It seems like more of a problem of hypersensitivity to negative news. Apparently, rampant speculation is fine as long as it is positive. Negative news must be double-checked even though it is being reported the same way in the technology press.
    04-10-14 12:13 PM
    Reuters and bloomberg are two of the most reputable media outlets, they don't make up quotes and endulge in libel. You assume all they had was the taped video interview. Let's see if Chen denies these quotes. I'm guessing we'll be waiting a while.
    Looks like you didn't have to wait as long as you thought.

Posted via CB10
    Jake2826 and bungaboy like this.
    04-10-14 12:19 PM
    It seems like more of a problem of hypersensitivity to negative news. Apparently, rampant speculation is fine as long as it is positive. Negative news must be double-checked even though it is being reported the same way in the technology press.
    No you're wrong.....its called quality. This has nothing to do with what you're talking about. Crackberry has a responsibility to its readers to give us a deeper more focused report than just what the other guys have posted.....that used to be what separated them, its what separates imore for the other iphone sites...rene ritchie is one of the best imho for this. CB used to be the best at this.

Posted via CB10
    maddie1128 and bungaboy like this.
    04-10-14 12:26 PM
    I agree but again Chen has been very vocal where others have not! Also you can never control what the press wants to release!!!
    Clanked (the OP) is not complaining about what Chen said (which I interpret as "one can not run a business at a loss indefinitely" which is just common sense).

Clanked is not complaining about the other Websites that misquoted Chen or intentionally misconstrued what Chen said or meant.

Clanked is rightly complaining that one of the two places in the universe that absolutely positively SHOULD be making double plus extra sure to NOT quote badly-written article and not just present other "headlines" unadulterated is BlackBerry.com and BlackBerry fan sites (one of which is CrackBerry).

The editors of CrackBerry are always on the lookout for BlackBerry-Related news and when they find it, they should dig DEEP to confirm that the statements ARE NOT misconstrued and are NOT just sensationalistic BUNK that the likes of BGR and C|Net push out to get clicks.

We are holding CrackBerry to a higher standard than other "blog" sites SPECIFICALLY w.r.t. BlackBerry news, and certainly I would hope they would adhere to a higher standard than BGR etc. GENERALLY (i.e. I don't want to see provocative anti-Apple or anti-Android headlines on CrackBerry if it's not accurate).

Thanks Clanked for posting this. I had already read the "corrections" to what Chen was saying and I didn't realize that CrackBerry let it pass unquestioned.

I'm seeing an overall dilution among Mobile Nations staff: that is, if the editors of the specific sites are spending all their time gaining insights on Android and iOS and Windows Phone, who's an "expert" in BlackBerry any more. Maybe Mobile Nations needs to appoint a single editor for every site who's job it is absolutely NOT to use or own other devices: use only that single device and really be an expert rather than spending only 25% of the time on the platform for which they are supposed to be editor. Just a suggestion and probably not a very practical one, but yeah, with growth comes change, and it's not all good.

EDIT: and to their credit CrackBerry management have retconed the articles out of existence :-) and are now strongly refuting the Reuter's piece and interpretation of Chen's statements.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 04-10-14 at 12:39 PM.
    04-10-14 12:27 PM
    I think that article is gone now

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 12:29 PM
    Any logical person would have understood what he meant by what he said. Everyone so quick to report a fire and "whoa no way" about something. Calm down.
    04-10-14 12:33 PM
    Looks like you didn't have to wait as long as you thought.

Posted via CB10
    He didn't deny the quote...
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-14 01:06 PM
    The editors of CrackBerry are always on the lookout for BlackBerry-Related news and when they find it, they should dig DEEP to confirm that the statements ARE NOT misconstrued and are NOT just sensationalistic BUNK that the likes of BGR and C|Net push out to get clicks.
    I agree. HOWEVER, they've also been criticized recently for not breaking BlackBerry news before other BB news sites. So they could take the time to dig deep and research rumors, ticking off those who read these rumors on other sites before CB breaks the news, or they could report the rumors as they're breaking, ticking off those who want CB to research everything they come across before posting. How can they win in either scenario?
    04-10-14 01:28 PM
    I agree. HOWEVER, they've also been criticized recently for not breaking BlackBerry news before other BB news sites. So they could take the time to dig deep and research rumors, ticking off those who read these rumors on other sites before CB breaks the news, or they could report the rumors as they're breaking, ticking off those who want CB to research everything they come across before posting. How can they win in either scenario?
    Just like BBRY in a way.
    04-10-14 01:29 PM
    Seems that the newer posts are very much trying to make up for the blunder. I wonder if it's only for the forum users or maybe Chen/BlackBerry weren't too happy :P

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 01:32 PM
    Can't cast shade on writers trusting Reuters. I definitely won't be casting the first stone.
    sentimentGX4 and kevinnugent like this.
    04-10-14 01:39 PM
    If a bunch of random forum guys can rip it... shouldn't the guy who posted it question it before he did?.....The old crackberry would have NEVER posted that without checking the full interview first......sam might be a great guy but his post yesterday was an embarrassment......a lazy embarrassment. the guy should be ashamed to be honest. If it was my site he'd be reprimanded if we're being real here.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, as long as we can agree that Bloomberg and Reuters didn't outright make up the quote and merely took it out of context, the journalism is of much higher standard than many past Crackberry news scandals.

Remember Instagram is coming? Or Google Play? Those were even less substantiated than a quote coming from a respected media outlet and based merely on forum posts with photoshopped images. I'm not sure Crackberry ever fact checked any of its news.

I don't think criticism for Sam is at all fair. Even a copy and paste job from Bloomberg should always be regarded higher than anything coming out of MobileNations. Bloomberg is the source where a lot of tech news leaks first.
    techvisor, KDB84 and notfanboy like this.
    04-10-14 01:45 PM
    Reuters and bloomberg are two of the most reputable media outlets, they don't make up quotes and endulge in libel. You assume all they had was the taped video interview. Let's see if Chen denies these quotes. I'm guessing we'll be waiting a while.
    Reuters and Bloomberg are crap, Bloomberg a bit less so. They are just as much in the attention-grabbing business as any other major media outlet, and they mis-representated in clear bad faith what Chen said.

I wish CB would have resisted the urge to follow in this case.

From a Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-10-14 01:56 PM
    I think Kevin needs to step up and address this via post in this thread. Reassure everyone that it won't happen again etc. I love CB, always have but stuff like this should not happen going forward
    04-10-14 02:10 PM
    My oh my.....poor CB and BB, darned if you do, darned if......
    04-10-14 02:22 PM
    Reuters and Bloomberg are crap, Bloomberg a bit less so. They are just as much in the attention-grabbing business as any other major media outlet, and they mis-representated in clear bad faith what Chen said.

I wish CB would have resisted the urge to follow in this case.

From a Z30
    No Reuters are not crap, Chen showed his inexperience and got drawn into saying something he now regrets. They reported it, welcome to the real world. its not the first and wont be the last gaff he makes.
    JeepBB, DenverRalphy and trsbbs like this.
    04-10-14 02:33 PM
    No Reuters are not crap, Chen showed his inexperience and got drawn into saying something he now regrets. They reported it, welcome to the real world. its not the first and wont be the last gaff he makes.
    Taking something that someone says out of context is not good journalism (it is most like crap), It is the real world for sure, but it is still crap.
    bungaboy, Omnitech and Jake2826 like this.
    04-10-14 02:46 PM
    Honestly, reading this site has been awful lately, more bad news than useful posts. I like BlackBerry but reading this site is bringing my opinion down about it.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    04-10-14 02:59 PM
    What I don't understand is what the portion in red is supposed to mean from the Reuters article: "If I cannot make money on handsets, I will not be in the handset business," John Chen said in an interview, adding that the time frame for such a decision was short."

I think it goes without saying that if a company cannot make money (more specifically turn a profit) then they will shut down that particular business line (voluntary or involuntary). So to me the most crucial part of the article was the statement that the time frame for such a decision was short. Did John Chen actually say that the time frame for such a decision was short or did Reuters misinterpret something? If he did then there is nothing inaccurate about saying that BB may decide to exit the handset business.

Am I missing something here?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    04-10-14 03:06 PM
    It's silly to blame Crackberry for this they presented what was written and have since followed up on the issue to clarify what actually happened. The real target for your ire should be John Chen. He should have known better.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-14 03:28 PM
    I've seen plenty of propaganda on Reuters in the past--it's not like they fact-check every article that goes out on the wire.

And what they "reported" was a blatant misrepresentation. Imagine that you ran a phone manufacturing business and I asked you, "if things start going down the drain, will you continue as is until bankruptcy?" Then you answer, "no, I would change my business model." Then I ran around and told everyone, "Hey, this guy is getting out of the phone business!"

I think you'd be pretty pissed and consider it a misrepresentation of what you said, even if I used direct quotes but lied by omission by not including the context.

The argument "Chen should have known better" has some weight in a world filled with junk journalism, but Reuters remains the party in the wrong here.

From a Z30
    bungaboy, Omnitech and Jake2826 like this.
    04-10-14 04:14 PM
    Seriously you guys care way too much. I guess I understand wanting proper journalism and all but it was one article. Besides that it's just an article on an tech blog/site and to be so upset to the point that "words cannot explain" your disappointment, maybe you guys should step back and take a break every once and awhile.

But I guess to each his own and I have no right to tell you what to do. So sorry for my rant, but just thought it needed to be said
    sheailewis1 likes this.
    04-10-14 04:19 PM
    Crackberry wasn't the only one. Every news outlet carried some variation of the Reuters/Bloomberg story. Even Canadian outlets like the Globe and Mail and the National Post. I'm sorry but Crackberry was simply relaying what was in the news. If Chen is so inept and can't clearly communicate, that's really not Crackberry's (or Reuter's or Bloomberg's) problem.

And let's face it, it's really hard to believe that there is some deep seated media conspiracy to screw BBRY. Reuters and Bloomberg, as others have pointed out, aren't exactly disreputable media outfits. They're wire services with excellent reputations. They were simply taking quotes made by Chen and reporting on them. If Chen didn't want those comments to make the news, he should not have spoken to the media.
    JeepBB and kevinnugent like this.
    04-10-14 04:49 PM
    Crackberry wasn't the only one. Every news outlet carried some variation of the Reuters/Bloomberg story. Even Canadian outlets like the Globe and Mail and the National Post. I'm sorry but Crackberry was simply relaying what was in the news. If Chen is so inept and can't clearly communicate, that's really not Crackberry's (or Reuter's or Bloomberg's) problem.

And let's face it, it's really hard to believe that there is some deep seated media conspiracy to screw BBRY. Reuters and Bloomberg, as others have pointed out, aren't exactly disreputable media outfits. They're wire services with excellent reputations. They were simply taking quotes made by Chen and reporting on them. If Chen didn't want those comments to make the news, he should not have spoken to the media.
    Some people have believed this for a very, very long time; the difference now is that it is becoming standard to include the CB team in the conspiracy.

Again, Kevin did ask for people to sign up as bloggers, but hey...
    anon(5828343) and kevinnugent like this.
    04-10-14 04:58 PM
    Some people have believed this for a very, very long time; the difference now is that it is becoming standard to include the CB team in the conspiracy.

Again, Kevin did ask for people to sign up as bloggers, but hey...
    Nice spin there buddy.

There is a big difference between people being disappointed with a BlackBerry fan site not doing their due diligence on a story and USING A WINDOWS CENTRAL GUY TO POST, than a mass conspiracy against BlackBerry which includes CB.......to try and say thats what is being discussed here is ridiculous, and you should feel ashamed to be making that ludicrous connection .

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 05:47 PM
147 1234 ...