I activated VZ Nav on our corporate account and they pay for it. I do use it while not in my car becuase my Garmin was stolen from valet at a hotel in Honolulu...still pretty pissed about that.

My main issue is that it takes so loooooooong to provide any remotely useful info. At least GM gets you close right away and the search is unbeatable. I just got BBM up and running with OS4.5 and its pretty cool, but no GM.

anyway, to the point, I think if you pay for VZNav you should be able to access the GPS data for aynthing you like. I mean who the **** really cares as long as you give them your money, they should allow it. Send out a firmware unlock code tied to the PIN or something like that. it wouldn't be terribly difficult to set up.

VZW...thoughts on that?...maybe?...
    Or they could just unlock a feature the phone has BUILT INTO IT! If they didn't want the GPS they should have bought 8320's from RIM...but then you might use the WiFi instead of their network.

VZW=Devil They're everywhere...
    12-06-08 01:23 AM
    It's still not working for me. But it's not that big of a deal to me for now. I can wait a little longer. It just keeps searching for satellites.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not working for me either.

In the Options there isn't even any GPS option for me to select, it just says 'No'

12-06-08 02:22 AM
    Works for me. Well BB maps that's is. The ironic thing is that after months of trying and reading about gps unlocked on my phone my wife got fedup and bought a garmin for xmas...
    Lol

12-06-08 06:16 AM
    Download the latest Desktop Manager. Delete the version of BB Maps on your devive currently. Using the Application Loader on DM check the box next to BB Maps and hit continue to install the latest version of BB Maps.

i used DM 4.7.

12-06-08 06:27 AM
    Download the latest Desktop Manager. Delete the version of BB Maps on your devive currently. Using the Application Loader on DM check the box next to BB Maps and hit continue to install the latest version of BB Maps.

i used DM 4.7.

Yeah, when I get home, I'm gonna try that and see what's good.

Any other particular settings I need to change or is it just pretty much install and go? (Besides activating GPS in the BB options)
    12-06-08 06:44 AM
    This is really awesome news! Now, I'll have to go put BB Maps back on, and delete google maps. <sigh> Someday baby...
    12-06-08 06:50 AM
    Lol, Sultan, hopefully someday.

Doctorlove, it's probably been mentioned a billion times but for anyone reading last page of this thread, lol. make sure you turn your location ON. It's set to 911 by default:

Options
    Advanced Options
    GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON

12-06-08 07:00 AM
    Lol, Sultan, hopefully someday.

Doctorlove, it's probably been mentioned a billion times but for anyone reading last page of this thread, lol. make sure you turn your location ON. It's set to 911 by default:

Options
    Advanced Options
    GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON

Thanks Chrisy, I knew I was gonna have to do that but I was just checking if there was anything else to do.

I appreciate it.

And yes, hopefully sometime soon on the Google Maps...
    12-06-08 07:04 AM
    Same thing here, I can't get mine to work. Did all the things posted and no gps uuugh what's up I have OS 4.3 is that the problem
    12-06-08 07:56 AM
    also, when i go to gps - options - and gps - on my gps source it just says NONE and doesn't give me an option to change. I'm sooo frustrated - what's wrong
    12-06-08 08:06 AM
    Upgrade your OS to 4.5.0.77. This should also give you updated BB Maps.

BlackBerry® Software Updates

This thread has OS update instructions:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/htm...rowser-107654/

Last edited by chrisy520; 12-06-08 at 08:44 AM.
    12-06-08 08:10 AM
    OK, it wasn't working for me earlier (kept searching for satellites) so when I got home I did the following.

-Upgraded to DM 4.7 from 4.6 (Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.)

-Removed and Reinstalled BB Maps

-Enabled GPS

-It Works!!!

So I don't know what did it this time. I removed and reinstalled BB Maps earlier and it still didn't work. So I saw Chrisy say to upgrade to DM 4.7 (didn't even know it was out) and now it worked fine.

Thanks to all that helped.

*EDIT* I also just wanted to confirm that it does work with 4.5.0.89 if anyone was wondering...
    12-06-08 09:03 AM
    awesome! i'm glad it's working for you now! i've been messing with BB Maps for a day now! lol
    12-06-08 09:18 AM
    i am confused .. how do you get the GPS up.. im at BBmaps and cant find how to start it..
    12-06-08 10:37 AM
    Any more battery usage while gps is set to location vs. 911 only?

I tried using BB maps last night in downtown Los Angeles and took forever to locate a sattelite signal.

12-06-08 11:21 AM
    Oh sweet baby jesus i am glad verizon finally sacked up and gave us gps. It works great so far. It. pinpointed my exact location within seconds.
    12-06-08 11:32 AM
    Any more battery usage while gps is set to location vs. 911 only?

I tried using BB maps last night in downtown Los Angeles and took forever to locate a sattelite signal.

maybe because of the smog
    12-06-08 12:25 PM
    Anyone know if more apps will be able to use GPS in the near future? No GPS has always been my biggest gripe about the phone, and while BB maps is nice (and I'm thrilled about at least having some GPS), it's no Google Maps or Live Search. I would also like to be able to use a tracking program.

I've heard Verizon is coming out with an app store. I would think totally unlocked GPS would be mandatory at that point, given the huge popularity of location services.

So where are they going with this? Anyone know?
    12-06-08 03:22 PM
    Anyone know if more apps will be able to use GPS in the near future? No GPS has always been my biggest gripe about the phone, and while BB maps is nice (and I'm thrilled about at least having some GPS), it's no Google Maps or Live Search. I would also like to be able to use a tracking program.

I've heard Verizon is coming out with an app store. I would think totally unlocked GPS would be mandatory at that point, given the huge popularity of location services.

So where are they going with this? Anyone know?
    I think the App Store is up now. At least my browser now redirects me to it as the home screen.
    12-06-08 04:51 PM
    Haven't played with it yet, but I found in the camera options, that there is a GEOtagging option. I am running a curve 8330 w/ 4.5.0.77 OS.

When enabled, there is a small satellite icon in the lower right corner of the screen. If it has signal then it will automatically pull the coordinates from your GPS location, and put it into the properties of the pic. I just tried this outside, and BB Maps pics up instantly. Closed BB Maps, and tested the GeoTagging on the pics, and doesn't seem to be picking up on the satellite signals.

Seems that there is limited capabilities on this new feature, but a great step in the right direction.
    12-06-08 08:18 PM
    GPS seems to work on my curve, but only on BBM.
    12-06-08 11:11 PM
    I work in SF Bay area and I find that V Nav sucks in SF. Is anyone else local and Had the same problem? It tells me when to turn a block or two past the turning point which makes me turn in circles and is very frustrating in a city with high volume traffic and a lot of one ways...

Any solutions...

I also noticed that the new VZ Nav drains my battery!!!
    \
    Any solutions to that problem....

Ive just tried using BB Maps but the turn by turn is helpful when driving
    12-07-08 02:57 PM
    GPS doesn't only work for the curve or pearl but also my girlfriends Storm works as well.

So seems like Verizon unlocked it for the Storm as well.
    12-07-08 05:55 PM
    It's always been unlocked for the storm.... just recently the curve and pearl. which you are correct.
    12-07-08 06:00 PM
    On my curve:

Does anyone know why you bluetooth turns on when you search for satelites. Is this normal? I have changed all setting to allow GPS, location on, and GPS Data Source Blackberry 8330. But mine keeps searching for satelites......... It is a clear night and I can see the moon and stars so there are no clouds to interfear. Any suggestions?
    12-07-08 06:34 PM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD