on the market like the i4. The PlayBook won't have any multi-tasking issues when launched. Can you make it lag? Of course, but that goes for anything. And people aren't going to have to be OCD about closing apps because fear of lag.

6.1 will be fine upon release. There's been no major bugs upon release of any OS6 device. And 6.1 will improve upon this. QNX will be fantastic.
    Maybe I used the wrong term. I didn't mean fragmented in terms of there being no similarity of the OS from device to device (I agree with you, Android is horrible on that and one of the reasons I don't like it), but fragmented in terms of unclean feel of the OS core. It's hard to put into words, but I've always felt like BBOS is like a dam with leaks. You fix one small drip and another pops up. It felt like "Oh, hey, thanks for fixing that bug finally... bad news though, when you did that, this other one was introduced." It's almost like the coders cannot see past what's just in front of them. They can't dynamically think ahead and say "If we change this, what are the possbilities and effects of the fix on the rest of the affected areas of this particular subsystem." I dunno, maybe they do, but it felt like they didn't. I've seem app developers take in requests for fixing issues or adding features and they know exactly the portion of code that's causing the issue or that needs to be changed/added to add a feature and how it'll impact the rest of the app. I've never seen an app developer (the good ones) fix one thing and cause other things to break. Now, granted, an app is nowhere as complex in code as an OS, but the core pricipals are the same. So, RIM's fault on this is either poor coder team leadership, support, or knowledge on an individual basis. Too many hands in the cookie jar and some aren't as clean as others, if you will.
    02-19-11 12:46 PM
    I know its not the greatest video ever, but to me, the screen didn't exactly look like the high res screen that the monaco is supposed to have. Looks like the current 360x480 setup.

EDIT: could that be because the OS hasn't been scaled to the new screen?
    Yeah that's what we've mentioned a few times in this thread. Keep up! jk
    I can't wait to see how it looks when it is actually optimized for that screen.

184 DPI (Storm 1/2) vs 253 DPI (Storm 3) is a huge upgrade. Type should look more clear and images will be sharper, while adding more screen estate. Win win win.

My main concern is that they actually live up to what the slides have been mentioning as far as latency and liquid graphics. I remember they use to mention Open GL for the 9550 as a big feature but it never really benefited since all BBs weren't capable of it.

Most of the new 6.1 BBs on the roadmap mention Open GL capabilities. Hopefully, now that they are more uniform relating to this, they will actually emphasize on this more and bring an improved UI. It can have the same layout, but more fluidity and speed would really give a better impression IMO.

One can dream....
    02-19-11 01:13 PM
    CX. Was it a monaco or malibu please any clues at all
    02-19-11 03:17 PM
    CX. Was it a monaco or malibu please any clues at all
    trust me. its a monaco. 100% not a malibu. whatever you want to call it, it's not 3.2". It's definitely larger.
    02-19-11 03:18 PM
    trust me. its a monaco. 100% not a malibu. whatever you want to call it, it's not 3.2". It's definitely larger.
    DEFINITELY a Monaco. The specs on the Malibu pretty much make the Malibu a 9570/Storm2/Storm1 form factor. Same screen, same screen pixel dimensions. And there is a VERY noticeable difference between the Monaco and those devices. It is very apparent in the video as well. Not sure where the doubt of this being a Monaco is coming from.

Edit: Not towards you, Cam. Just quoted you for re-inforcement.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 02-19-11 at 03:23 PM.
    02-19-11 03:21 PM
    Hey check out the pics of the bold touch just released

02-19-11 03:21 PM
    this is what I was talking about. The updated specs showed physical buttons on the bottom. If that was wrong, then the monaco is what we see in the video.No front facing camera though. And I highly doubt that it will have it. The first image of this device came out almost a year ago with that leaked photo we all remember with the guy and his thumb ring. And nothing has changed since then in the look. We all thought it was possible that the M sticker over the top right was possibly the front facing camera, and it may have just been a cover up for the LED for one reason or another.

And since this phone was in the works for so long, I can see why it wouldnt have that front camera or even LTE or that matter. RIM has a reputation for not thinking ahead. And considering that their new device time frame is so long in the making, thinking ahead seems to be something critical they need to adopt.

I hate to be grim about it but thats the mindset RIM has given me and many many others. Its a nice looking device from a design standpoint. But without LTE or that frontal camera, I dont see how a 2nd or 3rd quarter release is keeping up with competition. I'm trying, I'm really trying. And I'm going to hold out till this years outcome before I switch to give them a chance. If I feel they havent learned anything, I'm keeping my Bold until the iphone 5 comes to VZW
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-19-11 at 03:29 PM.
    02-19-11 03:25 PM
    DEFINITELY a Monaco. The specs on the Malibu pretty much make the Malibu a 9570/Storm2/Storm1 form factor. Same screen, same screen pixel dimensions. And there is a VERY noticeable difference between the Monaco and those devices. It is very apparent in the video as well. Not sure where the doubt of this being a Monaco is coming from.

Edit: Not towards you, Cam. Just quoted you for re-inforcement.
    Yep exactly. We're always on the same page buddy. Original Storm 1/2 users! LOL .....
    02-19-11 03:34 PM
    this is what I was talking about. The updated specs showed physical buttons on the bottom. If that was wrong, then the monaco is what we see in the video.No front facing camera though. And I highly doubt that it will have it. The first image of this device came out almost a year ago with that leaked photo we all remember with the guy and his thumb ring. And nothing has changed since then in the look. We all thought it was possible that the M sticker over the top right was possibly the front facing camera, and it may have just been a cover up for the LED for one reason or another.

And since this phone was in the works for so long, I can see why it wouldnt have that front camera or even LTE or that matter. RIM has a reputation for not thinking ahead. And considering that their new device time frame is so long in the making, thinking ahead seems to be something critical they need to adopt.

I hate to be grim about it but thats the mindset RIM has given me and many many others. Its a nice looking device from a design standpoint. But without LTE or that frontal camera, I dont see how a 2nd or 3rd quarter release is keeping up with competition. I'm trying, I'm really trying. And I'm going to hold out till this years outcome before I switch to give them a chance. If I feel they havent learned anything, I'm keeping my Bold until the iphone 5 comes to VZW
    I think you make some fair arguments. I wish they had front cams too. Maybe its a way for them to get people to purchase the Playbook? I'm not as bummed since I'm getting a Playbook. I'm falling for their plan lol. Most of the time, you don't see 3G phones with front cams anyways. The exceptions are the iphone 4 and likely the new HP Pre 3. It would be nice to have to use over wifi but definitely not my priority.

Using video chat likely kills your battery on the go anyways. I'd probably be locked to a wall with it plugged in. In that instance, I would just use my laptop or Playbook for the larger screen. Does that make sense? Just my opinion/justification though.

Again, more is better and it would be nice to at least have it on there though.
    02-19-11 03:39 PM
    I am excited about this because I do love my original storm 1, and this obviously will blow it away!!!! My only thing is as much as I like and use my phone as soon as I bought it, it was dated. As nice as the specs are for the Monaco they are already dated!!! I don't wanna get locked into a phone again that instantly feels like its been surpassed. Forgive me for being so skeptical but as much as I've been here for the past year and a half I've never seen anything groundbreaking released. I guess ill just have to see what's out in July when contract is up and wait for leaks to see if the Monaco can make me hold off. I think I am sucked into BB as a whole so I will stay, even if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

02-19-11 08:43 PM
    I am excited about this because I do love my original storm 1, and this obviously will blow it away!!!! My only thing is as much as I like and use my phone as soon as I bought it, it was dated. As nice as the specs are for the Monaco they are already dated!!! I don't wanna get locked into a phone again that instantly feels like its been surpassed. Forgive me for being so skeptical but as much as I've been here for the past year and a half I've never seen anything groundbreaking released. I guess ill just have to see what's out in July when contract is up and wait for leaks to see if the Monaco can make me hold off. I think I am sucked into BB as a whole so I will stay, even if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I think it's completely understandable that you feel that way. I think the same way. I just don't think it's necessarily outdated in hardware. The software might make it feel lacking if it's anything like 5.0-6.0. The camera @ 5MP with HD video recording will be one of the best imo. (The android cameras just don't compare to me, even with 8MP and I think it will be comparable to the iphone 4). The processor @ 1.2GHz is definitely up there, even if it's not dual core. The webkit browser will likely perform very well with the increased power.

I don't think it will be anything groundbreaking but definitely disagree with anyone that says it's outdated. Again, the main concern for people is the software. I hope they have made some great improvements here.
    02-19-11 10:38 PM
    Actually, there is still some lag with the UI depending on what's running, etc. You could see it in that video a week or so ago where the black lady was demoing it. Sure, there was a lot running, but this seems to be when things gets laggy with RIM products. They pride themselves on live multitasking, but every BB I used to pick up and mess with (client's, family member, store's, etc.) that seemed laggy at first had a bunch of stuff left open and running because the users weren't OCD about closing stuff out. I dunno, just seems like the norm for their stuff. I like the way the PB does multitasking, but if they're not careful, they'll run into people that never close stuff out and have laggy devices. They should have made it dynamic where some things would be in paused states in the background instead of fully running. I just want to see what battery life will be like on it with mega apps running full tilt in the background.
    On playbook there are options to enable and disable real mutli-tasking (option is called "all singing and dancing"), if the option is disabled then the mutli-tasking is a mere app switcher like in the iPad, by default I think this option will come disabled for the exact reason that you highlighted.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 02-20-11 at 12:06 AM.
    02-19-11 11:28 PM
    I think the software isn't gonna be anything groundbreaking with 6.1, but I think mainly it will be a speed boost.
    02-19-11 11:34 PM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD