View Poll Results: What did Verizon tell you?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Storm GPS is locked

30 24.19%
  • Storm GPS is unlocked

82 66.13%
  • What's GPS?

12 9.68%
10-03-09 10:00 PM
54 123
tools
    Google Map works on my storm. It gives me my location within 1200 m.
    Then it's not working. Should be within 3 meters. You are just getting tower info.
    11-27-08 04:15 PM
    just in case everyone forgot, the BB Storm was released with a downgraded software version. The problem with the GPS being unlocked or locked should be fixed when the update for the Storm is made available.
    11-27-08 08:06 PM
    Hey everyone. I just turned my GPS radio from E911 to location on and then opened up bb maps on my Storm. It found my location with in 30 seconds. I sure hope the evil empire (Verizon) doesn't catch wind of this. I'll post more info as i get it. WoHoo!!!!!!
    11-27-08 08:48 PM
    worked for me to
    11-27-08 09:31 PM
    I don't have / won't pay for VZ Nav. Yes my internal GPS works with BB Maps. Pinpoints me perfectly. Even works in the car while moving and gave me an accurate MPH reading. I have not, however, been able to get it to work with Google maps unfortunately. Keeps telling me GPS temporarily unavailable. So it's not locked to VZ Nav use only, but it doesnt appear to work with any/all 3rd party apps.

Edit: oops. I didnt read page 2 of this thread...looks like this has already been covered
    11-27-08 09:41 PM
    BB map works perfectly in So Cal. It pulls my location correctly in seconds. Still no luck with Google map (version 2.3.2).
    11-29-08 05:51 PM
    Does anyone have Garmin up and running?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I tried getting the Garmin 7-day free trial from the Garmin mobile site (CrackBerry won't let me post any links yet).

My Storm is returned with "...not supported on this BlackBerry device..."

I have a Storm and likely getting another for my wife next month. I'm trying to decide if I should give her a standalone GPS, or if I will be able to install/use a turn-by-turn GPS on the Storm. If anyone has a trial/licensed copy of Garmin and can test it on the Storm (make sure Location On is activated), I'd appreciate it. The Garmin software is $99 from the Garmin site, and I will look around for a better price.

BTW, BB Maps works quite well. I have been using it daily since getting the Storm. Google Maps, does not. Just uses tower triangulation, not GPS. Neither of these are good for my wife anyway, as she wants a spoken turn-by-turn solution (i.e. TomTom, Garmin, Magellen, etc).
    12-07-08 01:09 PM
    The 9.99 vz nav works great with vzw. I have used the google maps on my 8330. It does not read out the directions like the vz nav does. But gets me to where I need to be.
    12-10-08 09:19 PM
    VZ nav is a ripoff. BBmaps location is right on the spot and will give you directions. (not turn by turn) If u really need turn by turn and need to use gps all the time go out and buy one for a hundred bucks and use it the rest of your life. Dont pay $10 a month when bb maps can get you anywhere.
    12-10-08 09:31 PM
    VZ nav is a ripoff. BBmaps location is right on the spot and will give you directions. (not turn by turn) If u really need turn by turn and need to use gps all the time go out and buy one for a hundred bucks and use it the rest of your life. Dont pay $10 a month when bb maps can get you anywhere.
    I kinda have to agree. I have a GPS for each vehicle. The screens are larger and they contain a lot of useful side information. Yes, I'd like to have it on my Curve, but not a biggie in my case....
    12-12-08 08:19 PM
    oops, i said locked (because it's the top item, duh...) but it's definitely unlocked. It's not a poll-worthy question. Its just a fact.
    12-13-08 02:03 AM
    the gps on the storm is unlocked, i have had no issues with the garmin software or bbmaps
    04-19-09 11:53 PM
    It is unlocked for Verizon storm users.
    04-20-09 02:55 PM
    I had never heard of that program till today. I owe you a big thanks. The program works really well. What a well kept secret. vbg.

Beeray
    04-20-09 10:06 PM
    Verizon will never unlock the GPS. DON'T BE FOOLED OR CONNED!!!!!!!!!

DO they think were are stupid? Next phone will not be Verizon. If we all ban together, we can make a difference, NO MORE Verizon!!!
    04-24-09 01:25 AM
    Google Maps works pretty well for me
    04-24-09 01:40 AM
    I thought everyone new that GPS worked fine on the storm?

this seems like pretty old news..
    05-26-09 04:47 PM
    BB maps works fine.

By default the GPS Services setting in the advanced options is set to "E911 only". Need to change this to "Location On" and then the find me option will appear on BB maps.

Google Maps doesn't seem to work. It won't pinpoint the location... says something along the line of GPS unavailable
    Hey guys Iv been using google maps with gps since I got the one jus mess with the settings and should work altho I'm new to this all my map apps locate me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 09:14 PM
    Well if your your storm is unlocked, even though Verizon has a Sim card they tend to program the phone. So just change you Mobile settings back to the Verizon one at it will work. It's like having two phone numbers in one phone.
    06-12-09 08:02 PM
    My storm GPS works fine and my girls pearl works...

Locked GPS is a lie
    06-13-09 10:21 PM
    I just got my storm a week ago and my gps isnt locked.. works perfect with google maps/bb maps. Although, you have to go into advance settings and change the gps setting from "911 only" to "Location ALL" for it to do that...
    06-15-09 02:22 PM
    I've read all the accounts of GPS being unlocked on Verizon Storms, but I downloaded Goodle Maps and another Mapping program and neither are finding the GPS on my phone. It looks like on Google maps that it is still triangulating with towers because it is still 50 meters+ off on location.
    07-28-09 06:49 PM
    The Storm has dual-mode GPS. The standard aGPS is still locked, just like all other Verizon Blackberrys. Apps that can take advantage of the dual-mode GPS can use the other mode and get around the lock, but that is a programming option. Apps have to be written to use the unlocked mode.
    07-29-09 08:42 AM
    verizon and even vodafone lock there GPS capabilities. If you would have to unlock your phone onto other service providers GPS would'nt work.
    is there a cure to this itch??
    09-02-09 08:36 AM
    [/B]
    The Storm has dual-mode GPS. The standard aGPS is still locked, just like all other Verizon Blackberrys. Apps that can take advantage of the dual-mode GPS can use the other mode and get around the lock, but that is a programming option. Apps have to be written to use the unlocked mode.
    You are correct!

In order for my Verizon Blackberry Storm to run 3rd party GPS apps (Google Maps, Blackberry Maps, BlackStar, Geocache Navigator, CacheBerry, etc) I MUST have a cell phone tower signal connection. When I am out in the wilderness where I am not getting a cell tower signal connection the GPS programs stop functioning.

Does anyone know of another 3rd party GPS app that does not have this requirement?

-MERACE
    10-03-09 01:59 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD