Verizon Wireless to throttle data speeds of heaviest users, optimize content; starts today | BGR | Boy Genius Report

In preparation for iPhone launch, Verizon is doing what Apple and Android vendors never wanted to bother with. It will be interesting to see the quality of images, video, and maybe...truncated emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 10:59 AM
    Oops. I've only had my DX for a little over 2 weeks.

I've used 4.055 gigs of data. Yikes!

Sorry for ruining it for everyone.

02-03-11 11:46 AM
    Throttling and compressing are not the same thing.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-03-11 11:46 AM
    Verizon Wireless to throttle data speeds of heaviest users, optimize content; starts today | BGR | Boy Genius Report

In preparation for iPhone launch, Verizon is doing what Apple and Android vendors never wanted to bother with. It will be interesting to see the quality of images, video, and maybe...truncated emails.

Just as I am about to move from a BB to a big screen Android, Verizon decides to compress video (as well as other data). THANKS, Verizon. NOT! I already complained about this new development in another thread in this forum section. I said I KNEW that Verizon getting the Jesus phone was going to bring us problems. Its not even out yet, and it's already been shown that it will impact all smartphone users.
    02-03-11 11:55 AM
    maybe verizon is alittle scared of the iphone hogging data... I guess this is better than having constant dropped calls.
    02-03-11 12:02 PM
    Just as I am about to move from a BB to a big screen Android, Verizon decides to compress video (as well as other data). THANKS, Verizon. NOT! I already complained about this new development in another thread in this forum section. I said I KNEW that Verizon getting the Jesus phone was going to bring us problems. Its not even out yet, and it's already been shown that it will impact all smartphone users.
    Verizon Wireless today warned new customers that it will throttle back data speeds on the top 5% of users who hog network bandwidth, a move apparently timed with the Feb. 10 carrier's launch of the data-hungry iPhone 4.

I suspect, no BlackBerry users will be impacted by this move.

Those that will be impacted are likley to consume over 10 Gb/Month. It is not possible to break into the top 5% with a BlackBerry.
    02-03-11 12:03 PM
    Yikes! I'm halfway there.

02-03-11 12:12 PM

Those that will be impacted are likley to consume over 10 Gb/Month. It is not possible to break into the top 5% with a BlackBerry.
    Just to throw more weight behind that: I'm at day 24 of the current cycle with 89003.4kb (or 86.9mb, 0.084gb), and I use my BlackBerry's data far more than my desktop and netbook.

02-03-11 12:57 PM
    Verizon always seemed to have silly restrictions on data usage. That's why I have Sprint (blackberry simply everything and usb air card modem). But I do have Verizon FiOS for my home connection, and I'm abundantly pleased with that so far. Plenty of bandwidth there!

02-03-11 01:19 PM
    lol some people get all in arms over nothing
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    02-03-11 01:23 PM

BlackBerry users will probably be left alone because that traffic is already being compressed on RIM's network and is smaller in comparison.

But degraded videos and images, and possibly even text content are coming to all devices.

I'm just trying to imagine the hue and cry from dainty iPhone "user experience" bloggers. Compression artifacts will look awesome on the retina display.
    02-03-11 01:47 PM
    This eventually hit all carries I suspect?

No matter, I hardly use much data....and I am constantly on mine. Still have yet to go over 250mb's in a given month.

Now my wife, she pushes 1g on her mytouch3G and she hardly is on it, lol! Trying to get her to switch again to save on our plan...

02-03-11 02:40 PM
    I wonder if Pandora streams will be further compressed too. I am so f'ing pissed off at Verizon right now--I was right to be worried for the past few months, when talk of the damned Jesus phone grew to a fever pitch. There needs to be a class action suit for degrading the quality of data. Period. Where in our contracts does it say that they are permitted to send "defective" data streams?
    02-03-11 05:58 PM
    dave you are nuts. You have lived with compression on the BB for 2 year and never bitched about it.

This was already standard practice for many devices as has been seen with youtube. They have seperate streams for different devices. Iphone got great stream quality while BBs and feature phones had less than good stream quality.

Throttling is common practice too for many networks and wont apply to most people. As mentioned you arent going to touch that magical 5%.
    02-03-11 06:08 PM
    lol some people get all in arms over nothing
    I appreciate your sanity.
    02-03-11 06:18 PM
    Interesting news. I use about 2gb a month on my Tour.
    02-03-11 06:38 PM
    I appreciate your sanity.
    what is nothing to one person, is of concern to others. YOU don't get to decide what's important for others.
    02-03-11 06:48 PM
    what is nothing to one person, is of concern to others. YOU don't get to decide what's important for others.
    Way to put words in my mouth, thanks man.

Do you really think you fall in to the top tier of data users anyway? I'd love to know how much you burn through in your storm every month to qualify.
    02-03-11 07:02 PM
    Why is the eyefone called the jesus phone?it can't turn stones in to bread or water into wine.

02-03-11 07:03 PM
    Way to put words in my mouth, thanks man.

Do you really think you fall in to the top tier of data users anyway? I'd love to know how much you burn through in your storm every month to qualify.
    No, I am not concerned about the top 5%. I am concerned about DATA COMPRESSION. Nothing more.
    02-03-11 07:11 PM
    Why is the eyefone called the jesus phone?it can't turn stones in to bread or water into wine.

are u serious? do you REALLY not know why it is referred to as the "Jesus phone"?
    02-03-11 07:11 PM
    No, I am not concerned about the top 5%. I am concerned about DATA COMPRESSION. Nothing more.
    Caps lock is cruise control to awesome town.

And does the compression really surprise you? Did anyone expect the whole "unlimited everything" to go on forever with data plans? That'd be a perfect world.
    Last edited by pdelong; 02-03-11 at 07:25 PM.
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    02-03-11 07:22 PM
    are u serious? do you REALLY not know why it is referred to as the "Jesus phone"?
    If you can't be respectful and carry on an adult conversation, maybe you shouldn't post in the forum. If someone wants to ask a question and you don't like it, go to another page. You don't have to be rude to every person you encounter.
    howarmat and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    02-03-11 07:22 PM
    Caps lock is cruise control to awesome town.

And does the compression really surprise you? Did anyone expect the whole "unlimited everything" to go on forever with data plans? That'd be a perfect world.
    There's a difference between surprise and being ticked off. I'm ticked. Deal with it. I don't like paying for compressed data that may impact my enjoyment of a device that I will be paying over $1000 a year for. That's my prerogative, just as it is YOUR prerogative to argue with my opinion. Using "perfect world" as an alternative is a cop-out, because CURRENTLY, they don't compress data.
    02-03-11 07:28 PM
    If you can't be respectful and carry on an adult conversation, maybe you shouldn't post in the forum. If someone wants to ask a question and you don't like it, go to another page. You don't have to be rude to every person you encounter.
    Calm down! I really want to know if someone really doesn't know the reason the iPhone is called the Jesus phone. (ie, I can't tell if they were being silly, or serious) that's not being disrespectful. You, however, are being condescending, so in the future, I'll try to skip over your posts so as to avoid all unpleasantness.
    Last edited by dave1812; 02-03-11 at 07:33 PM.
    02-03-11 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD