Looks like Verizon isn't interested in the Palm Pre anymore. It was suppose to be coming out early 2010. Hmmmmm, are they more focused on trying to release the iPhone instead??????

Link:

Verizon reportedly passing on the Palm Pre : Boy Genius Report
    09-24-09 04:22 PM
    Good. The Palm Pre is a joke anyway.. The iPhone is the buzz amongst the tech heads within the VZW machine. The stipulation is that it has to be redesigned and improved before Verizon improves it.

Key Issues:
    -removable battery
    -selling it initially in Verizon stores, not just Apple stores (including activation)

Although from what I hear/read on the Storm 2 (Odin) specs, the iPhone will be a thing of the past... Especially with AppWorld now.
    09-24-09 04:28 PM
    Verizon didn't say no to the Pre. It was never getting it, as Palm has never named them as one of their partners. Sprint exclusivity is also longer than six months so I don't know how they were getting it in January. Personally, I hope Verizon gets this phone.

As for iPhone being a thing of the past comment. That's all I needed to not take your post seriously.
    09-24-09 04:34 PM
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for Pre, though, especially given the propensity VZW seems to have with locking down features of devices, and downplaying other app stores that aren't theirs.

With the GSM Pre rolling out soon in Europe, hopefully that'll mean it's not too far away for a North American GSM carrier or two. We might even see more people make their way to Sprint now that the Pre's a bit of an exclusive for them and I'm sure a few people were on the fence.

As for the Pre being "a joke"...must be an inside one that only a few people are laughing at, because I don't see anything jokish about it. New device with a new OS...new direction, yes. Joke, no.
    09-24-09 04:43 PM
    Nokia wants Palm anyway
    09-24-09 04:45 PM
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for Pre, though, especially given the propensity VZW seems to have with locking down features of devices, and downplaying other app stores that aren't theirs.

With the GSM Pre rolling out soon in Europe, hopefully that'll mean it's not too far away for a North American GSM carrier or two. We might even see more people make their way to Sprint now that the Pre's a bit of an exclusive for them and I'm sure a few people were on the fence.

As for the Pre being "a joke"...must be an inside one that only a few people are laughing at, because I don't see anything jokish about it. New device with a new OS...new direction, yes. Joke, no.
    To be fair, Verizon locking down devices is a thing of the past. I did remember them saying they would use their own App Store and not the App Catalog, which was a huge diss. I'm not sure if that holds any merit so that's hearsay. All I know is that Verizon is the largest CDMA carrier and one of the most successful when it comes to revenue. Adding them to the lineup is beautiful for Palm, and more resources for the developers.

Nokia wanting Palm is hearsay as well, but that would great for both companies imo.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 09-24-09 at 04:50 PM.
    09-24-09 04:48 PM
    Using their own proprietary app catalog and cripple devices reason enough to pass on them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 05:36 PM
    I'd rather have a device with a sub-par app store then a device with a good app store and no network coverage.
    09-24-09 06:23 PM
    I have a friend who has the pre and it is a nice phone. Fantastic interface, works well, lots of apps. It really can't be beat.
    09-24-09 06:59 PM
    VZ could probably care less, but that sucks real bad for Palm. That would have been an enormous amount of market penetration vs Sprint...
    09-24-09 07:42 PM
    iPhone is under contract with AT&T til 2012 or 2015 i believe.
    09-24-09 07:47 PM
    It is amusing that when Verizon makes a move it leads to speculation about a possible Verizon iPhone. According to one of the articles on this topic Verizon is going to focus on their current phones including RIMs products. To me that is good news.

09-24-09 07:57 PM
    Good. The Palm Pre is a joke anyway.. The iPhone is the buzz amongst the tech heads within the VZW machine. The stipulation is that it has to be redesigned and improved before Verizon improves it.

Key Issues:
    -removable battery
    -selling it initially in Verizon stores, not just Apple stores (including activation)

Although from what I hear/read on the Storm 2 (Odin) specs, the iPhone will be a thing of the past... Especially with AppWorld now.
    The pre is a joke? The pre is so much better then the iphone

09-24-09 08:08 PM
    I have a friend who has the pre and it is a nice phone. Fantastic interface, works well, lots of apps. It really can't be beat.
    Except it's crappy keyboard
    09-24-09 08:22 PM

LOL! too funny!
    09-24-09 08:26 PM
    Yeah Pre is cool, but it hasn't sold nearly as well as Sprint expected. I think thats one of the reasons big red may have passed it up. Maybe the demand is not high enough.
    09-24-09 08:29 PM
    A lot can happen between now and the first of the year.
    09-24-09 08:30 PM
    verizons not getting the iphone for a while. att has a clause in the contract that says something like if apple makes a major release it extends the contract 3 years
    09-24-09 09:26 PM
    The pre is terrible and the keyboard is the worst thing ever. I also love the people commenting on the Apple/AT&T agreement. No one here knows anything more than hearsay or rumors don't try and act like your making definitive statements. Lastly maybe I am na�ve but I don't feel that vzw crippled my phone.

09-24-09 10:52 PM
    BlackBerry needs the Storm II to be a smooth interface like the Sense UI or WebOS. If that were a reality, you tools wouldn't be making such lame threads. Who cares, VZW is garbage. They hate great looking phones, and love keeping the poo.

09-24-09 10:56 PM
    BlackBerry needs the Storm II to be a smooth interface like the Sense UI or WebOS. If that were a reality, you tools wouldn't be making such lame threads. Who cares, VZW is garbage. They hate great looking phones, and love keeping the poo.

Very mature...

First, no need for name calling in this thread

Second, No need to make such statements about Verizon when you dont even have it
    Last edited by ace587; 09-24-09 at 11:09 PM.
    09-24-09 11:06 PM
    iPhone is under contract with AT&T til 2012 or 2015 i believe.
    verizons not getting the iphone for a while. att has a clause in the contract that says something like if apple makes a major release it extends the contract 3 years
    All speculation.

To date, no details of, or even confirmation that an exclusivity agreement exists, have ever been made public.
    09-25-09 02:09 AM
    This thread is great! Here are a few bottom lines:

1) Everyone has their own preference of phone styles. Some like the Pre, other like the iPhone, others still like the BlackBerry. Either way, each device has superiorities/inferiorities to the others.

2) VZW is a great company. Sprint, who doesn't offer the same coverage as VZW offers better prices, making them a great company as well.

3) There is no official word on what devices are in the works for VZW, so we'll all just have to wait and see.

09-25-09 11:40 AM
    Verizon didn't say no to the Pre. It was never getting it, as Palm has never named them as one of their partners. Sprint exclusivity is also longer than six months so I don't know how they were getting it in January. Personally, I hope Verizon gets this phone.

As for iPhone being a thing of the past comment. That's all I needed to not take your post seriously.
    False. It was already stated by the CEO they were going to be carrying it roughly 6 to 8 months after the Pre's launch.
    09-25-09 11:44 AM
    To be fair, Verizon locking down devices is a thing of the past. I did remember them saying they would use their own App Store and not the App Catalog, which was a huge diss. I'm not sure if that holds any merit so that's hearsay. All I know is that Verizon is the largest CDMA carrier and one of the most successful when it comes to revenue. Adding them to the lineup is beautiful for Palm, and more resources for the developers.

Nokia wanting Palm is hearsay as well, but that would great for both companies imo.
    Um Apple locked down their iPhone tighter than any smartphone Verizon has... In fact Verizon has no control on what is put on a smartphone. WinMob and BB both have free and open SDK's. Infact Apple still locks down their iPhone like fort knox. Google VS Apple anyone? That's just the latest. Jailbreaking was the only and still is the only way to open the iPhone up.

What's more both RIM and Verizon are 100 percent on the same side and will each respect and help Verizon's new VCast App Store. RIM will be pushing every app available from AppWorld to the VCast store and neither company will hurt each other when it comes to customers using either one.
    09-25-09 11:49 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD