Some people have believed this for a very, very long time; the difference now is that it is becoming standard to include the CB team in the conspiracy.

Again, Kevin did ask for people to sign up as bloggers, but hey...
    So the top 3 pages of Google saying that BlackBerry is getting out of handsets yesterday and 1page if corrections, with a few of those making it seem like Chen's fault, is NOT the media's fault.

I read over 30 article titles saying BlackBerry was exiting handsets, maybe a dozen of them recanted... the rest just totally ignored the fact that they were blatantly wrong. is that journalism?

In any other job if people are consistently wrong they get fired, but it seems with the media that these people can do and say whatever they want... even if that leads to other people getting fired

I don't want to argue the point, because I'd you can't see it then you never will, and it's blatantly obvious. Just don't dismiss the fact that it is possible, just like the media dismisses their mistakes.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 06:04 PM
    Reuters and bloomberg are two of the most reputable media outlets, they don't make up quotes and endulge in libel. You assume all they had was the taped video interview. Let's see if Chen denies these quotes. I'm guessing we'll be waiting a while.
    Tic..tic.. look the wait is over.
    Surely the reputable media could never make up something that was not/ever said.

The biggest problem these days is the fact that we rely so much on these news sources and their desire to elicit the *breaking news* banner allows them to get away with many false statements that all they need to do is edit/retract.
    The news source should be held responsible for such erroneous conduct of it's writers especially when they had the tape to fact check.
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-10-14 07:10 PM
    Crackberry wasn't the only one. Every news outlet carried some variation of the Reuters/Bloomberg story. Even Canadian outlets like the Globe and Mail and the National Post. I'm sorry but Crackberry was simply relaying what was in the news. If Chen is so inept and can't clearly communicate, that's really not Crackberry's (or Reuter's or Bloomberg's) problem.

And let's face it, it's really hard to believe that there is some deep seated media conspiracy to screw BBRY. Reuters and Bloomberg, as others have pointed out, aren't exactly disreputable media outfits. They're wire services with excellent reputations. They were simply taking quotes made by Chen and reporting on them. If Chen didn't want those comments to make the news, he should not have spoken to the media.
    Please stop your misplaced vitriol. In a world where media sensationalizes, parrots, reposts, retweets anything they can get their hands on (and yes sometimes even go as far as fabricating), does not make things any more factual. So why are you validating media sources, i.e. Globe & Mail,that is only doing just that and not doing the due diligence? You got to be kidding me. The error by Reuters is that their quotes don't even match up with the video that they released! Now they say it's part of a longer interview? Talk about sloppy and not giving fairness to BlackBerry and Chen.

It is a disservice to ourselves if we don't scrutinize and hold them to a higher standard no matter how much we think they are "reputable".

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and Omnitech like this.
    04-10-14 08:04 PM
    Some people have believed this for a very, very long time; the difference now is that it is becoming standard to include the CB team in the conspiracy.

Again, Kevin did ask for people to sign up as bloggers, but hey...
    You done Tre? My reply to NYC0065 applies to you too.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 08:07 PM
    .....is anyone surprised? Arent you guys seeing the vultures circling? Havent you been reading the comments and the posts? Dont you fellows see that the baying voices are taking over? Watch when ANYTHING remotely positive about BlackBerry is posted....do you see certain posters clicking like? Nope...however let one of their kindred spirits post and you see the 'likes' count on that. Even with this story all kinds of excuses and such are thrown around. I am still wondering, if they think BB is dead or a lost cause, why are they still here? I would have felt that they would have lost interest and moved on by now. Or is it they are sticking around for the 'I told you so' moment? Might be one hell of a wait...

.....I am BlackBerry supporter until the last one is made--and they turn the lights out.
    I get engaged when my favourite sports team plays....so do I when the discussion is about anything I like--in this case BlackBerry....
    FSeverino likes this.
    04-10-14 09:01 PM
    i posted this in the comments in the "clarification post"
    Base on that criteria, there wont be any positive news out there. Media are like sharks, they see blood they go on a rampage until there's nothing left. Journalism die long time ago. It's all about sound bytes. The loudest one gets the attention. Negative news gets the most attention. What do you think the media has been selling to it's readers? Wars, missing planes, natural disasters, shootings, serial killer. Yellow journalism sells. News people enjoy reading even during crapping.
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-10-14 09:04 PM
    .....is anyone surprised? Arent you guys seeing the vultures circling? Havent you been reading the comments and the posts? Dont you fellows see that the baying voices are taking over? Watch when ANYTHING remotely positive about BlackBerry is posted....do you see certain posters clicking like? Nope...however let one of their kindred spirits post and you see the 'likes' count on that. Even with this story all kinds of excuses and such are thrown around. I am still wondering, if they think BB is dead or a lost cause, why are they still here? I would have felt that they would have lost interest and moved on by now. Or is it they are sticking around for the 'I told you so' moment? Might be one hell of a wait...

.....I am BlackBerry supporter until the last one is made--and they turn the lights out.
    I get engaged when my favourite sports team plays....so do I when the discussion is about anything I like--in this case BlackBerry....
    Actually you are 100%, and is very funny. It is like a cult in some guys at this forum, one post and the others click the "like", they are the minority but look like a large group, because anything can be said but they are very well synchronized. Bashing everything that smells BB is a priority for these guys.
    04-10-14 09:38 PM
    No Reuters are not crap, Chen showed his inexperience and got drawn into saying something he now regrets. They reported it, welcome to the real world. its not the first and wont be the last gaff he makes.
    I agree 100 percent. Not the first time either. On the same subject too!

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    04-10-14 10:09 PM
    No Reuters are not crap, Chen showed his inexperience and got drawn into saying something he now regrets. They reported it, welcome to the real world. its not the first and wont be the last gaff he makes.
    So if someone accidently farts off camera let's take it out of context and blow it out of proportion.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    clickitykeys likes this.
    04-10-14 10:20 PM
    So they could take the time to dig deep and research rumors, ticking off those who read these rumors on other sites before CB breaks the news, or they could report the rumors as they're breaking, ticking off those who want CB to research everything they come across before posting. How can they win in either scenario?
    if posting inaccurate or not properly vetted leads is unacceptable, you have answered your own question. I'm reminded of the remorse all the major US news outlets expressed after calling the 2000 presidential election for Gore prematurely, blaming pressure and competition... but it was their pride and greed that caused it in the end... no one at NBC put the "GORE WINS!" crawl up on ABC's broadcast.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and Omnitech like this.
    04-10-14 10:24 PM
    This site is NOT a news outlet per se/ Its an enthusiast site first and foremost dedicated to all things BB (or so I was led to believe). This means that things regarding BB are expected to be debated and dissected beyond the cursory. I think the site is gradually losing its identity...no we are not expecting it to preach rosy sermons about BB or ignore the dire straits the company is in.....but at least in here we expect a little respite from the rabble that is....or is that too much to ask?
    Coffee Shampoo and Omnitech like this.
    04-11-14 01:00 AM
    I approve of the OPs point

Posted via CB10
    Clanked likes this.
    04-11-14 02:10 AM
    Sad to say, but Crackberry really did drop the ball on good old-fashioned quality control. If there is one place on the web where you don't expect to read random bull**** about BlackBerry, it is this one. And yet ... .
    Clanked likes this.
    04-11-14 02:27 AM
    So if someone accidently farts off camera let's take it out of context and blow it out of proportion.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    If something strongly newsworthy is said off camera they obviously will report it. What do you really expect, honestly?
    We know who's fault it was but he's still above criticism for some reason.
    04-11-14 02:30 AM
    Tic..tic.. look the wait is over.
    Surely the reputable media could never make up something that was not/ever said.

The biggest problem these days is the fact that we rely so much on these news sources and their desire to elicit the *breaking news* banner allows them to get away with many false statements that all they need to do is edit/retract.
    The news source should be held responsible for such erroneous conduct of it's writers especially when they had the tape to fact check.
    Have you realized that he wasn't misquoted yet, or is the fantasy still continuing?
    techvisor and millerliteboy like this.
    04-11-14 02:34 AM
    I've been in front line to rant when I read this article, because I saw the video before I read it.
    Remember, the video was available after Reuter's article so that the blog author couldn't have seen it.

Now, what makes me glad about it is the reactivity the CB editors (incl. Kevin) had after most of us reacted in the comments or even BBMed him to warn about the problem.
    I'm satisfied with the updates and 2 additional blog posts we saw pretty quick.

I'm tempted to mod OP's title to "I was raging, but finally things went back to normal and truth was unveiled, nice move CB".

P.S: about the "press" and echo it gave to the news, as much as I've been able to track them, articles quoted Reuter's article, not CB's.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-11-14 04:33 AM
    Something really needs to change there. Every CEO they have ever had is taken out of context when they open their yap.
    People hear what they want to hear and spin it to their advantage. Chen could say "Good Morning" to some journalist and by the time that is reported, Chen would have to refute what is said. It is the nature of the beast, so one cannot just blame the CEO. In some respects, journalism lost its professionalism eons ago.
    Vorkosigan and Omnitech like this.
    04-11-14 04:52 AM
    if posting inaccurate or not properly vetted leads is unacceptable, you have answered your own question. I'm reminded of the remorse all the major US news outlets expressed after calling the 2000 presidential election for Gore prematurely, blaming pressure and competition... but it was their pride and greed that caused it in the end... no one at NBC put the "GORE WINS!" crawl up on ABC's broadcast.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that I'd prefer to have CB research all rumors since it earns them the title of a reputable blog. There are other blogs that report all rumors. Some rumors are right and some are wrong. But when another blog posts rumors that turn out to be right first, that's when people have started dumping on CB for not breaking it first. People start saying stuff like the CB writers have become lazy, they don't care about breaking news for BB fans, etc. They're not thinking about the times that CB have waited on a lead and it turned out to be false, whereas other blogs posted about it. They receive pressure from both camps of people.
    kbz1960, Superfly_FR, TGR1 and 2 others like this.
    04-11-14 09:42 AM
    Something really needs to change there. Every CEO they have ever had is taken out of context when they open their yap.
    It is very simple, they should watch their yap. John Chen should know better.
    kbz1960 and TGR1 like this.
    04-11-14 10:17 AM
    Have you realized that he wasn't misquoted yet, or is the fantasy still continuing?
    Do you have Reuters transcript? If yes, post the link.
    04-11-14 10:20 AM
    The error by Reuters is that their quotes don't even match up with the video that they released! Now they say it's part of a longer interview? Talk about sloppy and not giving fairness to BlackBerry and Chen.
    If Chen was truly misquoted, he would have sought a retraction. If he did not get a retraction and he felt that his misquotations were having an impact on his business, he could sue.

Did he do either? No.

He whined and said his quote (emphasis on the fact that he said it was his quote and not a misquote) was taken out of context. How nice! So he did use the exact same words that Reuters carried. Maybe he didn't mean what he said. Maybe he is inept at communicating. But let there be no doubt that he said those exact same words. He put out a correction and forced Reuters to come out and not retract but rather stand by their story. They even went so far as to say that he was heard by 20 people.

Blaming the media is pathetic when Chen is a class A media hound that thumps his chest and seeks media attention. He just doesn't know how to tell his story without putting his foot in it. I've had 20+ years in communications strategy. In those 20 years, I've never once blamed the media for conspiring against a client and if a client is misquoted, I've sought and received apologies and retractions. When a media outlet refuses to either apologize or retract, they normally have a recording of the exact words they have quoted. Chen can't run away from his own voice.
    JeepBB and kevinnugent like this.
    04-11-14 05:54 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I'm sorry but this wasn't someone farting off camera. This was someone in front of 20 people in an extensive, on the record interview. Questions were asked. Answers were given. Everything was on the record, for attribution to Mr. Chen. The ground rules are always clear -- when I arrange media interviews for clients, the rules of the game are made known and any CEO would never have gone into anything like a Reuters interview without at least some prep. We're not talking about the neighborhood newspaper here. This is a major wire service.
    04-11-14 08:32 PM
    We are in the world of blogging and not news reporting. Journalism is dead along with researching facts. It is all about the buzz, hype and how many clicks you get. Thus sensationalism rules over facts. It is just the reality of the times. Blogging/opinion pieces IN and news and journalistic integrity is OUTt. Yesterday was a HUGE success for bloggers as it created exactly what they were after. A lot of clicks and upset folks reading their posts and responding. Don't mistake CB, Rueters... for reporting news and facts. That is not their business. That side of the business is dead.

I too am disappointed in the lack of professionalism and journalistic integrity / reporting but it is the times we live in. CB is doing what all other sites do to generate business. Do not forget that CB is doing this for the money and not the love of BBRY so please don't act surprised when they are doing what is needed to be a top blogging site. Am I disappointed they are a me too site and don't represent the facts, sure. But I also understand this is a business 1st so dont expect things to change. In today's world there simply isn't time to check facts. It is all about cranking our words as fast as possible and most information are simply opinions and should be taken as such. Reporting and Journalism is dead as we knew it to be.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 10:00 PM
    disappointed as well... it seemed like crackberry was now reporting blackberry news like Yahoo or huffington post. I think we all expect better from this website..
    04-11-14 10:06 PM
    If Chen was truly misquoted, he would have sought a retraction. If he did not get a retraction and he felt that his misquotations were having an impact on his business, he could sue.

Did he do either? No.

... I've had 20+ years in communications strategy. In those 20 years, I've never once blamed the media for conspiring against a client and if a client is misquoted, I've sought and received apologies and retractions. When a media outlet refuses to either apologize or retract, they normally have a recording of the exact words they have quoted. Chen can't run away from his own voice.
    Firstly, this is what YOU would do (i.e. Seek retraction or sue) if you were in his situation and it might not be the right one (to be quite honest, you stating your 20+ years comms strategy doesn't give you more credibility for your analysis either because I can counter stating my background and there would be no way to prove either so it's just left at that - Crackberry posters with handle names). But before I indulge your comments, let's analyze what we do know for sure and that's the Reuters video (I am going to watch and transcribe verbatim) that was published relevant to the controversial topic.

Interviewer Question 1: "You are saying that this is not a handset story, that the turnaround is beyond that. When you are moving towards services, enterprise messaging, all these things are becoming more important. Are handsets the least of your priorities?"

John Chen: "I wouldn't say that. I think there's equal importance to that but it is not a handset only turnaround. I think we ought to think about that being an end-to-end solution - more than just a handset.

Analysis: This reply already shows that he's not exiting anything. He said the handset business is of equal importance and is a piece of the business solution and strategy that he wants to execute. In his blog, he now repeats the exact same thing again he said in the video as if people didn't hear him the first time. End-to-end solution means one vendor (BlackBerry for OS, MDM, NOC, security, messaging, software, hardware). Imagine dealing with a enterprise solution where you have different vendors handling each part of OS, MDM, NOC, software, security, hardware, etc. That's a nightmare if any issues come up. I've had a reputable vendor have nightmare issues with one of their 3rd party software modules and comprised their entire solution to meet client requirements. That's what Chen wants to drive and those are the other components of business services that will drive the value chain that hopefully will include a client to opt for a BlackBerry device rather than another device. So again, ideally Chen wants the devices to be part of solution.

Interviewer Question 2: "At the same time you are selling handsets, you have new products coming out, we are going to see the BlackBerry Classic, you are supporting the Bold, what is the benchmark for handset sales this year and do you plan on hitting that target?"

John Chen: "The only benchmark I would say is volume based - I told investors we need to make money in the handset business and this is what I am fixated in doing. I'm hoping that between now and sometime next year. we will make money in the handset business"

Interviewer: "And what happens if you don't?"

John Chen: "well if we really couldn't find a way to make handsets profitable there will be ways to make handsets profitable then maybe we will just have somebody else build more and more handsets and I build less and less handsets, or maybe people will design more handsets for me? There's got to be a way to make handsets because our operating system software technologies so strong, If I just license software technology I will be I would do well. So we will be in the handset business but it's a matter of what level of integration."

Analysis: So the above is about profitability and that ties to the controversial headlines we've been seeing about BlackBerry possibly exiting the handset business if it's unprofitable right? Where does he talk about exiting? He sounds determined to make a profitable but possibly outsourcing more if it comes to that but reaffirms he's in the handset business. So what was Reuters quoting? Some other John Chen comment made based on the exact same question asked at another time in the interview? Or were they (Reuters) paraphrasing? Sounds pretty sloppy by Reuters doesn't it? Or all things said, they chose that? Why not prove that was said by issuing that recording of that supposed longer interview that took place where that exact quote was? Or are we to base it on hearsay vs. hearing it directly in the video that already seems to be covering the quotes in question? Sounds like there are some integrity issues here.

Now let's get back to your absolute outcomes of retraction or sue. Would it be plausible that John Chen weighed out the cost benefit of going to those extremes of publicly seeking retraction or maybe sue with a reputable media outlet that could help BlackBerry down the road of recovery? Maybe he felt that he could overlook this one because if Reuters starts becoming slimey like other outlets we've seen, then that's one steep hill to climb considering Reuters is one of the more reputable ones. Maybe Reuters doesn't want to retract voluntarily because that would slightly tarnish their reputation for being sloppy and some lack of journalistic integrity. So if this scenario is plausible, it means that it's possible that your assumptions may not be entirely true either. This is where we are at and that's why I say your vitriol towards Chen is misplaced until we know for sure that he said it.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 12:10 AM
147 12345 ...