I'm willing to bet that, not much change from the build in the video and the final build....Rim's motto should be "change we don't believe in".....Laggy software is laughable in 2011....I want to see rim succeed, but c'mon enough is enough........
    So you assume the worst. I suppose I both hope and think you're wrong in your assumption. Laggy software is unfortunately common in 2011. I have been dealing with it on the galaxy s for a couple months now, my gf bought one and I have had to baby that sucker and return it 3 times for a new one. I just feel like your take is melodramatic.
    02-18-11 11:30 PM
    It's an unreleased device in testing. You're whining.
    She has a point, it's sad when the official release is just as bad as the beta software...(c) torch launch, bold9000,storm....etc
    02-18-11 11:32 PM
    She has a point, it's sad when the official release is just as bad as the beta software...(c) torch launch, bold9000,storm....etc
    What happened to all the cries of lag on the PlayBook? When the first video came out the responses were full of lagheads. Haven't seen them around much lately. There comes a point where constructive criticism turns into cries for attention. Many posters reached that point a long time ago.
    02-18-11 11:34 PM
    What happened to all the cries of lag on the PlayBook? When the first video came out the responses were full of lagheads. Haven't seen them around much lately. There comes a point where constructive criticism turns into cries for attention. Many posters reached that point a long time ago.
    Complaints about OS are justified on this device because it is just a "upgrade" to the OS6 and has nothing to do with QNX OS used on the Playbook, I will be worried about OS made by RIM until we get new devices with the QNX OS on them.
    02-18-11 11:39 PM
    if we're talking about the photo that came out last summer then yes but the latest pics that came out do not look exactly alike the device on this video. The latest pictures show's the monaco having 4 physical keyboards, which this device does not, I personally hope this is the actual Monaco and they never planned on having physical keyboards but I'm still not confident that it is the Monaco.
    I think this IS the Monaco. I don't know why that leaked slide had 4 protruding/physical buttons, but if you look at another image on the same set of slides, it has a flush set of buttons like the one we're seeing now. Here's the image of the physical protruding buttons many of you are talking about.

IMO, it's not characteristic of RIMs usual styling. Most devices you see from them have the seamless, connected buttons that give it the appearance of a touch surface with a button underneath. I think they are staying true to it except now their new styling gets rid of the colored call/end buttons and keeps them all white.

Here's another image of the same set of slides with flush buttons. The fact that they have an inconsistency in their images just screams that they are incorrect. Also, this one has the colored buttons like we're used to on the currently released devices. Again, they will probably be white instead.

Now the following is what I believe they will look like in the final product. It even stays consistent to the video we're seeing.

Sorry to go into such detail but I hope that cleared things up.

Oh and FIY, it's not the Curve Touch in the video. You can tell the appearance is much longer.
    Midnight Barbecue likes this.
    02-18-11 11:41 PM
    ^^^True, that's besides the point. We are talking about R.I.M's track record when it comes to releasing smart phones. Name the last R.I.M device that launched with a decent OS build? Don't worry i'll wait...
    02-18-11 11:48 PM
    ^^^True, that's besides the point. We are talking about R.I.M's track record when it comes to releasing smart phones. Name the last R.I.M device that launched with a decent OS build? Don't worry i'll wait...
    When I bought the 9700 in November of 2009 the OS was rock solid and my current OS 6 is fantastic. So what are you talking about?
    02-18-11 11:54 PM
    Yeah it's true. There is always something broken with their launch devices. But we see the same thing on other devices. They all need to be updated. Look at the Samsung Galaxy phones. They sold more than 10 million altogether but most of them didn't even have a fully working GPS. There was an uproar from their userbase to release an update and many swear they will never buy another Samsung again.

I think RIM is getting better over time. The Storm 1 was horrendous when it first released. There were so many issues on that software since it was their introduction to a touch based experience based on their traditional BBOS. The Storm 2 released and had some issues, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Storm 1.

Torch came out and was pretty good at launch. Even with the small problems it had, they updated it pretty fast and are continuing to do so. Their touch software was always lacking but they're making improvements. I can only imagine their new handsets will be much improved. Especially when we know their flagship qwerty now has evolved to even have touch gestures (Dakota/Montana).
    howarmat likes this.
    02-18-11 11:55 PM
    No problems here, my torch is solid and runs everything I need and than some.

Last edited by espresso1967; 02-18-11 at 11:57 PM.
    02-18-11 11:55 PM
    That UI is just so god awful, its a waste of actually decent hardware.
    02-18-11 11:56 PM
    When I bought the 9700 in November of 2009 the OS was rock solid and my current OS 6 is fantastic. So what are you talking about?
    ^^^Forget it, i see that R.I.M is perfect in your eyes...lol...Os6 is a nice improvement, although i find the tabs useless and annoying.
    02-18-11 11:59 PM
    Yeah it's true. There is always something broken with their launch devices. But we see the same thing on other devices. They all need to be updated. Look at the Samsung Galaxy phones. They sold more than 10 million altogether but most of them didn't even have a fully working GPS. There was an uproar from their userbase to release an update and many swear they will never buy another Samsung again.

I think RIM is getting better over time. The Storm 1 was horrendous when it first released. There were so many issues on that software since it was their introduction to a touch based experience based on their traditional BBOS. The Storm 2 released and had some issues, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Storm 1.

