So, I've done my due diligence and scoured the forums for 2 hours trying to find out whats wrong with my Tour. My GPS has never worked and I don't know why.

I've turned it on in the options and it should be working.

I've run the diagnostic test and it just sits there until I just cancel it. Whenever I'm in BBMaps or Google Maps, it can never find my location (BBMaps just sits on "Searching for Satellites" and GMaps just says "Waiting on GPS").

I would really like to get my GPS to function properly. Is anyone else having trouble with their GPS not working? Is this a common problem for Tours (non functioning GPS)?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    10-09-09 04:34 PM
    Have you gone out into an open area? Sometimes it needs to sit in one open place to get a reading. Although, I can sometimes (not always) get a reading in the upstairs of my house with a plywood and shingle roof.

The other day I tried getting a reading while walking near work and I could never get a lock.

You might try downloading gpslogger (see gps subforum) and see if that gets a reading. I use that while hiking and biking. It sometimes seems as if that locks in faster than some of the other map apps.

You have set the gps to be ON for sure?
    10-09-09 05:17 PM
    Yeah I had this prob as well. Had to do a million things to finally get it to work right including going through 3 phones. It is a problem some have had. Others say they use it no problem. One thing you could do really quick to see if it is hardware failure is call cs and activate vznav. then just cancel after u see if it is working. If it works on vznav, u know its not hardware failure but something is caught up somewhere. I had to do that as one of my troubleshooting techniques. Activated got it to work then canceled to know the hardware was working. After I got it to connect using vznav. Then tried bbmaps and it locked in 5 secs after i canceled still worked just took a little bit longer to lock.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-09-09 at 05:26 PM.
    10-09-09 05:23 PM
    I agree with all that F2 said...

also you might wanna make sure you got good cell service signal quality. The reason for this is because it uses the cell towers to get a basic idea of where you are before it locates you. This is called Assisted GPS (also known as aGPS)

Also I know this is very basic but you didn't say you tried this, you did do a battery pull right?

If none of this works, then I would recommend going back to Verizon and tel them what is going on as this might be a hardware failure issue.

Hope we helped!
    10-09-09 05:27 PM
    Me too, only you, on the comments above.

1) Make sure you're configured correctly on your phone.
    2) Test it outside.

Here's my configuration: GPS says "device GPS, Location On, and Enabled", in options-advanced options - GPS. If yours is like that, then your configuration is the same as mine, I'm through Verizon and it should work.

I'd say at that point, if 1 and 2 are yes above, then a quick visit to the Verizon store is definitely in order. Life's too short. Have them fix it for you.
    10-09-09 05:45 PM
    Have you gone out into an open area? Sometimes it needs to sit in one open place to get a reading. Although, I can sometimes (not always) get a reading in the upstairs of my house with a plywood and shingle roof.

The other day I tried getting a reading while walking near work and I could never get a lock.

You might try downloading gpslogger (see gps subforum) and see if that gets a reading. I use that while hiking and biking. It sometimes seems as if that locks in faster than some of the other map apps.

You have set the gps to be ON for sure?
    Thanks for trying to help.

1. I am 100% positive it's turned on!
    2. I have perfect full cell service!
    3. I've tried outdoors and indoors... nothing.

I'm at my wit's end!
    10-09-09 05:45 PM
    Me too, only you, on the comments above.

1) Make sure you're configured correctly on your phone.
    2) Test it outside.

Here's my configuration: GPS says "device GPS, Location On, and Enabled", in options-advanced options - GPS. If yours is like that, then your configuration is the same as mine, I'm through Verizon and it should work.

I'd say at that point, if 1 and 2 are yes above, then a quick visit to the Verizon store is definitely in order. Life's too short. Have them fix it for you.
    Yep... my configureation is just like yours. Ugh, I hate going to the Verizon store... they are idiots!
    10-09-09 05:46 PM
    One other thing, when you do get it to work (and I know you will), try out AMAZEGPS. It's a free navigation app, and I have been using it quite successfully. Verizon sells GPS navigation, but why fight with free?

Here's a linK: amAze - Free GPS Navigation for your mobile phone!
    10-09-09 05:48 PM
    When the Tour first came out, I saw a review on Phonearena saying the GPS was nonfunctional. I then wrote in and complained. The editors at phonearena wrote me back and said that they were able to fix their problem by reprogramming the phone (dial *228 if you have Verizon).

I'd give that a try.

Of course, it goes without saying, that you want to make sure you go through the options menus to enable GPS in the first place.
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 10-09-09 at 06:37 PM.
    10-09-09 05:50 PM
    Yep... my configureation is just like yours. Ugh, I hate going to the Verizon store... they are idiots!
    That's funny I agree. Sometimes I have better luck calling in support. Their call centers are usually pretty friendly and do their best to resolve issues. But I have found that one of my own local Verizon stores is more 'corporate' than the rest, meaning there is actually a tech-desk in the back, and the support seems to be better. Perhaps you have the same in your area? Maybe a few extra miles to a larger store would render better live service.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

t
    10-09-09 06:01 PM
    I'm not sure it matters if you don't get a gps fix but you can also try running the TEST. Go to Options/Status and then type the word "test" (no quotes). You will not see anything but the test screen will open. Go to the GPS and press the trackball to select it, Then Menu and run test. Follow directions. Again, I ran gpslogger inside my upstairs and when it got a fix and then ran the test to see what the test did!

Good luck
    10-09-09 06:04 PM
    I'm not sure it matters if you don't get a gps fix but you can also try running the TEST. Go to Options/Status and then type the word "test" (no quotes). You will not see anything but the test screen will open. Go to the GPS and press the trackball to select it, Then Menu and run test. Follow directions. Again, I ran gpslogger inside my upstairs and when it got a fix and then ran the test to see what the test did!

Good luck
    Thanks for another option, but if you noticed I stated I already ran the diagnostic test... and it just sits there trying to fix it... nothing ever happens... i've let it run for an hour and just cancelled it.
    10-09-09 06:15 PM
    That's funny I agree. Sometimes I have better luck calling in support. Their call centers are usually pretty friendly and do their best to resolve issues. But I have found that one of my own local Verizon stores is more 'corporate' than the rest, meaning there is actually a tech-desk in the back, and the support seems to be better. Perhaps you have the same in your area? Maybe a few extra miles to a larger store would render better live service.

t
    Yea, we have a tech person on location at our Verizon store...but they still always manage to say they get it to work until they try to show me
    10-09-09 06:16 PM

t
    I dialed *221 and didn't get the reprogram person... got Verizon-bot saying "annoucement 12" ... "feature update could not be completed"
    10-09-09 06:18 PM
    To me that sounds like something is FUBAR with your device...

I dialed *221 and didn't get the reprogram person... got Verizon-bot saying "annoucement 12" ... "feature update could not be completed"
    10-09-09 06:25 PM
    I think it is actually *228.
    10-09-09 06:30 PM
    it is...

i missed this part of his post...i hate being tired lol

Did you dial 228 or 221? lol
    I think it is actually *228.
    10-09-09 06:33 PM
    It was my fault - I gave him the wrong number in my earlier post. Apologies to the OP.
    10-09-09 06:37 PM
    it is...

i missed this part of his post...i hate being tired lol

Did you dial 228 or 221? lol
    Well I did both... just didn't know if 221 was something I never heard of. *228 did nothing for me....
    10-09-09 06:47 PM
    Yeah like I said don't think its just u, its not, there have been posts about it on here, and me and my wife had to go through 6 tours between the 2 of us to get 2 that work as they are supposed to. I know the majority on here will say mine works fine, but I know 4 out of 6 of mine did not.
    I dont want to go into the whole deal. but like i said call cs activate vznav. then download vznav and see if it works if it does u know your hardware works and then you can cancel vznav the same day and figure out where the hangup is. trust me at least then you know if your hardware is bad or not.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-09-09 at 07:05 PM.
    10-09-09 07:01 PM
    Yeah like I said don't think its just u, its not, there have been posts about it on here, and me and my wife had to go through 6 tours between the 2 of us to get 2 that work as they are supposed to. I know the majority on here will say mine works fine, but I know 4 out of 6 of mine did not.
    I dont want to go into the whole deal. but like i said call cs activate vznav. then download vznav and see if it works if it does u know your hardware works and then you can cancel vznav the same day and figure out where the hangup is. trust me at least then you know if your hardware is bad or not.
    Why does he need to activate VZNav? Wouldn't googlemaps or bb maps have the same result?
    10-09-09 07:09 PM
    The GPS capability on the phone is disabled until the carrier enables it from the network. You can run all the diagnostics you want but none of them are going to be able to activate it. VZW only activates GPS when a feature needs it, so what you need to do is call into VZW and add either VZ Navigator, Field Force Manager, or Family Locator to your line. After the feature gets added and you *228 your phone you can just have it removed from your account. That's because once it's turned on by Verizon it stays on, and is usable by all relevant apps. Good Luck buddy.
    10-09-09 07:10 PM
    How odd.... I was wandering why mine didn't work... Now it makes sense.... Question is if you turn on the family locator, and then turn it off will it still charge you? Which would be the cheapest way to get it to work? Wish it would work for free....
    Last edited by xEchox; 10-09-09 at 07:20 PM.
    10-09-09 07:15 PM
    How odd.... I was wandering why mine didn't work... Now it makes sense.... Question is if you turn on the family locator, and then turn it off will it still charge you?
    No. I believe its 7 days until the charge is final. You can add it and then take it off as long as its within 7 days the charge won't appear on your bill, and if you do call in and tell them you changed your mind about having the feature and they should credit you the amount.
    10-09-09 07:19 PM
    I activated VZnav and it does not work, so that failure and the failed GPS test probably says my GPS rcvr is dead. What's a good VZ store in Tampa? The one I bought my Tour from is inhabited by boneheads.

FA

PS see attached screenshots that show I am set up correctly and everything still fails. I can't get a screenshot of the VZnav failure to acquire satellites message because CaptureIt does not wirk in the Verizon app.
    10-09-09 08:45 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD