Back in late November, I purchased a new red BlackBerry Passport for $762 (including taxes) from the ShopBlackBerry store. Very soon after, I noticed from CrackBerry that the price of the Passport was reduced by over $100. I call Digital River to get an adjustment, and they tell me that they don't have the authority to do that. So, I contact Marie at BlackBerry, the person who handled Passport fiasco so wonderfully for me, for assistance. I get an email back saying that they no longer do adjustments, but that I can return the item for a full refund, and order again. Fair enough.

I open a return request and mail the phone back as instructed, with signature confirmation just to be sure. Two days later, it reaches their warehouse in Indiana. They said it would take 5-7 days for the refund, so I wait. 10 days later, and I had still not recieved my refund. So I decide to call them again, and here is where it gets really interesting.

The rep from Digital River tells me that she will create a ticket and investigate why I have not recieved my refund. It will take 2-3 days. Suspicious that she's just telling me what I want to hear, I begrudgingly accept and hang up. Not 10 minutes later, I receive an email from BlackBerry that my order of the red Passport has shipped! So, somehow in their wisdom, Digital River not only misread where I had printed "RMA #XXX" in big letters on two sides of the box, they misread the order information and sent the phone back to me. Such incompetance!

I call them back immeadiately. I am told that it was a mistake, but that I should wait for it to be delivered back to me, and then refuse acceptance of the package. Unacceptable! At the very least, they should place a package intercept request and turn it around before it reaches me. In the end, I'm the one that calls FedEx and tells them I will not accept the package and that they will need to send it back. I am then told by Digital River that it will take 5-7 days from receipt of the phone to give me my refund. At this point I am very angry, but wait, there's more!

This morning I log into my credit card account and notice that I have been charged yet again for the same red Passport that I wanted to return! So instead of receiving the refund that I wanted from BlackBerry, I have been charged over $1500, and the phone is in limbo. I call Digital River again (yes I know, I'm a glutton for punishment). They tell me there is nothing they can do about the $1500 until they receive the phone. And it will take days to receive my refund. I ask for someone who is authorized to refund me the amount now; apparently this office is closed on weekends. Out of remorse I assume, the rep tells me that I should just do a chargeback for the full amount with my credit card company.

At this point I'm going to rant about Digital River's terrible service. You may stop reading now if you want to comment or give me advice. Thanks!

I have have been a long-time BlackBerry owner (since the RIM 850), and I have nothing but respect for the company and its products. However, their choice in continuing to use Digital River has tarnished the company's image in my eyes. I have never before experienced such terrible customer service in my life, and I have been through some crazy experiences. They never admit wrong-doing or fault, unless you press them for it. Apology is a foreign concept to them. When they get rattled or confused, they will get curt, hang up on you, or place you on perpetual hold. And if you have more than one order with them, forget about tracking everything or looking at your order history. Their system is so disorganized it will take them forever to sort through it. They might as well write things down on scraps of paper.

If I had a choice, I would use Amazon and never look back. However, I order phones for work, and am unable to step away (for now). I could keep going but I'm going to end it here: BlackBerry should switch to a different order fufillment company.

Update:
    After my credit card company refunded me the second charge, they told me that they were sure Digital River would handle the rest of the refund promptly. Sure enough, I received the second refund from Digital River. However, upon checking my account today, the amount of the refund was for $652.91, the price of a discounted red Passport (roughly $599.99 + tax). Digital River said they will investigate. LOL! All I can do is laugh at this point.
    Last edited by Jaguarandine; 02-03-15 at 01:10 PM.
    vpblaze likes this.
    01-24-15 02:19 PM
    People just need to stop ordering from DR. They are horrible to deal with and their customer service is a joke.
    01-24-15 03:14 PM
    digital river is a plague upon Blackberry users, a petition to Chen to have digital river placed in a medical refuse burn bag is in order

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-24-15 05:07 PM
    I went through something similar as OP. After the run around I just called Amex and had them refund the amount. I provided Amex the tracking number, the proof of delivery to Blackberry and signed, packing slip of what I shipped, the RMA/order number and the original purchase receipt.
    Within 2 minutes of providing that, Amex credited my card for the full amount including shipping. Amex rep stated they will deal with digital river themselves and they will contact me if they need any further information

Still debating whether to order another red one from digital river or stick with my Z30. Original return was because of issues in the physical build of phone.

Great to have credit card coverage and of the big three Amex has been the easiest to deal with.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-24-15 05:15 PM
    All that headache to try and get back $100. Was it worth it.
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-24-15 07:47 PM
    Lol, I won't go in and tell you what you should have done, just what I did.

I pre-ordered 2 Classics through shopBB/ digital river the second they went on sale for pre-order in Nov. Fast-forward a month and a half later(2 wks after launch), no phones! I swiftly called my bank to let them know I haven't received my items I paid for, got my money back 24hrs after that call! Re-ordered through Amazon w/ free 2 day shipping. Got my (Amazon)BB Classics 2 days later...

2 days after that the shopBB phones finally showed up! I kindly refused the package, and washed my hand of Digital River. I will NEVER ORDER A PHONE FROM SHOPBB AGAIN! But I damn sure took that free "apology" case they sent! Lesson learned..stick with local retailers or amazon!

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    Bonnie Bonzai and Tabdus like this.
    01-24-15 09:37 PM
    Way to go.. good job

From Classic
    01-24-15 10:20 PM
    Digital river has been one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. BlackBerry needs to stop dealing with them asap.

Posted via CB10
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    01-24-15 10:25 PM
    All that headache to try and get back $100. Was it worth it.
    I bet it wasn't worth it for him. It's sad that someone as to go through this much just to get a price difference.

Any other place would just easily match the price difference for you. You think a company called Digital River would be a little more fluid with tech and be aboe to figure out how to do a price match over the phone...

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:25 PM
    I appreciate everyone's advice and support! I'm currently working out the situation with my credit card company, and hopefully I will be able to get my money back soon.

To those wondering, no way was this extra trouble worth $100. The irony is, the sale that they had on the red Passport is now over. I decided to order from Amazon to fulfill my order.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:12 AM
    Definitely you need to get in touch with your credit card company after the $750 fraudulent account charge. Your credit card company will have this resolved in a timely matter.
    01-25-15 10:19 AM
    I won't go into my own horror story with Digital River, but will just confirm to those who are thinking about ordering from them, that these stories are for real.

The problem, going forward, is that Amazon doesn't seem to get the same sales that shopblackberry.com gets. So you either roll the dice with DR or you pay more (sometimes a lot more!) at Amazon.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    01-25-15 11:54 AM
    I won't go into my own horror story with Digital River, but will just confirm to those who are thinking about ordering from them, that these stories are for real.

The problem, going forward, is that Amazon doesn't seem to get the same sales that shopblackberry.com gets. So you either roll the dice with DR or you pay more (sometimes a lot more!) at Amazon.

Not sure about other people, but my Amazon Classic was and still is the exact same price as shopBB. Amazon sold out like 3x but they still managed to get all the devices out before DR..and offered 1/2 day shipping! Those of us w/ Amazon Prime got the 2 day shipping free! My order with tax @ Amazon, ended up CHEAPER THAN SHOPBB!

01-25-15 02:02 PM
    I've had my issues with them too! You'd think with so many bad complaints BlackBerry would hold their vendor accountable / fire them or something.

Digital River should be renamed Cess Pool because it's a shltty outfit do deal with!

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    01-25-15 02:11 PM
    I purchased a second Z30 in July, but ended up refusing the package for a refund of $399.00 because we no longer needed the second Z30.

Guess what just now popped up in my bank account-today??? My refund for $399.00.

Worst customer service I have ever encountered.
    Got my money back after 6 months. Wow. Just wow....
    What a joke!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 02:46 PM
    I purchased a second Z30 in July, but ended up refusing the package for a refund of $399.00 because we no longer needed the second Z30.

Guess what just now popped up in my bank account-today??? My refund for $399.00.

Worst customer service I have ever encountered.
    Got my money back after 6 months. Wow. Just wow....
    What a joke!

Posted via CB10
    Another lesson learned..always go through your bank first for your refund!

01-25-15 04:59 PM
    I bet it wasn't worth it for him. It's sad that someone as to go through this much just to get a price difference.

Any other place would just easily match the price difference for you. You think a company called Digital River would be a little more fluid with tech and be aboe to figure out how to do a price match over the phone...

Posted via CB10
    The suggestion by the rep to send it back and order a new one is pretty ridiculous.

If it all had worked out they would have lost $100, paid for shipping twice (?) and ended up with a used device (which they probably would have tried to push through the funky 'returns center' in that town and sell it to someone else...? Are these stories true...?) plus the hassle of taking the call and the administrative effort. I don't think this is smart. Refunding a straight $100 is smarter...

:-D

�   Happy Australia Day 2015 - come and visit, mate...!   �
    01-25-15 05:09 PM
    Lol, I won't go in and tell you what you should have done, just what I did.

I pre-ordered 2 Classics through shopBB/ digital river the second they went on sale for pre-order in Nov. Fast-forward a month and a half later(2 wks after launch), no phones! I swiftly called my bank to let them know I haven't received my items I paid for, got my money back 24hrs after that call! Re-ordered through Amazon w/ free 2 day shipping. Got my (Amazon)BB Classics 2 days later...

2 days after that the shopBB phones finally showed up! I kindly refused the package, and washed my hand of Digital River. I will NEVER ORDER A PHONE FROM SHOPBB AGAIN! But I damn sure took that free "apology" case they sent! Lesson learned..stick with local retailers or amazon!

So you got your refund with the bank, and the phones still showed up?

B-)

I'm a not advocating dishonesty ("... Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." -Mark 10:19), but for curiosity's sake it would have been interesting what would have happened if you had accepted the phones (and maybe signed with a 'phoney' signature, then later- in the worst case - the claimed 'you never received them...')

If it takes them several months to issue a refund (just imagine all the interest on $800 bux @20% for half a year - $80, so nearly a hundred!), would this ever have been flagged in their system ...?

As I said, just for curiosity's sake I'd like to know how much they have their order process under control if they are "on the receiving end" of a bad transaction, not to take advantage and commit fraud of any kind. John Chen, please fix this mess...

01-25-15 05:21 PM
    The suggestion by the rep to send it back and order a new one is pretty ridiculous.

If it all had worked out they would have lost $100, paid for shipping twice (?) and ended up with a used device (which they probably would have tried to push through the funky 'returns center' in that town and sell it to someone else...? Are these stories true...?) plus the hassle of taking the call and the administrative effort. I don't think this is smart. Refunding a straight $100 is smarter...

I'm guessing that they are hoping you will not want to go through the hassle of returning it + reordering it, and just keep it instead (at the higher price).

01-25-15 11:52 PM
    Not sure about other people, but my Amazon Classic was and still is the exact same price as shopBB. Amazon sold out like 3x but they still managed to get all the devices out before DR..and offered 1/2 day shipping! Those of us w/ Amazon Prime got the 2 day shipping free! My order with tax @ Amazon, ended up CHEAPER THAN SHOPBB!

I was just talking about BlackBerry's sales that they have every so often (e.g.: when they sold the Z30 for $225 USD). *Usually* (e.g.: outside of special BlackBerry sales) Amazon seems to be as good or better than shopblackberry.com (as you said).

01-26-15 12:00 AM
    The problem with Digital River is not Digital River, but that people expect a higher level of service from them than they provide. You cannot assume they offer the same service and policies as some of the more efficient online retailers like Amazon. If you read all the terms and conditions on the Digital River web site, it is clear how they work and that returns and refunds are not that easy to do.

Note that if you refuse a package, and it gets stuck in Customs going back to Digital River, they say it is your responsibility and they reserve the option to refuse at their end if they get charged duty for the return. They have the option to abandon it in Customs and not refund your money. This is why if you are not in the USA, you are better off signing for the package and then going through the RMA process to ship it back. I am sure the clause is for lower value items that they would rather have you destroy than ship back, but could be used if a refused Passport delivery gets lost in customs on the way back. The RMA process will ensure proper return customs paperwork.

I have purchased a few things from them, including a Passport. After the PlayBook fiasco a few years back, I learned, put in the order, eventually it will come. Some will get lucky and get the item quickly, others may have to wait a bit. If the price is right, you are have patience to wait and you don't think you will be returning the phone, Digital River is still a good choice for some, especially Canadians and other non US customers that may not have access to these phones on Amazon.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    01-26-15 07:30 AM
    The problem with Digital River is not Digital River, but that people expect a higher level of service from them than they provide. You cannot assume they offer the same service and policies as some of the more efficient online retailers like Amazon. If you read all the terms and conditions on the Digital River web site, it is clear how they work and that returns and refunds are not that easy to do.

Note that if you refuse a package, and it gets stuck in Customs going back to Digital River, they say it is your responsibility and they reserve the option to refuse at their end if they get charged duty for the return. They have the option to abandon it in Customs and not refund your money. This is why if you are not in the USA, you are better off signing for the package and then going through the RMA process to ship it back. I am sure the clause is for lower value items that they would rather have you destroy than ship back, but could be used if a refused Passport delivery gets lost in customs on the way back. The RMA process will ensure proper return customs paperwork.

I have purchased a few things from them, including a Passport. After the PlayBook fiasco a few years back, I learned, put in the order, eventually it will come. Some will get lucky and get the item quickly, others may have to wait a bit. If the price is right, you are have patience to wait and you don't think you will be returning the phone, Digital River is still a good choice for some, especially Canadians and other non US customers that may not have access to these phones on Amazon.
    You sound like a fool to the rest of us that have had a bad experience with DR. 1hy would you keep dealing with a company thet screws people over. There should be no guessing games as to when I receive my product I paid almost $1000 for! I live in the US, and I wasn't expecting some extra ordinary experience. I was expecting to have my items I purchased over a month before, to arrive at my doorstep on time. 2-3 weeks later after the launch, a month and a half after purchase, no phones, no email stating what happened, when we called DR they gave us the run-around! That is called bad business!! I was only forced to go through Amazon, AFTER I lost faith in DR getting me my phones. After I called my bank I called DR to cancel my order, they did...and I still got those phones from them! And to the other person, who wondered what would have happened if I would have expected those extra phones from DR...I would have gotten charged again probably..then my bank would have took my refund back.

DR is a joke, their customer service is a joke, whether you are receiving in the US or outside the US!

Last edited by jmo712; 01-26-15 at 08:23 AM.
    vpblaze likes this.
    01-26-15 07:48 AM
    Nope....not expecting higher service at all. I expect people to do their basic job correctly. Not getting my money back is only one of many bad experiences with with them.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-26-15 04:15 PM
    They love opening cases but never solve them
    01-26-15 04:48 PM
    Speak with your wallets, people. Unless you absolutely have to, don't buy from ShopBB, buy from Amazon. I can't imagine SBB shipping to places that Amazon doesn't...
    mnc76, MarsupilamiX and Tabdus like this.
    01-26-15 04:53 PM
39 12