Torch came out and was pretty good at launch. Even with the small problems it had, they updated it pretty fast and are continuing to do so. Their touch software was always lacking but they're making improvements. I can only imagine their new handsets will be much improved. Especially when we know their flagship qwerty now has evolved to even have touch gestures (Dakota/Montana).
    I can agree with this statement.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    02-19-11 12:01 AM
    ^^^Forget it, i see that R.I.M is perfect in your eyes...lol...Os6 is a nice improvement, although i find the tabs useless and annoying.
    You see things in extremes. I'm not saying anything is perfect and I'm not saying it is awful either. Android and ios have their own issues. I'm just saying the extremes are melodrama and I'm not into it. I'd rather discuss it without all the hyperbole.
    Machzy likes this.
    02-19-11 12:06 AM
    People need to stop judging things before they're near official launch/announcement. It's not even optimized for the the size of the screen. You can see when they go into the media player.

What if I was creating a painting and got less than halfway through with it. I send a picture of my progress to a friend for critique and they post it online for the world to see. The feedback would likely be pretty crappy. I don't see a difference here.

Now if RIM were to show the same results at BB World then I would feel the same way.

With that said, I've been to an official event sponsored by RIM/Verizon to play with the Storm 9530 before it was released. The software was extremely frustrating and incomplete. I couldn't believe they were showing that to everyone publicly to create interest. It left a lot of people frustrated and uninterested. But keep in mind, it was their first touchscreen and they have come a long way since then. I think they're a little behind to their competitors but they're now at least rolling out some hardware to make up for it.

Let's give them a few months to see what their software is capable of when it is actually optimized.
    02-19-11 12:06 AM
    People need to stop judging things before they're near official launch/announcement. It's not even optimized for the the size of the screen. You can see when they go into the media player.

What if I was creating a painting and got less than halfway through with it. I send a picture of my progress to a friend for critique and they post it online for the world to see. The feedback would likely be pretty crappy. I don't see a difference here.

Now if RIM were to show the same results at BB World then I would feel the same way.

With that said, I've been to an official event sponsored by RIM/Verizon to play with the Storm 9530 before it was released. The software was extremely frustrating and incomplete. I couldn't believe they were showing that to everyone publicly to create interest. It left a lot of people frustrated and uninterested. But keep in mind, it was their first touchscreen and they have come a long way since then. I think they're a little behind to their competitors but they're now at least rolling out some hardware to make up for it.

Let's give them a few months to see what their software is capable of when it is actually optimized.
    That's the thing...People always use this excuse when it comes to defending R.I.M's software. Now watch if the device launch with muffed up software, people are going to start saying wait till the 75th build release out or wait til so and so remix the Os. Lately it seems R.I.M would start building software then stop at 65-70% and say hey, let's release this to the public.
    02-19-11 12:13 AM
    I gotcha. It's true. The only thing is that usually the software is at least intended for that device. This one isn't even optimized to utilize the hardware it's got. This is the biggest departure in hardware that I've seen in awhile from them. Processing power is nearly doubled and the screen size and resolution has been pretty drastically increased. We don't know what else the next gen Qualcomm chipset it uses can offer either. They may not have been tapped into.
    02-19-11 12:24 AM
    Well let's hope that QNX will change all this in the next generation of blackberries.

That's the thing...People always use this excuse when it comes to defending R.I.M's software. Now watch if the device launch with muffed up software, people are going to start saying wait till the 75th build release out or wait til so and so remix the Os. Lately it seems R.I.M would start building software then stop at 65-70% and say hey, let's release this to the public.
    02-19-11 12:26 AM
    Well let's hope that QNX will change all this in the next generation of blackberries.
    Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to QNX devices.
    02-19-11 12:45 AM
    if they can get it running like we have seen on the playbook, I think things can turn around for rimm and for us of course, we are the end users.

Oh and let us not forget about TAT and see what they can do as well.
    02-19-11 01:01 AM
    i dont care what anyone says this looks like the malibu not the monaco plan and simple look at the leaked slides for the malibu there indentical then look at the monaco nothing like it
    02-19-11 06:29 AM
    and for all the people who think there smart and question the lag well then your eally not that smart i guess!!!!!!!!!
    02-19-11 06:30 AM
    That UI is just so god awful, its a waste of actually decent hardware.
    That is completely your opinion

I really enjoy the UI of Blackberry, OS6 in particular, could use a slight bit of polish, but not too much to change it,

All I would like to see it a snappier UI, and I'm with Civic on this one and lag, they are building on top of OS6.0 I would expect ATLEAST the same responsiveness my torch gets from this video with hardware as stated in the leak,
    I will be very disappointed if this ships a'la Torch and is Buggy in the US and waits for a stable build before shipping in Canada.
    02-19-11 06:43 AM
    Some of the comments on lag are appropriate. This device is not in Waterloo. It is with VZW for testing. Nothing that early or incomplete should make it to a carrier. They should have a certain benchmark for defects and performance issues before it leaves Waterloo and they don't.

Still u just take this video as a live example of what we have only seen slides of. We won't hear this announced until May, and if VZW already is testing it than you may see it launch around the same time. That timeline makes the lake of LTE more palatable. (DX2 and D incedible S will both be 3g)

I think this also puts to bed the thoughts that 6.1 is leveraging QNX in any form.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat likes this.
    02-19-11 07:40 AM
    I don't agree with you hits at all yes it seems laggy but I will bet my first born that the os on it is just a partial os think about it the current os on the torch is pretty snappy there's no way this phone with the specs we've been told with the Qnx group not saying it jaw qnx but its all rim now and tat that this phone will be hot weather its a monaco or Malibu that I'm still not convinced
    02-19-11 07:49 AM
    I can't believe you guys are even thinking that this thing would ship with something like that I know what's happend in the past but the past is past there is a bright future and these upcommimg devices will be the start
    02-19-11 07:53 AM
112 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD