On vacation in Kelowna this week, so far I am very impressed with BlackBerry Maps.

Most of the POIs are found directly through the search function of the app, except a bike rental place deep in the mountains which I had to use Google.

All the routes were accurate and optimized with real-time traffic taken into consideration, the destinations were always on the right side of the suggested routes so no need to search both sides when approaching the destination like before, or ends up on the wrong side of the road and had to cross the street by foot.

The female voice is very nature, so much more preferred coming to the computer voice in Google maps.

The integration with apps such as gas buddy was surprising... though I know four square was integrated very well with Maps.

Great work BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-03-14 09:06 PM
    I have never had any issues. Excuse the pun but BlackBerry Maps has always "steered me in the right direction".

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 09:09 PM
    I've used it many times and it has performed totally satisfactory. It can only get better once I upgrade to Z30 from Z10 fir bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 11:19 PM
    I have a great idea if BlackBerry could add to the BlackBerry maps..

You know how those weather animation are, if BlackBerry could pull the information from one of the apps and use those animations as a background to the maps that would be sick.. when it rains, rain drops on the navigation screen would go hand in hand with the conditions outside..)

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 11:27 PM
    That's great to hear! Adding yelp reviews is definitely a step in the right direction as well
    07-03-14 11:29 PM
    The turn by turn navigation is very good actually. The availability of POI is, at least here in Europe, very poor. This is a point for improvement.
    However, the overall performance has, in my view, improved a lot and BlackBerry maps has great potential.
    Oddsocket and Alvin Loh like this.
    07-04-14 12:08 AM
    I just don't like how you can't look around during navigation. Like when you try to move the map, the only way is if you cancel the route... I think that's so dumb, I need to do that often, with the other navigation programs you're free to look around, then just touch "resume" to get back to the navigation. They need to fix that...

Oh, that and show the damn exit numbers on the highways for crying out loud... Not during navigation but while just viewing the map. I want to see the exits labeled with the exit numbers...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Katika99 likes this.
    07-04-14 12:53 AM
    It does its job, especially when your using 4G. BlackBerry Maps was my guide round London and at the BlackBerry Experience Event.
    '5 Stars'

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:58 AM
    I am liking BlackBerry maps more these days, though it's just one of several that I rely on (Gmaps, Waze, BlackBerry Maps, Don't Panic, BeMaps Pro, in order of usage.)

I wish that BlackBerry maps supported the ability to mark favorites in the map as well as show general venues and points of interest in the map itself to see what's around like Google Maps does. It also doesn't allow you to change perspective during nav mode which is helpful when you want to look around your route. But I agree the natural voice and directions in laymen's terms are terrific and probably the best "In about a half a mile, get ready to turn right".

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 01:21 AM
    I suggest you try NavFree. You can use if offline and it works great. Just explore it a bit and get used to its UI
    07-04-14 06:10 AM
    The only issue I've had with BlackBerry Maps is it never tells me which side of the road my destination is on. It always just says "Your destination is straight ahead."

Posted via CB10
    Pegon_Fighter likes this.
    07-04-14 07:25 AM
    We were driving in a new area and looking for a particular restaurant . The integration with Spotcast was a nice thing to see. My iPhone friend was impressed. Sometimes it is nice being the underdog, lol.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    Playbook007 likes this.
    07-04-14 07:33 AM
    I'm happy with BlackBerry Maps also. I like the simplicity actually. When I want to get from point A to B all I need is a simple clear navigation app doing that. When driving I don't have time to look around for POI zoom in and out or other stuff. I keep my eyes to the road. I will like to get the red light and speed cameras alerts added and traffic alerts and rerouting perfected.

Visit my BBM Channel ~ C000E96F6
    Playbook007 likes this.
    07-04-14 07:39 AM
    The only issue I've had with BlackBerry Maps is it never tells me which side of the road my destination is on. It always just says "Your destination is straight ahead."

Posted via CB10
    I used to hate that but this time I found all my destination ended up on the right side of the streets (I am in a country the cars drives on the right side of streets). When it's not the map actually will include a legal U turn in the routes, so the destination ended up on the right again.

07-04-14 08:46 AM
    It's simple and does the job very well! Prefer it much more than Google maps, where the interface is heavy and too much is going on.

The only thing is real time traffic. It's good, but Google maps is much more up to date in my area (Montreal)

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:49 AM
    Another new feature I like is the OS automatically detects addresses and make it it click able, once clicked, it automatically goes to BlackBerry Maps. My wife just need to send me the address she found in sms messages and I just need to click on it to launch Maps and starts navigation.

Playbook007 likes this.
    07-04-14 08:50 AM
    On vacation in Kelowna this week, so far I am very impressed with BlackBerry Maps.

Most of the POIs are found directly through the search function of the app, except a bike rental place deep in the mountains which I had to use Google.

All the routes were accurate and optimized with real-time traffic taken into consideration, the destinations were always on the right side of the suggested routes so no need to search both sides when approaching the destination like before, or ends up on the wrong side of the road and had to cross the street by foot.

The female voice is very nature, so much more preferred coming to the computer voice in Google maps.

The integration with apps such as gas buddy was surprising... though I know four square was integrated very well with Maps.

Great work BlackBerry!

How long are you in Kelowna for? You definitely timed your trip perfectly- the weathers been great!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:52 AM
    gotta agree. I find it excellent. The real time traffic I have found to be quite good actually. On par with Google (Toronto area). search POI's has come along way since 10.0 build and the voice is natural. it has never lead me wrong. They way it connects to contacts or BB Travel is pure bonus.

My only issues is when using in my car which is connected to the Ford Sync blue tooth, the voice does not work (wouldn;t suprise me if its a Sync issue thou....that system is crap). Also, when using in Quebec it always pronoces the road names in proper French accent, its cute, but also annoying as I read them in my English but it slurs the word to make itself sound French ....bit of a WTF thing to be honest LOL
    07-04-14 08:57 AM
    I have a great idea if BlackBerry could add to the BlackBerry maps..

You know how those weather animation are, if BlackBerry could pull the information from one of the apps and use those animations as a background to the maps that would be sick.. when it rains, rain drops on the navigation screen would go hand in hand with the conditions outside..)

Posted via CB10
    But then again I should be looking outside while driving. I might see the rain in real time.......

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:55 PM
    But then again I should be looking outside while driving. I might see the rain in real time.......

Posted via CB10
    Yah, was going to say something similar... It would be a "neat" gimmick they can advertise, but honestly I'll keep it off so there's no distraction or interference in seeing the directions clearly...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-04-14 04:02 PM
    How long are you in Kelowna for? You definitely timed your trip perfectly- the weathers been great!

Posted via CB10
    One week , will head back on Sunday. Very nice city you get here.

Oh if you don't mind me asking: If you have one thing to recommend a visitor to do in your city, what would that be?
    07-04-14 11:23 PM
    It sill pales in comparison to Google maps. To find anything I have to type it in google first to find the address. With Google maps, just start typing a general description of where you're going and voila.. it finds your destination.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 12:24 AM
    Wish it had satellite imagery.

G's Z30
    07-05-14 05:32 AM
    Yes, the POI has improved immensely since 10.0. Now there are times when I can find places using BlackBerry Maps and not Google.

What I would like, though, is to be able to map a route from location A to location B. In this case, location A isn't where I am presently. You can only seem to map from where I currently am to a destination.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 07:52 AM
    I miss Kelowna. I lived there through my high school life.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:51 AM
35 12